100 SBB from the bay. Possible?

Discussion in 'Bay fishing' started by mick, Apr 25, 2012.

1. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +47
    Help me out here...some years ago, there was a fisherman who offered something like a $250 prize to anyone who could catch 100 SBB bay within a specified time (like sunrise til 2:00 pm) would collect the cash prize. Many tried and to my knowledge, no one collected the money.

To be honest, I always figured it was a pretty good scam. One of the rules was, the guy offering the prize had to be with you to keep count. So if you didn't win, he owed you nothing. Pretty smart when you think about it. He got a free day on your boat, watching you use your best baits, in your best spots. There were a number of top notch anglers who tried and that means this guy got some really great first hand instruction. Well worth the money even if you did win. Plus the satisfaction that he was right that no one can catch 100 SBB in Sdbay withing the time limit.

So if any of you remember the details, post up and help my aging memory. Carpkiller, ahowler, lawman, fishtricks, anyone...

mick

*****UPDATE*****UPDATE*****UPDATE*****

Here are all the articles in order and in one place. Thanks again to Kellen and Ed Zieralski

2. cornfed

cornfed Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Sounds like a good scam. A prideful man would probably take him up on it without thinking. Of course, that prideful man probably didn't have to worry about guys stealing his spots. He probably has a million spots if he thinks he can catch 100 SBB in a half-day (or so). So maybe he's not giving up much. And if he's like most guys on this forum, he would probably take out the scammer - for lack of a better title - for free anyway.

But it does sound like a good deal for the scammer, regardless.

3. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,560
    I remember the deal. I think this was done through Ed Zieralski in his fish reports column in the UT. I thought the time constraints was 4 hours though.

I didn't think it was a scam though. The guy offering the prize was an established fisherman himself, I just can't think of who it was at the time. I think he was just tired of all the completely bogus claims of people catching all these bass in the bay.

Bill Schaefer may remember who it is also. I'll ask Ed and see if he remembers.

4. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +47
    Thanks Kellen. Scam probably wasn't the best word. But let's face it, the guy got to fish with the best in town at no cost and I don't care how great of a angler you are, he had to learn a boat load.

I know there was a time constraint but I can't remember what it was. It wasn't a full day though. I also believe that Bill Schaefer may have attempted the challenge.

mick

5. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,560
    Ed Zieralski came through big time and sent me copies of the articles that he wrote about it.

6. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +47
    Awesome. Thanks Kellen and thanks Ed for providing that. Lawman at 5-1...I bet that got him fired up especially with Tommy at 2-1.

That is a great piece of history and I had forgotten many of the details. I'll leave that pinned to the top for a while.

mick

7. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,560
    Ed also said that he thought Way Chen came the closest with 44.

8. ahowler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +27
    awesome read, sure would like to know everyones results.

9. cornfed

Ratings:
    +3
    How rampant were the reports of people catching 100 sbb in a day? It seems he only got a few takers, and i bet the number of "100 sbb" reports went down.

10. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +47
    As I remember it, he just basically called B.S. to anyone who claimed they could catch 50 SB in 4 hours. He invited the anglers he thought were the best at the time and had the best chance of accomplishing the task.

Since Lawman was part of it, I hope he weighs in with his account. Certainly, a great piece of San Diego fishing history.

mick

11. ahowler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +27
    When I read this at first I thought they meant Spotted Bay Bass hench the SBB. I know that can be done, but sand bass have always been lower numbers in my boat. I target the South Bay and see very few sand bass, my friend Bruce caught the biggest sand bass from my boats in the south bay and it was a little over three pounds.

12. ahowler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +27
    On another note I think giving Tommy Gomes second odds is pushin it unless he was using a spinning reel. Seems everytime I have fished with him every three to four cast he is diggin out a gnarley bird nest. I also know his boat will not turn right out of Shelter Island so that leaves alot of good sandy spots untouched.

13. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +47
    I found more info and posted it in the first post in this thread

14. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,254
    I would like to see this offer pop up again someday ;)

15. Lord Matthew34

Lord Matthew34 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME Read!!!!!

16. cornfed

Ratings:
    +3
    I gotta say this is one of the best reads on this forum in a long time.

17. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +47
    Kind of funny. A couple of weeks back ahowler posted that he had a great day and caught over 100 SBB. Fishtricks came back and said "no one can catch 100 bass" That's when the light went on and I could remember some of the details of this challenge. Kellen came through by contacting Ed and now we have the story.

Pretty cool

mick

18. ReedViaNorCal

ReedViaNorCal Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Great read indeed. I am glad that I moved to an area where I have access to great fishing!

19. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +556
    Ummm, sarcasm much?

20. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +47
    Me or someone else? Too cryptic from my aging brain

mick