San Diego Bay Halibut

Discussion in 'Bay fishing' started by Paul the Great, May 26, 2012.

1. Paul the Great

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +183
    [​IMG]

I cant make this stuff up. I am the greatest bay halibut angler on sdfish.

2. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +556
    Hectic! Best halibut picture I've ever seen.

3. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +47
    That's an all star lineup for sure. Nice work!

mick

4. tsilmaro

tsilmaro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Re: Re: San Diego Bay Halibut

I definitely agree. Help me out with some tips!

5. facedownbassup

facedownbassup New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    what did you catch them on live bait or artificials? looks like an epic day!

6. WHEREtheFISHare86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +36
    Whats the trick? Location?

7. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,254
    I didnt expect anything less Paul, congrats on the haul :)

8. Paul the Great

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +183
    [​IMG]
    This is my daughter, Number 2. I cant keep track of my kids names so I identify her as Number 2. My first daughter is Number 1.

Number 2 put the sardine on the hook, released the clutch, let out line, clicked the reel into gear, held the pole, let us all know that in a few minutes she would have a legal halibut, and about a minute later, she was right. She reeled in and gaffed her own fish. I had just netted my dads umteenth halibut and the hooks were tangled in the net. I told Number 2 to hang on while I get the net ready. She said, "No dad! I see color and its a big legal hog, get the gold gaff!" So I did. Then she said, "Dad, I want to stick it, so take my pole and dont mess it up." So I held the pole for her and she leaned over the rail and stuck the fish and hauled it in over the rail. She even managed to stick it in the bottom of the lip so as not to ruin the meat. She loves halibut and doesnt want any to go to waste, so she goes for lip shots.

9. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +47
    Very nice Paul. Congrats to your daughter (#2) on her catch. I like the Number 1 and Number 2 approach. Kind of like George Foreman naming all his kids George...

mick

10. sdbuild1

sdbuild1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Wow, that looks a lot more exciting than catching a bunch of bass.

11. gascon

gascon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Great pics but have heard of C&R? :)

12. Lawman

Lawman Attorney at Law
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +405
    Boat:
    CC
    Personal Best Catches:
    Calico Bass 13.1
    The pic confirms you are a solid meat hunter. Being better than everyone else on SD Fish is not saying much. There are not than many people on SD Fish who actually go fishing in private boats. Its only a handful.

13. Paul the Great

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +183
    Gascon, we released 19 halibut. We released all the bass and sharks and gave every single lizard fish to the pelicans. I dont post reports to be judged or told anyones opinon about anything. Im lloking for other guys who do similar things and have something to offer.
    Lawman, there are five thousand or so members on sdfish, including you, and Im the best. Also, there is no sd bay angler out there who can catch more or bigger halibut regularly. Also, I will take anyone with me and I freely share all my spots and information. Being the greatest has allowed me a platform to show anybody who is interested how to have a good time.
    Im selfless, generous, happy, and full of it. I am who you think I am.

14. Lawman

Lawman Attorney at Law
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +405
    Boat:
    CC
    Personal Best Catches:
    Calico Bass 13.1
    Paul: There are 5,000 members on SD Fish and 5 private boat anglers who fish in Saltwater. Look at the Saltwater reports. There are few if any each week. I just looked and there are two from the weekend. One boat caught a tiny Baracuda and the other boat was mine and we had a great day on quality Calico bass. Most of the time the Saltwater forum can go weeks without a single report. Other than Scott, you are the only other boater targeting Halibut. Scott had some Halibut photos posted up from the weekend. I don't fish for Halibut. However, I caught a nice legal one like in your pictures in MB on Saturday while fishing for Bass.

Big WSB have been going off in La Jolla for several weeks. Yet I have not seen a single private boater report on SD Fish for all of 2012. Yellowtail have been busting out here and there from the Coronados to La Jolla, yet, not one single private boater report. I have to go to other websites to get those reports. The entire Saltwater reports for 2012 comprise less than one page. I made the first report of 2012 from a trip to the Pipe with Bill Schaefer. How is it possible that these 5,000 member couldn't get one WSB or a Yellowtail. In 5 months we have 9 private boater reports other than from me. We have only 2 pages of Bay Reports for all of 5 months of 2012. Under your theory of who is the best, would you then say I'm the best Saltwater Angler fishing outside of the Bays on SD Fish? I have zero competition. You can't measure the best against a field of 5,000 who don't fish. In the first 5 months of 2012 I have caught more Calico Bass than all others on SD Fish combined for all of 2012 and likely including 5 months into 2013. Its an easy accomplishment when only a handful of the 5,000 actually fish in Saltwater.

15. Paul the Great

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +183
    Bill, you make excellent and valid points. Have you just stated that I am the greatest bay halibut angler?

You have also posted a picture of your biggest calico with a boat full of tiny dead calicos. You are a meat hunter. As a matter of fact, you have posted the one picture with the most little dead calicos on sdfish so you are the greatest meat hunting, calico killing angler on sdfish.

Whoever wants to come with me is welcome, so long as you have something to offer in exchange.

Hunter are, and have always been, the greatest conservationists on earth ever. Hunters are the reason for the bountiful game we have these days. Fact.

16. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +556
    Plus, hunters eat better lunches.

17. Lawman

Lawman Attorney at Law
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +405
    Boat:
    CC
    Personal Best Catches:
    Calico Bass 13.1
    To Paul: Of the two Halibut anglers on all of SD Fish; I hereby select you as better than Scott. You are the number 1 bay Halibut angler. However, I pick him over you for every other species of fish in the bay.

The best Halibut angler in San Diego County is Capt Ron Baker. No other boat catches as many as him and as big as what his boat brings aboard.

18. Paul the Great

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +183
    Lawman, please post the exact numbers of halibut that Ron Baker has personaly landed this year and his largest. I will post a photograph of my largest this year and my total number of legal halibut if he has me beat. I doubt it. Prove it. I can validate every single one of my landed halibut. I would like for you to post and validate all his halibut this year.

Scott is a proficient bay angler. I haved fished with him once and he caught a 18" and a 20" halibut on rubber flukes and I caught none. We both caught a bunch of plain old sand bass. Aside of that one outing, I have not witnessed the fly fishing for carp or other rediculous ways he catches fish. He catches them. Lots of them. He has put in many hours.

On bay species:
    -Lobster. Has Scott caught more or bigger lobster than me? No. Nobody has. Im the greatest bay lobster fisherman. And crab fisherman.

-Black Sea Bass. Not Scott or anyone else has caught more or bigger ones than me. Give it up to the greatest Black Sea Bass catcher in the bay.

Barracuda-13 pounds, trolling for them in the bay.

-Corvina. 9lbs baby. Beat it or pound sand.

-Regular sand bass. Similar 8 pounders. Ive caught more. Ive finished in the top section of the OBBT. Ive finished higher than Ron Baker in the OBBT. I have not seen Scott at any OBBT.

-Calico bass. Scott. No contest. Even though he held a tournament with his own rules, and he weighed in none, he is still better than me. Ive never once fished to target calico bass in the bay.

-Spotted bay bass. Who cares. They are stupid tiny bass that all look the same. They dont get big. They are a nuisance fish.

-Sharks. Who cares. They also get in the way. I have boated all the regular sharks; sand, smoothhound, shovelnose, angel, leopard sharks, giant rays and other worthless sharkfin soup animals.

So there you have it, more and bigger lobster, crabs, black sea bass, barracuda, corvina, sand bass (equallish), and he has me beat in the calico dept. So is there other species you can think of that he is better than me, or is this just another one of your invalid, unproven opinions. On paper, as far as the numbers go, and facts, its not even a contest.

Toot toot. Thats me and my horn.

Eating meat that you killed might be the raddest thing to legally do these days.

19. Baja Belk

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +57
    I am the greatest Mantis Shrimp bay guide on SDfish:

[​IMG]

I am the greatest braid bird-nester on SDfish:

[​IMG]

I am the greatest lizard fish butcher on SDfish:

[​IMG]

I am the greatest 9 mile bank juvenile blue shark fisherman on SDfish:

[​IMG]

I am the greatest eyeball fisherman on SDfish:

[​IMG]

I am not the greatest narcissistic pontificator on SDfish. That title is in dispute.

:)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  20. WHEREtheFISHare86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +36
    Those are some good points guys.
    I def. would like to be seeing some more reports. I fish every week, and post my reports, but I would like to hear from others on how to perfect my skills, location, tactics. This board is meant to come together and share info.
    It would not have been created to not be used. Anyways killer report on the Halibut Paul. I want to learn how to find halibut in those numbers.
    I usually catch a few whenever I fish the bay, but I am not targeting them necessarily, and not using live bait. Would like you to show me the ropes some time.