Halibut from San Diego Bay Safe to Eat?

Discussion in 'Bays & lagoons' started by jpnoel, Sep 6, 2009.

1. jpnoel

jpnoel New Member

Hi All.

Rather new to the forum and just started fishing from my kayak. I began targeting halibut and have done nicely. First trip out of Tidelands paddled south of the bridge on the east edge of the channel, I managed to land two legal halibut - one 35 inches the other 27 inches. Provided plenty of nice eating for several weeks.

My question though concerns the safety of eating fish out of the bay and how much per month would be considered safe if you must consume. I saw last night the postings near the Shelter Island launch about the heavy metal contamination of bay bass and to limit one's monthly consumption. I am not a bass eater so wondering about the halibut. I imagine the bass may be more of problem if they are resident in the bay. With the halibut, do they move into and out of the bay making them a bit safer for consumption? They are wonderful eating and I am conservative in keeping only a couple for monthly consumption but now worried about whether they are really worth keeping and eating. Maybe at my age beyond the breeding stage its not an issue but my kids, their friends and guests ....

Sorry for the long post.

Joe

P.S. By the way, Rick from bestofbiggame is a terrific guy. He set me up with outstanding bounceball rigs and advice. First time out, two fish and both legal. Use large target bait!
  2. Roy Justice

Roy Justice New Member

No! I think you need to release them all. JK
  3. mikecheck

mikecheck New Member

4. mick

mick Staff Member SDFish VIP

As long as you're not pregnant and are eating in moderation, you'll be fine.
  5. Paul the Great

Paul the Great Well-Known Member

jpnoel,
    Thats a fair question.

None of the readers on sdfish, myself included, are qualified to give an accurate answer. You need to contact a rep from the USDA or FDA and get the facts.

There are no warnings published by any group or authority in regards to eating halibut and the health concerns associated.

Of course, you might eat tons of fried halibut, drink cases of Coors light, then sue me because I said it was safe and now your 800 pounds.

Our GI tracts will digest just about anything. Im sure youve eaten worse things than snow white halibut meat. You eat lobster dont you? Thats on disgusting animal with a messy lifestyle that eats only dead and decaying things, but they taste great. Very high in cholesterol, like all shellfish, but Id rather die of eathing well than die a life of a coward, afraid to eat something.

Every man must die, not all men live.

Eat that fish!

The only thing that doesnt want you to eat halibut is the halibut, and hippies.
  6. bUtT_sEeKeR

bUtT_sEeKeR Well-Known Member

congratz on your nice buttz man.havent caught a nice one in the bay lately what did you use for bait and was it recently? Like the other members said you should be fine if you eat the fish in moderation.

But 2 things to consider tho,

1. If you make sashimi out of it be careful because bottomfish tend get worm in their flesh. natural part of their life cycle. I always check my fillets with a flashlight and if there are worms in them then i decide to cook them. BEER BATTERED FISH TACOS!!! YUM!

2. The larger fish will have accumalated more mercury in its flesh then the smaller fish because they will have fed on so many more baitfish(which contains mecury as well)than their younger siblings.

just my 2 cents..

pan.
  7. Paul the Great

According to the 2005 Pier Fishers Survey results conducted by the Environmental Health Coalition, of the 109 fishers surveyed:

96% were Latino or Filipino
    Over half fished at least once a week
    Almost two-thirds of the fishers eat the fish they catch

I didnt write it, just copy and paste.

This group of humans is not suffering with birth defects or medical problems, they are florishing and reproducing like nobodies business.

Now there is also no evidence that eating all the fish has harmed my brain. There is a worm up there eating my brain, this is directly responsible for many of my posts. Lead from shooting animals that I eat might explain some of the maddness, also.
  8. bassmaster20

bassmaster20 Well-Known Member

Paul when are u going to start posting again ? i miss u
  9. Paul the Great

Bassmaster20, I just posted, you responded to it.

I said I will no longer ever post a fishing or hunting report and I wont show pictures. I will lurk and stir the pot. Thats it.

Were waiting for someone else, like you, the BASSMASTER to show a fish picture or report.
  10. ericedb

ericedb New Member

Its going to be tough for bassmaster20 since he doesn't own a camera