Catfish: The warm September has favored anglers fishing for catfish. The bite is reported best in the early morning but steady throughout the day. Anglers were catching catfish in Sentry Cove and Shadow Cove with mackerel as bait.
Bass: Anglers were reported catching bass along the campground shoreline, Sentry Cove, and Hermit Cove.
Trout: The first trout stocking of the season is typically in November. The water temperature must decrease to 72 degrees Fahrenheit before our first stocking. A stocking schedule and event details on the trout opener will be announced in the coming weeks.
Catches of the Week
- Julian Vargas (pictured), age 12, reeled in a 3 lb 8 oz catfish from Sentry Cove on mackerel. Julian was fishing with Lalito Gonzalez – together they caught 5 catfish with the largest weighing 8 pounds!
Lake Jennings is looking to hire an Assistant Maintenance Ranger. A job description and application can be found on hwd.com under “careers”.
Do you miss Night Fishing season? Good News! Lake Jennings will be open until midnight on Saturday, October 15th for Full Moon Fishing! A full sized lantern is required after 8 p.m. Boats are available on a first come, first served basis.
All five tipis are up and available for rent at the campground! Our Sioux style tipis are 20’ in diameter and have a vinyl floor covering. To make a reservation, please visit our website or call (619) 390-1623. The tipis rent for $65/night Sunday- Thursday and $75/night Fridays, Saturdays, and holidays.
Tips and Tricks
- Best Trout Spots: Buoy Lines, T-dock
- Best Trout Lures/Bait: Night crawlers
- Best Bass Spots: Half Moon Cove, Hermit Cove
- Best Bass Lures/Bait: Drop-shot, Texas rig, Senkos
- Best Catfish Spots: Half Moon Cove, Siesta Cove
- Best Catfish Bait: Mackerel, chicken liver, dough baits
- Best Panfish Spot: Siesta Cove
- Best Panfish Lures/Bait: Nightcrawlers and mealworms
The weekend before Halloween is going to be filled with spooky fun! On Friday, Oct. 28th, join us for ghost stories and s’mores around the campfire at 7 p.m. The fun continues on Saturday with trick or treating at 4 p.m. and judging for campsite decorating contest at 6 p.m.! Creepy Craft Time will be at 11 a.m. in the Pavilion on Sunday. Don’t miss out- reserve a site now!
- (619) 390-1623 Campground
- (619) 443-2510 Bait and Tackle Shop
- Campground Kiosk [Daily]: 7:30 a.m.– 5 p.m.
- Lake [Fri, Sat, & Sun]: 6:00 a.m. –7:30 p.m.