What I thought was perfect weather for fishing was not what the fish thought. There was a bite going on for both trout and bass but it was a slow one for anglers fishing shore and boat. No reports of limits this week and no word on panfish or catfish.
Lake Jennings will be open on Monday, February 16th in observance of President’s Day. With the 3-day weekend you might want to reserve your site soon and capture the full experience of camping and fishing. Lake Jennings stocked 1,000 pounds of Sierra Bow Trout last week and has another 1,000 pounds coming in this week. The total stocked after this week is 14,400 pounds of both Sierra Bows and Nebraska Tailwalkers ranging from 2 to 12 pounds in size. We still have 7,600 pounds to go for the season giving a total of 22,000 pounds. Keep up to date for a change to the stocking schedule since we may see some “Lightning” trout coming in soon in addition to an extra stocking for the season. The best way to stay up to date is to sign up for the “Lake Jennings Fishermen’s News” which you can have emailed right to you on a weekly basis. Simply visit online to sign up at www.LakeJennings.org.
We are now one month in to the New Year which means you will need a 2015 California State Fishing License is required to fish at Lake Jennings for all anglers age 16 and above. We don’t sell the license so please purchase one before you come out. State fishing licenses can be purchased at your local bait and tackle shop, Wal-Mart or online at https://www.ca.wildlifelicense.com/InternetSales/.
ATTENTION ALL TROUT FISHERMEN…… Don’t forget to bring your catch by the Bait & Tackle shop to be verified and to be entered into the monthly giveaway for the “Largest Trout” of the month sponsored by your local Turner’s Outdoorsman in El Cajon. Prizes for the monthly giveaways are picked up at the Lake Jennings Bait & Tackle Shop on Friday, Saturday or Sunday during normal lake hours of operation.
The winner for January 2015 goes out to a local fisherman who certainly puts in his time. Congratulations Gerritt Wallace for your catch of a 12 pound 3 ounce Nebraska Tailwalker. Gerritt wins a very nice trout rod and reel combo by Daiwa. A huge thank you goes out to Turner’s Outdoorsman of El Cajon for sponsoring this event for the entire trout season.
There are also “Tagged Trout” which must be verified in order to redeem your prize. Blue tags get you two fishing passes for Lake Jennings and all other colors are for Turner’s Outdoorsman. Turner’s tags are numbered and can be matched to the prize at the Bait & Tackle Shop. Once verified and recorded, you simply visit the new Turner’s Outdoorsman in El Cajon to redeem your prize.
REMINDER…… Fishing is allowed during the week when the lake is closed by visiting the campground kiosk between the hours of 7:30 am to 5:00 pm. Purchase your permit to fish and be sure to record your trout at the kiosk so you can be entered in to the monthly giveaway.
The Lake Jennings Campground has availability for the upcoming months so grab your camping and fishing gear and get an early start each morning. Plus, every Saturday there’s Arts & Crafts, S’mores, a campfire and storytelling for all registered campers and their friends.
Sign up today to receive the weekly “Fishermen’s News” by email, this is a great way to stay up to date on what’s working and what’s not; we want you to catch fish! For more updates and/or to post comments, visit www.LakeJennings.org, “Like Us” on Facebook or go to https://www.facebook.com/LakeJenningsRecreation.
For questions or more information check out the links below or call at 619.390.1623 and we would be happy to assist.
Best Trout Spots: Cactus Patch, Half Moon, Sentry Point
Best Trout Lures/Bait: Nightcrawlers, PowerBait, PowerWorms and Mini Jigs
Best Bass Spots: Around 40-50 feet in depths
Best Bass Lures/Bait: Drop-shot, swimbaits
Best Panfish Spots: Entrance to the coves
Best Panfish Lures/Bait: Mealworms and Nightcrawlers
Best Catfish Spots: Deeper waters
Best Catfish Bait: Mackerel, Chicken Liver, or Dough Bait
The “Catch of the Week” goes out to:
- Tyler Reese of Ramona spent the weekend fishing with his daughter and landed two real nice trout over the weekend. The first at 7 ¾ pounds and the second was a whopper weighing in at 9 ½ pounds. Tyler was using PowerWorms fishing from Hermit Cove.
- Chris Redquest of Allied Gardens landed a whopper weighing in at an even 10 pounds. Chris was using a Gold Kastmaster fishing Hermit Cove.
- Lake Jennings will be open on Monday, February 16th in observance of President’s Day.
- “Tagged Trout” will go on until the end of the trout season and all tags must be verified at the Bait & Tackle shop.
- Enter the monthly giveaway for the “Largest Trout” caught each month. Weigh-ins must be verified at the Bait & Tackle Shop and if you’re fishing during the week, you can have your catch verified at the campground kiosk.
- This months winner is Gerritt Wallace from El Cajon. Congratulations Gerrit.
- If you’re interested in hosting a “Fishing Tournament” or “Special Event” at Lake Jennings, check out the venue options or contact Ranger Dave Acevedo at: David.Acevedo@HelixWater.org or 619.390.1623. For more information on the Lake Jennings Venue Rental program visit: http://www.lakejennings.org/news/venue-rental.htm.
Water Temperature: 60.8 degrees
Note New Lake Hours: Friday, Saturday, Sunday
Open at 6:00 am, Close at 5:00 pm.
Fishing University at the Bait & Tackle shop every Saturday morning at 10:00 am for all ages and levels.