- Russell Paik of Poway, 11.25lb Rainbow on powerbait
- Drew O’Rourke of San Diego, 9lb Rainbow on powerbait
- David King of Penesquitos, 9lb Rainbow on powerbait
- Scott Kellhofer of Poway, 7lb Rainbow on powerbait
Trout Season Stock Schedule
- November 25, Thursday 4,000 pounds [STOCKED]
50% Trophies (7lbs and up)
- December 8, Wednesday 1,500 pounds [STOCKED]
- December 22, Wednesday 1,500 pounds [STOCKED]
- December 29, Wednesday 1,500 pounds [STOCKED]
- January 19, Wednesday 1,500 pounds
- February 2, Wednesday 2,000 pounds
Youth Fishing Derby, 2/5/2011
Lake closed 2/2/2011, 12pm Wednesday to start of the Derby
- February 23, Wednesday 1,500 pounds
- March 9, Wednesday 3,000 pounds
Open Trout Derby, 3/12/2011
Lake closed 3/9/2011, 12pm Wednesday to start of the Derby
- March 23, Wednesday 1,500 pounds
- April 6, Wednesday 1,500 pounds
- April 20, Wednesday 1,500 pounds
25% TROPHIES in each stock
Schedule subject to change without notice
For up to date information - 858-668-4772
Derbies – Youth Fishing Derby will be held on Saturday February 5 from sunrise to 12pm. 2,000 pounds of Rainbow Trout will be stocked for this event. In preparation for the derby Lake Poway will be closed to fishing and boating Wednesday February 2 at 12pm until sunrise Saturday February 5.
Open Trout Derby will be held on Saturday March 12 from sunrise to 6pm. The Open Derby will be a one day event this year. 3,000 pounds of Rainbow Trout with 25% Trophies will be stocked for this event. In preparation for the derby Lake Poway will be closed to fishing and boating Wednesday March 9 at 12pm until sunrise Saturday March 12.
Hours – During the months of November through May the gates to Lake Poway will open at sunrise and close at sunset. If you would like an official opening / closing time schedule please send an e-mail to
Rate Changes – Senior (55+) and Military discount rates for fishing permits and boat rentals are now available every day that Lake Poway is open for fishing and boating.
10 Day Permits – Adult 10 Day Permits will no longer be sold. All Adult 10 Day Permits will expire on October 31, 2011. Senior and Youth 10 Day Permits will continue to as normal.
Fishing Requirements – A State of California Fishing License is no longer required to fish at Lake Poway. Each angler is allowed to use a maximum of two rods. The trout limit is now 4 trout.
Adults (anyone 16 years of age and older) require only a City of Poway Adult Fishing permit to fish at Lake Poway. Youths between the ages of 8 and 15 years of age only require a Youth Fishing permit. Youths under the age of 8 only require a Youth Fishing permit when their accompanying adult is not fishing. All permits can be purchased at the Lake Poway Grill & Tackle. You must carry your permit with you at all times.
Quagga Mussels - In order to protect the integrity of the Lake Poway water system the following temporary restrictions are now in effect. Until further notice, the following items are prohibited at Lake Poway:
• Float tubes
• Private motors and anchors
• Live Bait Containers
• Fish Finders
• Floating Catch Baskets
• Live Bait (shiners, crawdads, etc) from any source other than the Lake Poway Concession
• Any other items, determined by Staff, to be potential contaminants
No Smoking at Lake Poway - Smoking is prohibited on Lake Poway, in the park and on the trails. Smoking is only permitted in the designated smoking area that is located on the Northeast side of the Lake Poway Grill & Tackle building.
Bass Pass Rules and Regulations*
This pass is for bass fishing only. Fishing for species other than bass is prohibited with this permit. If you would like to fish for Catfish, Trout, Bluegill, Sunfish or Carp you must have a Daily Fishing permit, the Bass Pass does not apply. Catching trout or catfish while chasing bass is inevitable but hooking up more than a couple of times a season is not common.
The following are an example of reasons that a Bass Pass may get revoked:
Staff determines that you are fishing for fish other than bass
- If the pass is transferred
- If the pass does not have your name printed on it
- You are fishing in a No Fishing Area
- Casting at the dock
- You are catching trout or catfish on a consistent basis
- If your gear has any of the following tackle and or bait
- Thomas Bouyants
- Rapalas (small)
- Bright plastic trout worms
*Rules are subject to interpretation by staff and are subject to change without notice.
INFORMATION Park Ranger Office: (858) 668-4772
Lake Poway Grill & Tackle: (858) 486-1234
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING OUTDOOR RECREATION & LAKE POWAY