The magnificent blue marlin is thought to be the largest marlin caught in California since 1931. Santora and Vo weighed the fish on the certified scale at The Marlin Club of San Diego on Shelter Island.
In The Marlin Club’s database of historic catches, this one will land at the very top. Previous to this, the largest fish recorded by The Marlin Club was a 390.5 pound swordfish caught in August of 1980. The state record for blue marlin was caught in August of 1931 and weighed 692 pounds, weighed at the Balboa Angling Club in Orange County. The largest fish ever caught and weighed in California was a 1,098.75 pound shortfin mako shark in 2010.
Santora and Vo were trolling for marlin with the green jig in the photo, aboard Santora’s 21′ boat. Santora fought the fish while Vo captained the boat, eventually landing the fish after a 2 hour battle mid-morning. It was reportedly hooked within 10 miles of San Diego Bay.
Also see other incredible fish stories of 2015
- Unbelievable catch from the Mission Bay Jetty
- Video: Killer whales chase fishermen in boat 5 miles off San Diego
- 15 fish oarfish washes up on local beach
- Video: Tuna speared from dock in harbor
- Spearfisherman lands 413-pound marlin (San Diego Union Tribune)