Ratings old_rookie has given

1. old_rookie rated William Ritchie's post Helpful in the thread My first legal halibut.

Extra Wide Gap worm hook , the one that was used on these fish has lead cast onto the shank hence weighted . WR

Jun 16, 2022
  2. old_rookie rated Werfless's post Helpful in the thread Guide replacement.

Gently,, razor blade and a lighter will get it done

Jun 13, 2022
  3. old_rookie rated oldfogey's post Helpful in the thread Guide replacement.

Use a heat gun or a Bic lighter and gently wave it on the finish to soften it a bit then use a razor knife to get one thread loose...

Jun 13, 2022
  4. old_rookie rated skrilla's post Helpful in the thread Roof mounting kayak.

I use the Cable Cuff for flappy strap ends.

Jun 12, 2022
  5. old_rookie rated camobass's post Helpful in the thread Roof mounting kayak.

I hauled mine from Sd to Missouri many times on the roof with two bars and two straps with zero issues. Upside down, being a hobie,...

Jun 10, 2022
  6. old_rookie rated Mike M's post Helpful in the thread Shark-A_Plooza.

Nice catching, Butch. My go-to rig for sand crabs is similar to Werf's. I'm convinced the bead helps attract fish. [ATTACH]

Jun 7, 2022
  7. old_rookie rated oldfogey's post Helpful in the thread ghost shrimp pump?.

Squidco

Jun 6, 2022
  8. old_rookie rated Jenx's post Helpful in the thread ghost shrimp pump?.

If you like DIY projects you can build one yourself, or make it a project to work on with the grandkids. There are plenty of videos...

Jun 6, 2022
  9. old_rookie rated oldfogey's post Helpful in the thread Repairing guide rings.

Yes replace the guides. Based on the way you use and store them I'd say go with solid stainless ring guides......no inserts

Jun 3, 2022
  10. old_rookie rated Werfless's post Helpful in the thread LC hardbait alternatives for the surf.

Sp minnow, hydro minnow, Kroc, deadly d!ck. Kastmaster and KM XL, even bucktails and swimbaits, grubs etc all get the job done. I even...

Jun 3, 2022
  11. old_rookie rated Mike M's post Helpful in the thread Pacific Beach Conditions and Sand Crabs?.

Here's a link to the live webcam at the Pacific Terrace Hotel, Live Webcam from Pacific Beach | Pacific Terrace Hotel

May 17, 2022
  12. old_rookie rated oldfogey's post Helpful in the thread What are you working on?.

Another handy item when servicing reels is a one gallon zip lock bag. What for? Some reels have little springs etc that tend to go...

May 17, 2022
  13. old_rookie rated Werfless's post Helpful in the thread Mission Bay 5/15.

Hydraulic clam pumps got outlawed, the hand operated ones are still legal

May 16, 2022
  14. old_rookie rated camobass's post Helpful in the thread good hardbait for surf?.

The “hardest” bait you can throw. The Croc. Although, I admit, I’ve gotten more butts and by catches on a jerk bait. Also, when...

May 13, 2022
  15. old_rookie rated Bassnbeans's post Helpful in the thread good hardbait for surf?.

Well, if you’re flexible on “hard” and depending on your target species; check out the DOA shrimp lures. Have had luck in SoCal and the...

May 10, 2022
  16. old_rookie rated YNW_FISHY's post Helpful in the thread good hardbait for surf?.

Nothing more enjoyable than a big blowup on a popper might try that if I were you

May 10, 2022
  17. old_rookie rated Mike M's post Helpful in the thread good hardbait for surf?.

Use a sharpie or fingernail polish to add a pink strip down the belly (LC Cherry Berry color) [ATTACH] [ATTACH]

May 10, 2022
  18. old_rookie rated Easy619's post Helpful in the thread good hardbait for surf?.

The rapala husky jerk has awesome action but it casts like crap and swims deep. More of a boat lure in my opinion, or jetty. Rapala...

May 10, 2022
  19. old_rookie rated Werfless's post Helpful in the thread good hardbait for surf?.

Sardine, bone, that orange one is good too, black n white works also

May 10, 2022
  20. old_rookie rated Werfless's post Helpful in the thread good hardbait for surf?.

Daiwa SP minnow is my go to. The yo zuri hydro minnows have a good reputation as well

May 10, 2022