1/5-Murray: Starting the New Year

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by VinnyBass, Jan 5, 2021.

1. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +17,672
    It is January and normally the bass are down in deep water like they have been every January with me dropping spoons and ice jigs down 40-60 feet waiting for a tug on my line. I had pretty good success the last few years doing just that. Well.....things change and after trying to locate bass in deep water today, I guess being flexible sometimes pays off. I did pick up one dink on a Jiparra spoon so that was it for deep water today. I fished a few points working worms in 18-25 feet of water and missed a couple bites and then just for the heck of it later went in to work the tulles. I figured maybe there are still a few in there in shallower water. I worked a few areas and was daydreaming thinking about going back out and work some more spoons and missed a nice bite on a craw bait in the tulles. That motivated me and kept tossing craw baits and senkos in the tulles and was able to land 4 more bass and had another came up-buttoned while he was wrapped up in the tulles with me heading over to try to grab him. I hate when I start thinking of the bass that I missed or didn't catch.....but that is just part of the game of fishing.
    None of the bass were that big, but it was still fun to pull out a limit to start off the New Year. :)

1:5 Jipqrra.PNG
    nice 1 Jan 5 not.PNG
    1:5 small.PNG
    nice 1 Jan 5.PNG
    Small 1 Jan 5.PNG

ah heck.. sorry...but thought I would sneak
    this in.....here is my last bass of 2020(Dec. 31) on
    a Jiparra spoon. Hopefully the spoon bite will pick up soon.
    sppon 31.PNG

#1 VinnyBass, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 24
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,072
    good call, i can tell you my livewell from yesterday , had crawdad pieces.

3. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +17,672
    Traditionally, I throw a lot of craw type baits from late October on... as the bass are eating plenty of them(mixed in with the shad) preparing for the winter. I normally just fish them off the points..... but I guess bass look for crawdads in the tulles too...ha ha

4. MrChatterBait

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +860
    Nice angling Vinny. Way to start off 2021 on a positive note.

5. Craig T

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +393
    Good job on finding the bass Vinny. How many times do we hit the lake and automatically think winter (deep) spring (shallow) and so on. Fishnfreak and myself yesterday fished San Vee and found bass in 5-10 ft of water near rocks. You never know and we never stop learning.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +17,672
    I have over 4.000 photos on my phone and I use them at times mostly as a reference on what I was using or doing last year at this same time of the year or even go back a few years ago. It helps sometimes and at least gives me a reference to what I might try in the present day. Again...nothing is guaranteed as normally I would be in 40-60 feet of water working spoons........I guess trying new things is the key and there is always room to learn in bass fishing. You guys did a great job finding those bass in tight at San V. Tight lines always!

7. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +17,672
    Nice job out at San V....enjoyed your report and hope to see lots more in the New Year. Tight lines always! :)

8. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +17,672
    Speaking of crawdad pieces....it just reminded me that during the summer I caught a bass on a topwater lure(Jackall Riser). When I was taking the lure off, I could not believe it but there was a crawdad with the pinchers and part of his head deep in his throat being digested and a couple small shad in his mouth. Geez....that guy sure must have been hungry to eat a crawdad on the bottom, eat some had and slam my topwater bait in about 25 feet of water....ha ha. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,940
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    TULLE DIPPIN !!! way to catch some nice ones!! Tulle dippin is addictive!! and happy new year

10. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +17,672
    I have tossed plastic worms along the tulles, in front of the tulles and in between them here and there over the years....but only halfway into last year have I actually pitched into the tulles. It has been so fun and I think of all the years I could have been doing this. I tried a few times with a Texas rig and the line would get tangled in the tulles and tried a jig sometimes and would get snagged too much. I have to thank my buddy Larry who one day last year gave me some sinker stops and told me to put it close to the weight on the Texas rig so the bait can drop better in between the tulles. I started to catch a few bass after that and it was very exciting way to fish. Such a simple concept. One day I tried a Tokyo rig but was skeptical that the bass would see the wire and not bite the bait.....and when I caught my first bass, I figured it was just lucky. Then after catching more bass on it....I knew the bass did not care about the wire and weight hanging down form that rig and use it with more confidence now and you are right as tulle dipping is addictive!

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  11. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,225
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    As close to a New Year's limit as you can get without actually catching one! Good job VinnyBass !

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,370
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Good job Mr. Vinnybass!! What a crazy winter so far, I'm catching them at the V in 2'-10' of water, you're getting them in the tulles at the Murr! Plus, almost no topwater at Murray this year! With this mild winter, the fish can't decide if it's October or March! I've already seen fish that looked interested in nest building, pretty darn early! I guess I'm gonna have to use my BPS gift cards and get some of those new-fangled Japanese baits before I go back to the Murr!

13. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,225
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Or make your own. I bought way more Spinnerbait wires than I will use. All you need is swivels and split
    rings... oh and hooks, hooks would be nice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  14. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,370
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Oh, I never use hooks..unkind to the fish..I just hope they hold tight onto the lure..way more humane!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +17,672
    I’m already ahead of you I have the hooks, the swivels, the rings and just need the wire.....and you can actually use a paperclip if you choose to.
    mcfish will save money by not buying hooks.
    :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  16. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,225
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  17. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +17,672
    #17 VinnyBass, Jan 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  18. 929nitro

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +273
    Mr. VinnYBass, I was wondering if you have ever fished a fat ika? The ika is my go to bait for flipping tules. I'll put a nail weight or two in it depending on how thick or matted the tules are or if I'm in current.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  19. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,473
    Boat:
    Yes
    Nice way to start the New Year Vinny! Great you were able to break the "have to fish deep" trend and move to other areas to catch em! My New Year's resolution is to try different techniques/rigs/lures this year. Hope to see you out there soon.

20. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +17,672
    The work IKA always gets me. I used IKA's years ago with my buddy Joe. We fished El Cap weekly and tossed IKA's towards the shoreline stick-ups and caught plenty of bass through the years. I somehow forgot about them in time and remember even going up to Miramar years ago and seeing a guy from shore catch a few bass while I was catching a few also. He told me he was using an IKA but tears off the tentacles which I found weird, but the bass still liked them. I bought some to add to a few older ones and somehow...yes, somehow...they just get lost in all of my other choices of baits. Tons or worms all shapes sizes and colors and creature baits to match. I honestly need to re-explore using them. I was with a buddy last year and we were talking about them and I threw one on for a few minutes and them went back to a craw bait. I imagine that if I actually spent more time using one....they could very well be deadly. The thick IKA and hooking it just seems be what is holding me back a little. How is the hook set percentage with you? I worry that the hook will not penetrate the thick part as well as a thin craw bait etc. Do you use a big hook? I remember those weedless worm hooks and I used to use them years ago and thought that may be the best way to hook the IKA in open water....but in the tulles....it would be snag city.
    shopping.png
    I will have to try it with weighed hook maybe. Heck it always looks deadly, but the best way to hook it seems to be my main question and do you miss a lot of bites on the hook sets?

#20 VinnyBass, Jan 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2021