1 hour Mud Marlin

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Kam_Walsh98, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Kam_Walsh98

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,222
    After spending 24 hours at the pier Wednesday/Thursday with nothing to show for it I took the bus to MB to feel the pull of a bigger fish again. Only had an hour or so to fish and after some issues with mall cop I found a spot and cast out a couple mackerel steaks. I was FaceTiming the girlfriend when about fifteen minutes later the clicker starts screaming (“gotta go!”) and I hook into a good sized mud marlin. Relatively quick fight, a few pictures and back in the bay he goes. I hear about bat rays being actually good to eat but they’re one of the only fish (along with sturgeon and native wild trout) that I don’t think I’d be able to bring myself to kill. After releasing the ray I reeled in the rest of my lines and headed back. Good use of an hour!

06AF0D38-F118-475D-8D8B-CD9595809FB4.jpeg

90D8770C-4987-4D79-9345-25DA8412E8E1.jpeg

• Like Like x 27
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +36,532
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    An awesome use of an hour.. For damn sure

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,066
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    Hmmmm. I don't think I would eat anything that spends its life at the bottom of our bays. Especially in De Anza Cove. I agree, it would be a little more difficult for me to kill a bat ray, but I don't have any sympathy for sting rays. In fact, every time I catch one, I cut off the tail. Too many of those things in the back bay!

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Nickweissmusic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,001
    Nice! Never caught/eaten one, but I think after a long fight they would taste pretty bad due to waste buildup. My hunch is little ones you could land quickly would taste better, in a lot of cases younger animals taste better anyway. I’ve heard soaking in milk helps reduce amonia in flesh. I kill and bleed anything I’m going to eat ASAP, stab the brain and cut the throat. No idea how to cut the throat on a ray though! I’ve also wondered if the smaller rays are any good to eat. Can’t wrap my head around how to get the skin off :) Werfless might have input.

I get not wanting to kill them though, they are really cool animals. I feel the same way about octopus. Then I kill ‘em. They’re freaking delicious.

5. Kam_Walsh98

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,222
    Yeah I used to feel that way about giant pacific octopus but once I realized how common, fast growing, and delicious they are I stopped feeling guilty.

As far as cleaning/skinning them, they’re probably pretty similar to the giant skates I catch up north. Cut off both wings, position a wing so that the part that attached to the body is facing you, cut just under the skin from the middle all the way to the wingtip, and skin each side:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. Nickweissmusic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,001
    Why not just kill them and use them for chum or something? Cutting off a major fin and their defense mechanism and sending them back because you think there are too many is a little misguided IMO. Do we need to have a Dexter talk?

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,729
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    Agreed. That's like cutting off a random person's arm in fear that they might punch someone one day.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. galen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,011
    Boat:
    15 ft Saturn raft
    I would imagine that action is breaking the law in some context. Your crusade against stingrays is laughable. Take some constructive criticism from your fellow anglers and give it a rest. This may illicit some negativity, so just in case, yes have have knowingly broken laws while fishing but i have never mutilated a fish that wasn't headed for the kitchen.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. Nickweissmusic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,001
    Plus that might be illegal...
    It might also be illegal, or at least count toward a bag limit. I don’t think DFW would take kindly to destroying natural resources. Not trying to get too preachy, just seems like a waste of resources and pointlessly cruel. I think we have enough motorboating Billy Bobs to **** up our resources, I’m gonna call out needless waste when I see it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Ram-Rod

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,812

#10 Ram-Rod, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Nickweissmusic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,001
    Also not trying to be a dick, I know the poster is a good kid, hopefully just reframing the thought process.

12. Bilznut

Bilznut Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    I see pictures of you guys handle those Bat Rays … And I always wonder… Don’t they sting? How do you handle them, without getting stung?

13. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,066
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    LMAO! I didn't think there would be such an outrage over sting rays. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

As a shark fisherman, sting rays really piss me off because I catch them as by-catch and there always small so they give no fight. I will keep the foul language out of the text, so I'll refer you guys to the useful urban dictionary. This word perfectly describes stingrays IMO: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=****bird
    Definition #3

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,066
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    Yes! They have stingers. The best advice I can give for handling them is where tennis shoes.

15. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,066
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    The link doesn't work. Just go to urban dictionary and search sh*t bird. Look at definition 3.

16. Nickweissmusic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,001
    Bag limit applies. There is essentially no bag limit on macks, unless there isn’t on stingrays, whether you’re using them as chum, or cutting off large body parts and sending them off to their death, I’d assume bag limit applies. I don’t have a deputy DFW badge handy, but I could print one up really quick. :emoji_joy:

It would seem my message is not getting through. By-catch is, by definition, annoying, but that doesn’t give you license to destroy the resource at your whim. Perhaps we do need the Dexter talk... lol. I’m certainly not offended, I don’t think you’re causing irreparable harm to the stingray population, but to think there is no consequence to your actions in nature, or you’re doing us a favor, is misguided. Big picture concepts here ;)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,898
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Small one are about the same as a wasp, not to bad. Never had the opportunity of being stung by a large one yet.

18. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,898
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Oh wow. You're a hardcore sharkfisherman in Mission Bay. I wonder how many sharks you've pulled in that are over 30lbs.

*Ever so softly, a hearty laugh can be heard coming from Florida*

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  19. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,898
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    They’re adorable

C6C48AD7-9C96-4505-87F5-BE1A8761E70D.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  20. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,066
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    30 lbs... more like 0.3 lbs LOL! Hopefully I can get that 30 lb leopard shark of FI in the spring.