10-18 river report

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by flyfishinsteve64, Oct 18, 2019.

1. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,294
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    No pictures today. I think you all have seen enough small bass. Got on the water about 6:30 am made the hour run to the fishin hole that has been given me lots of love lately. Water temperature was down 2 degrees. 71* and getting colder the further north I went. Slow start only 3 bass by 9am. Started with chartreuse probably should have started with white and red because about 10am came around I was using white and red and started getting wacked. Hand 15 fish to hand by11am and called it a day. The wind started early today and being tired from yesterday I didn’t have the patience to keep fishin in the wind. It’s very tight fishin and can be very frustrating. Looks like I will be tying lots of flies. I probably lost a dozen yesterday and half that many today. Might have some company out here next week. I want to make sure they have plenty of flies too. I think today would have been just as good as yesterday. I’m starting to locate bigger fish too. They tend to hang in different cover than the smaller fish. Need to buy couple new fly lines as well. All this fishin is tearing them up. Plan to hit the canals the next couple days while all the weekend warriors try not to kill each other on the river.

2. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,186
    When are you going to man-up and target carp? ;)

3. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,294
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    That’s a very good question. When I get time?:). I throw at one or more almost every time I fish but never have the correct set up. I haven’t even made up my mind yet which rod and reel I’m going to use. I don’t like the one I put together so far. They are very spooky fish ,at least most of the time. It seems lately all I have been using is my sage bass II rods and the lines on those rods are made for throwing heavy flies. They slap the water pretty hard sometimes. So I need to just do it but I’m right in the middle of figuring out the different bass species.
    I know if someone said let’s do some carp fishin, that’s when it will happen. Do you know anyone like that?:)

4. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,186
    I can almost guarantee I'll be out fishing the canals in a few weeks when it cools down (if the wife and kids let me). A lot of people like glass rods for carp because of the soft presentation and flexible tip. Most important factor is finding an actively feeding fish. Your odds go up tremendously.

5. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,294
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    No problem finding feeding carp. At least lately.

6. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,186

Are you drag-n-dropping?

7. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,294
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    What you talkin about Willis