10/20-Quick Murray am session

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by VinnyBass, Oct 20, 2019.

1. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,928
    Made a quick trip to Murray this morning(yeah...I know...what's new?). Cruised around looking for anything that
    would break the surface and be in casting range. Slim pickings, but finally managed to land a dink in the middle of the lake on a small Jackall Riser. The bass was small but healthy eating up lots of silversides no doubt. Chatted with veteran bass fisherman Arden Hanline(who caught a 19lb bass at Morena in 1987) to compare a few notes. He is a funny guy, but with decades of experience, he definitely knows his stuff. He was worming pretty shallow and of course I still wanted a reaction bait bass. I threw a small diving crank bait along the tules and was excited when I got bit, but it was a dink and it came off next to the boat(not going to count that guy). I finally gave up on reaction/surface baits and started worming mostly in 18-25' of water. I ended up putting 5 bass(2 were ok, but the rest were small) in the boat today. Biggest bass went 3.75lbs on the crawdad creature and my second biggest bass on a purple worm.
    It was tough today and basically the only bites I got... accounted for all my bass this morning.
    IMG_9065.PNG IMG_9064.PNG

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,894
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Bigger than any bass I have caught the last two years.. lol

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,928
    It's all about having fun and I know you have fun fishing and I enjoyed your IV report with a heck of a variety of fish you and your son caught. I remember decades ago catching a limit of trout and then bass on the same day. That was always one of my highlights......of course that was years ago when you actually ate some of the fish you caught. :)

#3 VinnyBass, Oct 20, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,894
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Part of the problem with the local lakes, lack of harvest.. all good though. My boy is worthless in the field.. the girl though, she has caught more fish this year than some SD county bass boat owners, if channel cats are included... Hahaha

5. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,928
    My girlfriend was fishing with me for a while and then started worrying about hurting the fish. When she fished with me she nailed a 5 1/2 pound bass at Otay and actually caught some nice top water fish at Lake Jennings on Sammy’s. Glad your girl still likes to have fun fishing. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,331
    Boat:
    Yes
    Another nice session for you VinnyBass The purple worm comes through! Thanks for the report and pics! Tight lines my friend.

7. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    Vinny you always manage to find a few chunks!! Those are beautiful fish!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,928
    Well, I was lucky to catch a dink on topwater and not lucky to lose a dink on a crank bait. Then, I went back and forth to the spots where I caught a bass on a plastic worm at least 4 times before catching another bass there later. Then went back to the other area where I caught the bass on a plastic worm a couple times and caught a bass on the crawdad creature bait later. I think luck has something to do with it.... :) as I was just lucky to return to those spots.

#8 VinnyBass, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  9. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,177
    Coolskeeees.

10. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +881
    Vinny you ran into a wealth of knowledge , Arden and his son Arden jr. Are great fishermen , Im glad he is still out fishing. Was he in his yellow boat.?
    Always nice reports, keep them coming.

11. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,928
    Yes...... in the old classic yellow boat.
    The only thing different was he actually had an outboard motor on it that works. For years you would see that boat with the old outboard tilted upward. That’s why when I saw him go across the lake the other week I first was not sure that was him because I never seen that boat ever move other than powered by a trolling motor.
    Several years ago I was talking to him out at Murray on a slightly rainy day. There was some thunder and lightning just then and his phone rang seconds later. He told me it’s probably his dang wife telling him to get off the water and sure enough it was his wife that just called saying that same thing. He told me the bite is too good to leave so we both stayed out there and continued catching bass. I have so many funny stories to share about him. It is always nice to see him out on the water fishing. :)

#11 VinnyBass, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,928
    Hey Brett have you been hitting San V or El Cap lately? It’s funny but I can’t wait for Sutherland to open up again. Where do you normally fish after Sutherland closes each year? Have not seen you at Murray ha ha

13. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,331
    Boat:
    Yes
    Hey Vinny...yeah, I hit El Cap with a buddy last Saturday..we got 3 in the trees at the North End. I'm gonna hit San Vicente this Monday, after the Santa Ana winds die down.

14. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,816
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    That's not a boat, it's a floating tackle box!

15. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,816
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    The Farmer's Almanac says the fishing in the spring of 2020 at Lake Sutherland will be mediocre at best!
    (yeah, I made that up)

16. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,928
    That’s not going to scare me away.
    Thanks for trying though .... ha ha

17. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,928
    One time he(Arden)showed me a crankbait that he used for years to catch lots of bass with. He told me the lure got so beat up that he decided to paint it as close to the pattern it was before. After that day he’s never caught a fish on it since. He told me,,,don’t mess with what works or you may screw it up like I did.

18. Blueshughes

Blueshughes Active Member

Ratings:
    +137
    Name:
    Tim Hughes
    Boat:
    Tube and Toon
    I saw Arden on Monday. He was taking his boat out the same time I was. Floating tackle box is putting it lightly. I have never seen a boat with so many baits displayed on it. He had more lures on his rig than some of the tackle shops in San Diego! Tripped me out