10/7-Murray-Almost gave up...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by VinnyBass, Oct 7, 2019.

1. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,928
    It was a few hours before I even got my first tap on a worm and that was all it was...a tap. I knew it was going to be tough as it got warm pretty early. I fished deep(spoons, spybaits, underspins) and shallow(jerk baits, plastic worms and creature baits) and nothing was happening. Did you notice I did not say topwater as there was nothing on top. Compared notes with another guy(Larry) who also kept trying different spots. He headed in with his boat just after 10am, as he had enough on this warm day. Silly me...still out there trying everything and everywhere so see if I could to muster up at least a bite and hopefully catch a dang fish. I put most of my rods away by this time and was actually wondering what skunk art I would use for my report...ha ha Before giving up, I just decided to throw something I just normally do not throw. I figured I had nothing to lose as I tied on a jig and put a little trailer on it. The wind was blowing, and after a bit, I felt a tap and sure enough my line was moving out. I set the hook and although it was not a very big bass, I was very happy to land a "skunk breaker." I was ready to go home, but just had to throw out the jig a few more times and less than 10 minutes later, I landed a chunky 3.75lb bass on the same jig! I stayed there for a bit, but no more bites so I headed more.
    The fishing was very tough today and not very fun, but in that short 10 minute span using a jig, it sure made my day a whole lot better.
    3.75.PNG IMG_8880.PNG

#1 VinnyBass, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  2. jusbayz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,526
    Boat:
    Cobra Fish n Dive
    Thumbs up for the perseverance! Can't count the number of times that I've pounded a spot relentlessly, lost heart and packed it in with zero to just a couple to hand. LOL, 30 minutes without a bite on a confidence bait usually has me headed for the vehicle. Spoiled SD angler...sad!

3. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    Good for you Vinny! 3.75, man that’s a great fish. Same for us at the V on Saturday. Great job going WAY BEYOND the skunk!!

4. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,928
    Thanks! I honestly felt like I’m going to get skunked today when I worked all types of baits with no reaction(Believe me....I have tons of baits in my boat). Just for the heck of it, I decided to try a jig and really got lucky as a couple bass gobbled them up. :)

#4 VinnyBass, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  5. fishfanatic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,192
    Boat:
    Fishcat 4 Float tube
    Thats not only a skunk breaker but a day maker in my book. Good job man!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    I love me some jig fishing!!!

7. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,816
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    VinnyBass , A jig is not one of my confidence baits, but neither was a Spinnerbait until I followed your lead. May have to try a blue and black jig!

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,928
    Thanks Paul......Got to love bass fishing tips from being on SDFish..... otherwise I would be using red worms and fishing for sunfish all day. Not that there is anything wrong with that. :)
    me.png

#8 VinnyBass, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,928
    Its funny that I have so many jigs...you would think they are my go-to bait. They have been
    sitting in tackle boxes so long that many of the skirts just fall off when I pick the jig up. If I did
    throw one years ago and put it back wet...it now looks like a dead spider...ha ha
    I guess its time to order new skirts....ya think? :)

10. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,668
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    Consider replacing the skirts with buck tail or better yet, skunk tail (if you can still find it) using nylon thread. If you do use skunk tail keep those jigs in a separate sealed box after drying them out. The hair jigs outlast the rubber bands that hold the silicon skirts together, which is the weak spot of skirts used on spinner baits and jigs nowadays. If you do replace the skirts with new silicon skirts secure the rubber band with thread or copper wire and they will last a long time. I sure miss the pork rind that went hand in hand with jigs.

11. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,928
    Thanks for the info. A lot of my older jigs had rubber bands and of course they disintegrate. I will now not mix wet jigs with dry ones and follow a lot of your advice. Thanks again Mogambo!
    Tight lines always. :)

12. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,331
    Boat:
    Yes
    Way to hang in there after a frustrating morning and beating the skunk, PLUS ONE VinnyBass . A jig?!?! You threw a jig?!?!? lol I was at San V on Friday...not a bite, nothing, zip!

13. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,928
    Now.....if I also threw a frog.... now that would have been really interesting. :)

14. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,331
    Boat:
    Yes
    What?!?!? You didn't throw a frog?!??!?! ....LOL! :emoji_wink: