100 SBB from the bay. Possible?

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by mick, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Dakinespot

Dakinespot Active Member

Middle of No Where...Surrounded by Pelagics..
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is by far one of my favorite reads of all time.
    I would love to see this proposition revived. I've been fishing the bays for over 25 years. I am not a guide nor would I ever claim to be an expert of any sort compared to the people who fished in the contest. I have had incredible days in both SD and MB in regard to both numbers and quality but,in recent years I have definetly noticed a consistent decline in numbers of Bass with the coincidental rise of the lizard fish. This species has and is impacting our Bays.
    I think it would be really interesting to see the numbers of that proposition today compared to the numbers of the Top Guns back then.
    That having been said I would be tempted to put up a cash prize to the first angler who could boat and discard 500 Lizard fish in a 4 hour period. :lol:

We contributed 25 Lizards yesterday to start the process without even trying...

2. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +236
    If you need a sponser, count me in

3. Dakinespot

Dakinespot Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Mick,
    I may take you up on that in the very near future..It could only do good things for our Natives.

4. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +236
    Of course that means you or I will have to sit in the boat and count while someone fishes for lizardfish all day long. Sure makes mowing the lawn look good.

mick

5. Dakinespot

Dakinespot Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Not necessarily...We could just have the anglers deliver the dead bodies to our houses then use them to fertilize our over grown lawns ... :D

6. cornfed

cornfed Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I remember when I was a kid, we used to have a deal with the county regarding gophers. For every gopher turned in, you'd get a buck. One town actually had a gopher festival called Gopher Count. Clever, I know. They had a parade and everything. It's even weirder that the county gov sponsored this. Gophers were a problem in the fields cuz livestock could break a leg or ankle on the mounds. Maybe we should give a dollar per lizard fish brought in. Anyone wanna sponsor that?

7. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,700
    The funniest DFG encounter I had was at Harbor Island a couple years back at night time, the warden asked if I caught anything and I told him just a bunch of lizardfish and a mack. He asked if I kept any of them, and I said no with a chuckle. He says "Why not? You should kill every single on of them damn things..."
    I didnt expect to hear that from him, but I was agreeing with him in my mind. The lizardfish have been really showing up in huge numbers in both bays for the last few years, it would be great to see them in less numbers lol.

8. agrazela

agrazela Unstable Subgenius
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,109
    Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    SeaHunt172CC Opti125
    My method for de-hooking lizardfish involves a big swing and the side of my boat.

9. snagger

snagger Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Way chenn took it, the day before he was to fish this, his boat broken down. Tommy Took his boat out for way, and ran it for him. Way won this fish off, using ONE COLORED swim bait.

The day gomes fished it, it was blowing 15/20 knots easy with white caps in the southbay. Gomes has some pictures of the weather in his garage. Awoler, why does his boat not turn right?

10. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +236
    I think he used to race stock cars in a previous life.

11. Baja Belk

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +140
    Wow, great read! I can agree with Gallo's motives behind his challenge. I think someone should do something like this at DVL....

12. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,953
    I cannot say that I have ever caught 100 fish in a day in San Diego Bay, but I do remember one epic day I had in 2006. It was a Friday, and a small storm front was moving in. I think the change in barometric pressure helped with the bite. I was fishing south of the Coronado Bridge (no particular spot) and I couldn't believe how good the bite was. For 3 or 4 hours straight I caught a fish on every single cast, within 3 seconds of my bait hitting bottom. I doubled up my dropshot and started catching 2 fish at a time on the same rod- which makes me wonder if there is a loophole in the 50 fish challenge. He said you had to use artificial bait only, and you couldn't use 2 rods. He didn't say anything about multiple hooks on a single line. I don't know how many fish I caught, but I can tell you this, it was a LOT! That wasn't the reason I was posting though. True, the numbers of lizard fish seem to have climbed in recent years, but have they really? The numbers of targeted species seem to have declined also, but have they really? I remember FishenEd used to bust out his old cribbage board and keep track of the fish he caught throughout the year. He would then compare year to year to see what the numbers told him. He had been fishing in SD since the 40's. You know what he told me? The fishing patterns are cyclical. He said he has seen it since he had been keeping track of the numbers. Look at the bait for instance. They haven't had anchovies at the receiver in what seems like forever. But back in 2005, 2006, and 2007 they always had them. Those were El Niño years though. The water and atmospheric conditions were different then they are now. I guess the point that I'm trying to make is it IS POSSIBLE to defeat that challenge. Just as the El Niño cycles every 8 to 10 years, so does the fishing. FishinEd said he had watched the cycle rise and fall for the past several decades. The best bet of beating that challenge if it ever gets resurrected is timing it during an up swing in the fishing cycle. Watch what happens the next time an El Niño pattern hits the west coast. Guys will be catching record numbers of fish in the bays and record numbers of pelagic species offshore. They will be catching marlin and yellowfin tuna 10 miles due west from Mission Beach. You will see flying fish and the water temps will hit 76 degrees. That's what happened in 2005 and 2006. Those were EPIC years for fishing, and they will be back again.

13. Lawman

Lawman Attorney at Law
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +415
    Boat:
    CC
    Re:I was there

I was a participant in the Phil Gallo Challenge. To win the challenge you had to catch 50 SBB in 4 hours. No one was able to do that. I logged 41 SBB, 11 Halibut and one WSB for a total of 53 fish. 20 minutes of my time was stolen by the Harbor Police stopping me because of a bogus complaint by the dock master in the Sun Road Marina. I have had over 100 fish days in both San Diego Bay and in Mission Bay. Back in the early 90's my brother Dave was getting 100 fish days in Mission Bay weekly for months with a record of 175.

14. sdbuild1

sdbuild1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45
    My wife always keeps track of how many fish we catch, just for the fun of it. The two of us caught 73 sbb in about 3.5 hours last year. My last 4 casts out before we left netted bass. There was no end to how many you can catch sometimes, but you get bored and tired of taking fish off the hook. We release all our fish.

15. dwntwnall4u

dwntwnall4u Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Name:
    EKZ
    Boat:
    Hobie
    That's alot of SBB, can you tell me how to catch 10 SBB in 3.5hrs?

16. sdbuild1

sdbuild1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Hi, we use a 3/4 ounce sinker at the end of the line with a hook tied about 20" up. We use Berkley gulp alive 2" sandworms for bait. We cast out as far as possible and reel in medium speed. We usally get a bite almost every cast out, and at times if the tide and drift is just right(when the bay water is warm), its almost non stop fish.
    Good luck.

17. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Smart guy

18. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,344
    I'll bet I have had some 100 fish days (probably five or six hours on the water though), or at least close, back in the late 90s on Mission Bay. Had some really great days on SD bay too. A few years later, the bite seemed to dry up a bit. Hadn't been out on the bay for some time, then went out on somebody else's boat last year on SD bay, and seemed to have lost my touch for nabbing spotties, as I only boated about twenty modest sized fish, and that was less than my host caught. :| Still, it was lots of fun.

19. wccjanel

wccjanel Fishing Guide
    SDFish VIP Site Sponsor

Ratings:
    +34
  20. Bassterd

Bassterd Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Bass to bass!