Buying 10ft jig sticks seeker, calstars

Discussion in 'Fishing Tackle & Gear for Sale/Wanted/Trade' started by Seanderz89, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Seanderz89

Seanderz89 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Name:
    Sean Bergmann
    Looking to buy my first 10ft jig slinger, if anyone has something that would be good for me to take of a few over nights for big yellowtail or tuna lmk. Also taking any advice as far as reels. Looking for something I can throw lighter irons to heavier brass. Going on a few iron only trips. Longest rod I currently have is a 9ft Phenix abyss 15-30 with a fathom Lp 400 and fathom 15 II star drag. Also have a lever fathom 30 and 40. Used those mostly for bait on heavier graftech rods. What something for casting jigs I don’t have to worry about with larger fish. Thanks

2. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Lord Pitmaster
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,832
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Big Metal One
    I have a couple rods. UC Wahoo 1000, Super Seeker SB Ulua 10ft, Phenix 909XHJ lmk.

3. Seanderz89

Seanderz89 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Name:
    Sean Bergmann
    How much for each ? Where you located?

4. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,832
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Big Metal One
  5. Thomas R

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +193
    Name:
    Thomas
    i got a candy cane (red and white glass) white tiger sb ulua. i was told that less than a dozen of these were ever made! i was gonna fish it myself until i found out their value and realized I dont trust myself to throw something like this.

6. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,832
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Big Metal One
    Dude it’s painted glass, they’re worth what ever you bought them for. Believe or not... you can custom order that exact same blank as well.

7. Thomas R

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +193
    Name:
    Thomas
    its actually not pained glass from my understanding. the inside of the blank is red like the red glass seekers they have. its not one of the ones that was wrapped then painted afterwards

8. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,832
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Big Metal One
    I meant that the glass is painted and then wrapped...

So the CEX and EX series, the series that is known for fetching high prices and made by the Randy Penny, was special as it wasn’t your typical composite rod. They featured boron that was blended to glass. Those rods were identified as being blue. There was a green S Glass as well for a bit there, and basically the colors where just naturally occurring. But... basically the by products were super toxic and carcinogenic to the MAX so the US said y’all can’t use those materials any more. The CEX series were composites, the EX series was straight glass.

The new rods, are made out of the same standard E Glass that’s been used for years. It’s just painted before it gets later down, that way you can see the different glass arrangements.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. Tnel73

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,213
    O how I love my EX cow killer!
    My CEX Ulua on the other hand.. It's just another rod! But man do I wish I would of known that people were going to loose there mind over them. I would of bought the whole pile of blanks I was picking through.. that was way over a decade ago now... but sometime I can just see that giant pile of CEX blanks when I close my eyes... definetly one of those Damit moments

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,832
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Big Metal One
    I have an EX trimmed 6 and 6 as well, it’s a beast of a rod and frankly the best heavy jig stick for bigger plugs that I own. I do have a BTG 6490H that I think will fish a Tady 45 and fish real 80lb work... just waiting to see if I can find a straighter blank. That rod will fish 80lb and a JRI4 or big popper,.. that’s confirmed for sure. I’m assuming that you’re going to grab any EX Ulua you come across hunh.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  11. Tnel73

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,213
    Nope I'm fine with what I got. My CEX Ulua was wrapped by Micah at M&M a decade ago and has been hanging in the wrack ever since. My Randy Penny tangerine greeny 93h, on the other hand goes fishing all the time. And the EX is a 6455XXH outfitted for the big YFT down south, but is now my BF rod. Gosh I love my EX it's so soft yet such a powerhouse. The OP is going up to 10' I'm in the process of going back down to 8'-8.6' I've got a few to many long rods.(few to many rods in general)