11/15-Murray...never on a Sunday

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by VinnyBass, Nov 15, 2020.

1. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,836
    Can't remember the last time I posted a fish report from a lake...but could not wait till a week day to fish and headed to Murray. Being a year older and getting a little more forgetful...I forgot that fishing Murray on a Sunday sometimes can get crazy. I pull up and blocking the boat ramp were a number people standing around who did not know how to release their semi-ocean boat from the trailer. I helped them understand the release and the lock and they thanked me....and soon 3 of them were pulling a rope to their boat towards the dock. And then...what seemed like eternity, they moved the truck and trailer and I finally launched. Not expecting or seeing any surface action I worked plastics shallow and deep. I saw a couple breakers but the surface was really calm... wait...that is not exactly true as the surface later had all types of action with families in lake row boats and motor boats, 2 more semi-ocean boats, lots of paddleboats , recreational kayaks and only one Pontoon boat(I know how much mcfish loves those boats). The guys fishing out of tubes, kayaks and boats were fine. Heck, it was a beautiful morning and people want to go out and have fun which I do understand. Two times I had to wave down a motorboat to not cut between me and the shoreline I was fishing and I just gave up on the recreational kayakers and one canoe that had to venture around the lake close to shore. The highlight of the not so calm surface was watching a bigger semi-ocean boat open up a number of times and fly down about half the lake and then later do some circles over near the buoy line like he was at San V. Of course nobody came out to stop him and he would idle for a bit and then take off down the lake. It was crazy and I know everyone enjoyed the wakes he gave us as a gift. Oh...I forgot to mention the kids throwing rocks in the water. One had a pretty good arm where I was planning to fish...ha ha. I hope getting old does not make me cranky. :)
    Fish report starts here:
    Ok....the fish report. Slow as heck. Had a bass come unbuttoned in tulles on a senko(via Toyko rig) and later landed a small bass on a craw bait(via Toyko rig). Then worked plastic worms in deeper water and got bit on a purple worm. When I set the hook, my rod stayed bent as the fish dug in and the fight was on. I thought I had a nice bass and what better way to sum up a tough day on a Sunday at Murray then to find out it was a dang catfish. Oh, I forgot to say that another semi ocean boat was about to launch while I was pulling up the ramp to leave.

My fish of the day...ha ha
    1 cat.PNG cat1.PNG cat.PNG
    and my small bass
    bass 11:15.PNG

#1 VinnyBass, Nov 15, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  2. MrChatterBait

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +910
    Hey, that's a decent cat! Did you happen to weigh it? Entertaining report big fella!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,884
    Sweet... mostly. Glad I don't fish weekends, not that I could if I'd wanted.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Tony Vegas

Tony Vegas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +835
    Name:
    Tony Vegas
    I can only imagine how nutty weekends are around here

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. bajacamp

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,127
    Excellent report......Yeah just another Sunday on a city lake. You hooked-up with old whiskers, nice one to. I am very old style with my conventional gear rigging and I've heard talk about the Toyko rig. I would be interested to see how you rig it. If you can post a pic. please....Thanks

6. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,120
    I got skunked both days, lockjaw....

7. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,836
    PM'd you. :)

8. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,836
    The fishing will be tough for a bit I think..... its funny as last November around this time my buddy Joe and I were still catching bass on flukes out in the middle of Murray.
    Ice jigs and spoons soon will be testing the waters as it gets cooler.
    Hope your next trip is a successful one.
    Tight lines

9. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,242
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    I think you should start including a table of contents and maybe even a forward!!! That way some can skip right to the catfish. LOL hugs and kisses Vinny!! BTW beautiful catfish!

10. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,836
    LOL! I had to talk about the madness on the water or the whole point of my story would have been too short. It was crazy!

Example of the fish report I should have PM'd you.....ha ha

Hey tsugg .... Went to Murray and caught a catfish and a small bass.

Tight lines buddy! :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,756
    Boat:
    Yes
    Sounds like a rough day out there Vinny. I thought Murray had a 10MPH speed limit? They should limit
    the length of boats on Murray. The lake is just too small for semi-ocean going boats. Glad you beat the skunk. Did you eat the catfish? :emoji_slight_smile:

12. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,878
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Blimey! Sounds like the SD Yacht Club was meeting at Murray. Love the part about the guys not knowing how to unhook their boat! Hope you steered clear of them on the water. Would have paid money to watch them put it back on the trailer! ;) Nice cat!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,836
    When I was leaving...you should have seen how fast I got to my truck after I tied my boat to the dock when I saw another semi-ocean boat getting ready to launch. I could just feel the impact of that boat hitting mine. I have not ran that fast since high school...ha ha.

14. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,878
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Murray must be a convenient place to test run boats. My son took his "new" little tin boat with a 15 HP outboard there to try it out. He got pulled over for speeding!

15. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,836
    I remember that guy and I threw a few kastmasters at his boat to try to slow him down.....oh wait Paul....not your son who is a fine young man and well respected member of the community, but some other guy in a boat not half as cool as your son's boat... :)