11/17/2019: Point Loma

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by silentONE, Nov 17, 2019.

1. silentONE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +644

Time:
    - 7:30 AM to 2:30 PM

Catches:
    Kept - (1) Sculpin, (1) Rockfish
    Released - (1) Sand Bass, (1) Cabezon

Details:
    Went out with two friends out of Dana Landing today. Plan was to hit spots around Point Loma for some rock fish. Skies were clear, water was green and calm for the most part, and it was pretty warm. Fishing was slow for the most part for every spot we went to all along Point Loma. Mainly used butterfly and diamond jigs, as well as squid on a dropper loop. Decided to sabiki in some smelt to have for the trip too. My friend hooked up into a fat sand bass, guessing it was roughly around 6-7 lbs, and encouraged him to let it go. Around the Whistler, my other friend hooked into a 14" sculpin off of the smelt. I hooked into something big with the smelt, but unfortunately after the first head shake, it cut through my line (25 lb mono leader). Making our way towards to Mission Bay, I ended up catching a 4-5" cabezon with the butterfly jig and squid on the hooks. Decided we had enough at 2:30 and took it back in. DFG was also at the ramp, only saw her check one person as they came out the water but she seemed to leave us alone. Do they just check people at random?
    20191117_094605.jpg

2. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,030
    A 4-5” cabezon ? Four to five inch cabezon ? Sounds like a fun day out there, regardless.

3. silentONE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +644
    Yup, that thing was tiny and must've been really hungry and mad.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,030
    Cabezon just have that cool factor going on. Exotic looking things.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Was it DFG, or was it one of their little volunteer cronies that do the "surveys"? Typically DFG will be uniformed officers. I always see them work in groups of 2 at the launch ramps. But I see the survey people by themselves. The surveys are completely voluntary. If it's not a uniformed DFG officer, and they ask you about your catch, you can politely tell them you're not interested in participating in their survey. The will leave you alone.

6. silentONE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +644
    I believe it was a lady in a uniform. She was talking to a guy and his son when they got their boat from the water onto the ramp. Regardless, I don't put myself into a situation where I'd need to worry anyway.

7. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Well, that's always a smart move. Every time I've ever been approached by the REAL DFG, I've always been apprehended while waiting to trailer my boat at Dana Landing. They would roll up on me in their RHIB boat. That was before I sold the boat of course. And I do remember being approached and checked at Shelter Island once or twice. But they always worked in pairs. I think they do it for their own safety.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List