11/18-Murray: Extreme heat for Cold bite

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by VinnyBass, Nov 18, 2019.

1. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,145
    The weather was going to be real hot and most likely the bite would be cold, but I invited my buddy Joe to join me at his own risk. I mentioned to Joe to bring some cologne as the odds of a skunk seemed pretty high. We headed off to a point to toss plastics and distracted later as we saw a few bass hitting the surface. Suddenly, we were in the middle of the lake tossing everything that we thought would entice the bass near the top. They were up and gone in a flash even though we were quick to react. I was even alternating six rods with surface and reaction baits. Later...Joe tied on a fluke and a bass rolled near it, which was the only excitement after both of us made what seemed like a 1,000 casts. Joe stuck to the fluke and suddenly a bass slammed it. That bass was a solid 3 1/2 lbs. I quickly put on a fluke and only minutes later a bass hit my fluke, I missed it and before I could rattle off a few more swear words...a bass hammered it a few seconds later and in the boat he went. We were excited and hoped for more action out there, but the action died. The heat from the sun and lack of breeze was very uncomfortable. Worm fished at different spots and finally I caught a bass on a creature bait and had another sadly shake my creature bait off on it first leap out of the water. A few more missed opportunities and I ended up only catching another small bass on a plastic worm.
    The only good news of the day (besides not getting skunked) was neither of us suffering from heat stroke on such an extremely hot day in November. The bite was poor overall and with cooler weather on the way, hopefully better bass fishing is coming too!
    Tight lines to all who did not fall asleep reading this post...ha ha. :)
    Only pics/fish of the day.
    (Sorry, but Pic of Joe's bass did not do justice to it)
    IMG_9441.PNG IMG_9442.PNG
    fluke.PNG IMG_9440.PNG

#1 VinnyBass, Nov 18, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  2. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,475
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    Very good in a tough bite

3. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,145
    .....definitely a little better than the week before with one bass on one bite....ha ha

4. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,145
    Wow! No comments from mcfish on what he would have done differently at Murray in that unusual blazing heat on Monday?
    Wow! No comments from fisheromen about my buddy Joe being or looking like he was from England etc.?
    I am shocked...but then again Murray is kind of a boring report most of the time anyway...ha ha. :)

5. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,031
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Wow, a bloke can't have a spot of tea?

6. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,145
    Blimey.... look at that....a bloody cool response! :)

7. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,981
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Sorry about not responding sooner, I've been distracted by this stuff falling from the sky! You asked what I would of done differently...I would of caught fish! Ha, easy for me to say, I wasn't there! I've noticed that during the heat wave, my koi have moved to the sunny, warm, shallow side of their ponds! I've seen that happen with bass at San V when the water is cooling and then there is a heat wave! You see it happen at Otay in the early spring! I think if I couldn't get the topwater to go, I would of tried some shallower spots on the north side of the lake..you know them! Hey, you caught fish, always a plus from November to January ..Good job!!

8. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,145
    Hey mcfish ....I really appreciate your response and pointers as I will now fish in 5 feet of water on the north side of the lake or just drop spoons or ice jigs in 55-60’ of water if your shallow advice does not work.
    Maybe you should have your own fishing show. I would subscribe! :)

9. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,134
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    It should start to show a little metal action soon. Deep spoons and tail spins... maybe a couple weeks away yet with this rain... it may start sooner than later.

10. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,145
    I caught some nice bass this year on spoons at Murray this year. Hoping to get a few more fat ones before the year ends!

11. self fish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +38
    At least you caught some bass in the scorching heat Vinnybass. Way to go man , your right about the bite picking up soon. I believe it will be a good end of the year bite for sure. See ya out there don't be a stranger.

12. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,145
    After the last few weeks, I hope the bite picks up. It is almost time to dust off my spoons and underspins to start searching for those bass down deep. Hope to see you out there. As it gets colder....you will most likely see me in the middle of the lake..... :) Take advice from Linebig.......spoons do really work!
    Tight lines to ya
    A few samples of my biggest bass I caught at Murray this year on spoons (6.25lbs to just a tad under 7lbs)
    IMG_9481.PNG IMG_9478.PNG IMG_9482.PNG

#12 VinnyBass, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  13. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,504
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I was pretty sure I spotted VinnyBass .. yesterday?

IMG_20191121_150309.jpg

IMG_20191121_145900.jpg

14. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,145
    Great pics!
    Looks like a spot I like to fish.....but unfortunately I was at work thinking about fishing while working hard.....oh course!
    Nice spot to the right a little of that small cove. Shallow shelf there and then deeper water. Heck...I may be fishing there soon...ha ha. :)

#14 VinnyBass, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019