15.285 pound bass caught today

Discussion in 'Bass' started by Kellen, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,854
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,854
    The bass was caught yesterday, not today. Sorry, details are still coming in.

3. JMJ

JMJ Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Boat:
    western
    Bed fish don't count.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +17,425
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    That's cuz they don't have fingers or toes!

What if you accidentally catch a bed fish?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,749
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Nice work landing a 15 pound fish! Huge accomplishment.

To me Every fish counts. They all do, on a bed, not on a bed, atrificial , live bait. Luck or no luck, skill, no skill. I have seen huge bass caught on trout power bait and or night crawlers with a tiny treble hook. Seen and landed Huge bass on beds huge bass not on beds so to me it's just fishing.

Once that fish is hooked is when it all happens. You either know what you are doing or you don't. That is how fish stories are made :)

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  6. Titos334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +833
    I might be biased from fishing lake mission Viejo for most of my life but there is absolutely nothing skilled or special about bed fishing, it's a joke of an "accomplishment"

• Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,749
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    That is opinion and opinion is not fact. You are allowed your opinion and no one will tell you other wise. However Hating what someone else has done because you have not is not nice at all. So let's be nice and not hijack his thread with negativity. :)

8. FloatTubeSD

FloatTubeSD Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Skill or no skill, this guy still got a 15lber, i'd be stoked outta my mind! haha

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. DCFISH

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,254
    This was a female bass, takes a lot of patience and dedication to catch one it comes . It's not simply casting into a bed and the fish will automatically bite. As any angler that has fished beds would know.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. vonred

vonred Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Here's how it went down Jed was fishing with Mac, Jed saw a 3lber tried to catch it then Mac throws in there and first cast lands that bass that's what heard from a friend that knows them both well. I'm stoked for him.

11. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,749
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    That is sweet! I have been out fishing and looking at one fish when another swoops in. That is sweet! Last year I was on a huge fish and she would not go. Then all of sudden from 5 yards away she just slowly starts swimming over to my bait. I am watching her and it was almost like I could not believe what I was seeing. She went down picked it up without even stopping and swam off, not mad or agressive, she just swam away.. I was shocked!! Almost did not set the hook! Haha

So, that had to be a crazy moment for him too!! That is sweet.

12. Titos334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +833
    I don't disagree, it does does take patience and time but that's all it takes. Clear water bed fishing is as simple as that.

13. DCFISH

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,254
    That's what fishing is about patience, time and dedication! No difference in clear water or stained/murky water. Whether catching a topwater, swimbait or bed fish it's still a fish caught, just different scenerios and techniques.

14. Titos334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +833
    It's not all equal though, there is a big difference between camping over a bed for hours where a known protective big fish is and working a lake to find unseen holding fish and figuring out patterns. Clear water bed fishing is just a joke.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  15. DCFISH

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,254
    If you cast into a boil of shad or bait fish isn't there fish feeding? Bed fish happens that you can see the fish. Fishing lilies you know there's fish under. What's the difference? One's protecting? Ones trying to eat to survive? Both get exciting. One you match a certain color of a frog or rat and pattern and other certain place your lure is or color and size. What if it was stained/murky bed fishing still a joke?

16. Titos334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +833
    Yes it's different just for the reasons you listed. Fish boiling on shad are just that, fish. You aren't slectively hunting out the biggest fish tied down to a spot trying to reproduce, you're casting to catch a random feeding fish. If the water is stained you're not singling out beds with holding big fish. In clear water to catch big fish all you have to do is wander around looking in the water and find beds with the big one. It's shooting big fish in a barrel. The lure presentation doesn't even matter that much, put in your hours on their bed messing up the eggs and the reproductive cycle until you piss them off enough they inhale the bait. If you don't get it, you don't get it and some never will. Bed fishing is borderline unethical, at least with stained water it's more intuition/luck than a known fact.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  17. fishindad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +136
    For those of you who fish for Bass and do not agree with Bed fishing do yourselves a favor and stay away from the lakes and put your rods away and lock them up. keep in mind that for the next 3 to 5 months if you are fishing In less than 20' of h2o because that's were all the fish are this time of year that will make you a bed fisherman in stained water, clear water blah blah blah. site fishing blind casting noodling live baiting etc.

As far as fishing at Dixon and sight fishing is concerned it's not as easy as one would think in those rental boats and the weak hand operated trolling motors on them and then spotting a good one about 25' down and trying to maintain position and then you have clouds that block out the light that just helped you spot the bass that was that deep. It's a lot different than picking at the rats close to shore.

Anyway that's a very nice fish to bad I did not get it first:)

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  18. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,749
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    100 percent, you nailed it. It is a simple truth everyone right now is bed fishing if you are fishing. You don't have a choice. Even the cruising fish are either taking a walk or getting ready to sit. The blind fish with your whacky rig, Texas rig, cranks and jerk baits, swim baits. And this will be for the next 4 months. What's next FREY guarding fish are off limits too? They are protecting their FREY no different than protecting a nest. The very narrow view sometimes is not the correct way to voice a view. FREY garuding fish are way easier to catch than bed fish...

For the world to know. I am going out Saturday and I am looking for a toad. I am hoping for the clearest cleanest water I can find with very little to no wind. That will be my vision for the next few months. What I have learned over my 45 years of fishing is, just because you want it to happen does not mean it will. I bet for the thousands of guys trying to catch a toad over our spawn period here in SD only 5-10 guys will and that might be pushing it. A toad is double digits not single digit. If it was that easy to do it, catching a toad would not have the thrill it does. It would be like catching bluegil.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. BassinNova

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,687
    Bed fishing or not, that's a nice fish. The only time I think bed fishing is unethical is when tournament fishing takes them away from their beds during weigh ins. These fish might swim back to their nests but by that time the eggs have been messed with .

20. fishfanatic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,006
    Boat:
    Fishcat 4 Float tube
    Those who agree with bedfish all I can do is scroll down and 'agree','agree','agree'. Thanks for speaking for me. A fish caught with a rod and line is a fish caught with a rod and line. Simple, it may be easier or harder at times but you still catch it. How would it be if they were all generally lethargic no matter the conditions? The way it actually works with active and less active patterns is what calls out all of the different varieties of lures out there.