150 fish in two days - say what ?!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by spoonminnow, Apr 16, 2022.

1. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,023
    I'm sure many of you have had banner days when right place/right time allowed some record catches and we've all dreamt of being that lucky. And so it went Tues. and Wed.

In the northeast, we had a record amount of rain in a short time that raised water levels like crazy in all lakes and rivers. In the lake I fished yesterday, the lake was up 2.5 feet affecting the spawn locations of yellow perch - one of the first fish to spawn in spring. Where perch spawn, most fish follow to eat their eggs. I'm talking about four to five other fish species that are in dense, mixed-species schools in water no more than 3' deep. I'm talk'n crappie with perch and sunfish; white perch with crappie, yellow perch with crappy and a few bass in the same school.
    wetland channel I had to row to get to schools of fish:
    OHCwhZG.jpg

Granted, a child could catch fish-after-fish in that scenario, but one thing it allowed me to do is to discover and rediscover more things about lures - particularly about soft plastics on light ball head jigs. When fishing a wetlands shallow water pattern, it pays to work lures slowly, mid-depth. To do that 1/32, 1/64 and 1/24 oz jigs are a must along with hook sizes to match. A lure can be 3" on a 1/32 oz jig but the hook size/gap must be at least a #2 hook, like this example of a 5" plastic worm that caught all kinds of fish yesterday - many on the same lures:

perch, sunfish and bass caught on the same 4" plastic worm:
    LwYhGB2.jpg D9SbiG1.jpg WqNRFXb.jpg

Float fishing isn't my forte and especially not in 3' of water, but when you find dense schools of very irritable fish, anything is possible. When I tried a small cigar float it opened doors as far as ultra-slow fishing using a rod pull & pause presentation!! Cool was seeing crappie attack the float once it plopped down, at times jumping out of the water! Many lures worked under the float and one that excelled over all others was the Mojo grub made from using clear plastic:
    sg9O4Ii.jpg vEAUILT.jpg
    Used under a cigar float:
    FQn9oxD.jpg FQpjVVp.jpg
    I've poured clear plastic shapes before, but the clear plastic Mojo - even in murky water - did as well as any color! The thin, straight tail flutters with the least motion imparted.
    White perch on a clear plastic Mojo grub:
    TCS9McH.jpg

Another find was the Chubby Grub made from cutting 2" off the front of a plastic worm (like the one shown above), blunting the end with a lighter: Nothing says, come & eat me like the wagging of a Chubby Grub rigged on a 1/32 oz jig!
    UcvwixU.jpg nYnUFl7.jpg Zh7sDa2.jpg

Having been a bass angler for years, I can understand staying with heavier lures. But light tackle fishing has a lot to be said for it - regardless of freshwater species.

2. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +24,253
    Wow! What a fun and exciting experience to catch so many species on plastics. I remember going back to Pennsylvania to visit relatives and one of the lakes my Uncle took me to had lots of yellow perch in it. I was catching lots of them and it was really fun as I never caught them in San Diego..ha ha. I think I was using a little spinner(cp swing) which also caught bass(small & large mouth), crappie and once in a while a pickerel. I fished almost every day with my Uncle when my family went back to visit when I was young and we would stay 3 to 4 weeks sometimes so I got a lot of fishing in. That cp swing and daredevil spoons were the lures we mostly used and your post(especially that pic of that perch) brought back lots of great memories. Thank you for sharing... and tight lines always :)
    LwYhGB2.jpg

3. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,023
    My pleasure!

4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +62,222
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    That's almost like an imperial valley for me years ago right there, lol. Solid

5. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,023
    We are getting more rain tonight which will hopefully keep lake levels high enough to keep the pattern going. Who said being a glutton when it comes to fishing is a bad thing? :emoji_thumbsup:
    Of course nighttime temperatures are going down to the upper 30's with daytime temp in the 50's and +20 mph wind gusts for the next few days. :emoji_frowning2:

6. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,758
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
  7. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,023
    I always find it amazing that fish with small mouths (pannies) and small LM attack lures as long as they are! Plus yesterday, I poured more shapes in clear plastic and can't wait to try them. I remember decades ago that my favorite 4" Zara Spook was made of clear plastic. Man did it catch river smallies and LM!

8. Fishbreath

Fishbreath Fishing tales told here....some true.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,561
    Exactly. We don't seem to get that much color, especially in more mature fish. Supposedly the darker red would indicate that is a male, with females having lighter colors more orange in the opercular flap. In the spring when they get into their mating colors, it is easier to tell the sex. Otherwise, the size and shape of the urogenital opening is an indicator.

#8 Fishbreath, Apr 17, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,023
    Otherwise, the size and shape of the urogenital opening is an indicator.

Too busy fishing to pay much attention to that (though you never know when it will come up.....)

10. Fishbreath

Fishbreath Fishing tales told here....some true.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,561
    Sorry. We didn't mean to hijack your thread. We have been having a running conversation over several years about how much easier it would be to identify redear sunfish if they all had red ears. Many of ours don't, especially the larger ones that make it into pictures. As far as knowing the sex, it might factor into your decision if you keep some and release some. If you release them all or keep them all, it really doesn't matter. It just becomes so much more esoteric information, which I seem to be good at. (But see I'm trying to get better, even ending that last sentence with a preposition.)

11. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,023
    Sunfish are one species I would never keep for the frying pan; large crappie - maybe. As far as keeping any panfish species, the lakes I fish have very few anglers that have boats. So even with a decent number of weekend, shoreline anglers keeping fish, the population is safe due to the huge numbers of uncaught fish that survive annually for future spawns.

One nearby county-run lake has a no-keep rule, in effect since last year. No shock-survey or the surveying of anglers who know the waters was ever done. The state size limit for crappie was raised 1" and the creel reduced. Will it make a difference? Doubt it. Does the state stock panfish? Nope. Makes me wonder if the word overpopulation ever came up before they changed things.