1st Annual Tie Fest West!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Baja_Traveler, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Baja_Traveler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +839
    OK all you fly tiers (and those who are interested in starting) - I just stumbled across this last night on a Facebook page. Sounds like something I really want to go to and maybe learn some new patterns and techniques.
    Hope to see a few of you there, I figure if it gets a great attendance hopefully it will return next year....
    168220928.AFKmO4Kz.jpg

2. dooolan

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +975
    I will be there for the first few hours. Have to bail by 11am.

3. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,294
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    I will be out of town or I would go. I probably would have learn a lot.

4. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,187
    It's my kid's birthday, otherwise I'd be there.

5. FlyFavorite

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +546
    Ill be there tying, hope to see and meet some new friends

6. mistercameron

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +510
    This looks interesting. I'll see if I can convince my son.

7. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,193
    This was a cool event - watched FlyFavorite tie up a delicious looking little baitfish pattern (honestly, if that thing was on a cracker with a little cream cheese I would've scarfed it myself) and got to talk to a really nice guy, Dave Valadez who tied up two sardina patterns right in front of me. A couple of observations:

1. It's really something that these experts would donate their time, basically for free, to teach us and show us how to tie. I mean, honestly, that's a long day of tying and some of these guys drove a long way to be here in San Diego. So a heartfelt, "THANK YOU" to all of the participants - your commitment to the sport is commendable.

2. If you haven't gone to one of these things (I hadn't - my experience was limited to walking past a bunch of folks tying flies at the Pleasanton Show last year) DO IT. Even better, don't be afraid to pull up a chair and chat with the tyer - ask a bunch of questions, buy them a beer (or a soda) take some time to learn about what they are doing. Ryan (FlyFavorite) showed me a little inside move with some peach chenille that I had no idea about before (thought I forgot about that already, right?). Dave Valadez took about an hour to tie up sardina flies to my description - even taking the time to jump online and match the fly to photos - I also learned how to get a better, smoother, more symmetrical head on the baitifish. I tried to get one take away lesson from each person I watched and I asked a lot of questions.

3. The bar at that boat club is pretty epic, cheap beers, cheap food and quite a cast of bar denizen. I think I may have found a new hidey hole. And ask for the cup of goldfish, crackers.... they're free.

All in all I really enjoyed the couple hours I spent there - I'm not a member of any fly fishing club but perhaps somebody could give me the info on which of them arranged that event. I think I might be interested in joining up to learn more.

Oh yeah - at the end of the event (I was still lurking right up to the end), Dave Valadez flipped those two Sardina flies at me and told me good luck. How cool is that?

8. dooolan

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +975
    I was there until 11, missed you by a little bit. I learned a few tricks myself. Dave V has perfected the art.

9. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,193
    Yes one thing I noticed was that he is super into detail.

I'm such a hack, if it's green on top and white on the bottom, has some kind of lumpy, Elephant Man, epoxy head and a couple of eyes somewhere near the front, I call it a "sardina".

With that guy, the details are super important.... maybe that's why some folks seem to be the magic fish catchers and the other dudes (me) fight for every grab I can get.

10. Baja_Traveler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +839
    I was there at opening at 9am and stayed until noon. Tried to talk with every one of the tiers and was really impressed with the knowledge and technique they were so willing to share. Picked up a few good tips from everyone, and even learned how to tie a Senko like worm I can cast for freshwater bass using my 8 weight.
    Chuck Waterman of Functional Fly Tying put on and hosted the event. He is a member there at the club, and also belongs to the Golden State Fly Casters (who have a meeting and dinner tomorrow night at 32 North Brewing Company - starting 6pm by the way - just off Miramar Road, speaker talking about fly fishing photography).
    It was a lot of fun, and I really hope there will be a 2nd annual tie fest. I'll be able to talk to Chuck next weekend up at the big fly fishing fair in Glendale to see how he felt about the turnout (and hand him money for one of his fly vise pedestals).

11. mistercameron

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +510
    Didn’t get a chance to go. Was it kid friendly at all, as the flyer somewhat suggested?

12. FlyFavorite

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +546
    Sorry you couldn't make it. Yes it was kid friendly, Mark Owens son was there tying up a few clousers and doing well at it. It was a blast tying with and for everyone to get pointers. Hope next year we will get it again, it was a good turnout.

13. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,294
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    Great write up Jon wish I was there.