1st Bugg off OB Pier

Discussion in 'Lobster Fishing' started by dlund82, Nov 13, 2014.

1. dlund82

dlund82 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    When I used to live in a house, I would smoke cigars all the time because I had a place to do it. Now that I live in an apartment, I have no where to sit and enjoy a cigar to 1-2 hours. The other day I decided I missed smoking them, so I order a box online. Step 1, cigars purchase.

Step 2.
    Decide on a place to enjoy them in the evenings. Somewhere with a nice view, so I decided on OB pier (I know there is no smoking, but it is OB, no one cares)

My next thought was, if I am going to be sitting on the pier for a few hours each week, why not try to catch some dinner. I read Paul's how to hoop net article, bought the supplies and gave it a try last night.

I didn't want to use the metal bait box, so I did a little search and made this bait holder below and it worked great:
    http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=15448

I was out for a little over 2 hours after sunset with an outgoing tide. I only pulled up once without a bug in it. I pulled up frequently based on some articles. I ended getting about 20, mostly small but one keeper.

1st Bugg.jpg

Sauteed the tail up with some butter and it was delicious. The cigar was good too in case anyone was wondering. I have found my new evening hobby, I just need to go during the day to catch bait, buying frozen macs will get pricey.

2. mclanea

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +116
    Pretty jealous! Just spent 3+ hours out there and only caught a couple tiny sand crabs. Are you fishing on the T or on the main pier?

3. Paul the Great

Paul the Great Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +318
    Well done. One is a winner. I consider that a success.

Good job. Nobody ever caught one sitting on their couch.

4. dlund82

Ratings:
    +50
    Thanks Paul. Mclanea, I am pretty sure it was beginners luck but I will keep going. I went out Saturday night for a few hours, and nothing. It was packed, there was a net down every 10-20 feet. I am going to stick to weekdays. I was in various places on the pier but always between the coast and the cafe. Around the cafe, the rocks disappear and it is just sand. I assume that you will have better luck near/on the rocks but I could be wrong.

5. mclanea

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +116
    Headed out tonight. Hoping to find spots short of the cafe. There's a drop off somewhere in there. That's what I'm looking for, right?

(Trying a few different bait options, too... 5 nets... mixing things up after getting shut out.)

6. dlund82

Ratings:
    +50
    How did you do? I am not really sure of a drop off, I think it just gradually gets deeper as you go out. Somewhere around the cafe it turns from a rock bottom to Sand and I try to stay on/near the rocks.

I am pretty sure that legally you can only have/use 2 nets at a time off piers, but I maybe wrong.

7. mclanea

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +116
    Yeah, corrected the net thing. It's 2 per angler. (Re-read the DFP regs on Sunday... 5 is on a boat w/max 10 per boat, 2 on a pier per angler.

Sat night we were there 3 hours and landed just 4, no keepers.

Sun night we were there 4.5 hours and landed nothing. Literally, same spot with the same setup. (less 1 net) The swell was a bit heavier and the tide was coming in vs. going out on Sat night.

Still trying to sort it all out. But pretty discouraged last night. I didn't see anyone out there catching anything.

8. dlund82

Ratings:
    +50
    I think it is pretty hit or miss. So far, I found that the first 2 hours after sunset have been good for me. After that it pretty much dies. I will be out there again tomorrow night.

I personally just like being out there and if I happen to catch dinner it is a bonus.