2/11-Murray: Rough start/Better finish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by VinnyBass, Feb 11, 2021.

1. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,434
    Rough start to my morning as my garage door opener malfunctioned and I just stared at my boat inside the garage and said....well...no fishing today. One place could be out on Monday(are you kidding me!) and then found another place that could be out this morning. Anyway.... to make a long story shorter...the door got fixed and it was now close to 10a.m. I was thinking of just going fishing tomorrow and suddenly I was in my truck on my way to Murray. Got on the water around 10:20 and messed around on a point and picked up a mini dink(aka skunk-breaker) on a Ned rig with a Z-man TRD worm. Fished there for a while and hit another point and finally picked up another dink on a Ned rig with a Z-man turbo craw. This bass was just slightly larger than the mini dink. It was a nice just to be on the water after what happened this morning. The water temp was bouncing between 59-60 degrees and just for the heck of it I decided to head in and fish some tulles. I worked a few areas and nothing and just decided to try another patch of tulles. I tossed a jig with a craw trailer on it and my line got tight and felt a little tick and pulled back and the fight was on. I had to go in and pull her out of the tulles she was tangled in and lifted in a nice 6.75 lb bass into my boat. Its mouth was huge and compared to my dinks this was really exciting!! I worked more tulles and then I switched over and flipped a black worm. I started to lift it off the bottom and it got slammed! It was another really nice bass when it came up to the top and I fought it for about 10 seconds( that is a long time when you are right next to the tulles)and it quickly swam down into the tulles and came off. After a few choice words(actually many)....I stayed in that area for the longest time hoping I could catch her again but it was not going to happen. I decided to return to some previous tulles before going home and glad I went back there. I was tossing a pumpkin colored craw bait and wham-bam it got bit and I landed a fat 5 1/2 lb bass. After such a bad start to the morning, I am glad I decided to go fishing(late start and all) and ended up with 2 dinks and 2 pretty nice bass.

2:11:21 6.75 bss.PNG

5 1:2 2:11:21.PNG

#1 VinnyBass, Feb 11, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  2. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,456
    Nice fish ,good job out there, Vinny.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Nick Arevalo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,862
    Boat:
    None
    Nice fish! Good job! Hopefully they'll start moving shallow there soon so I can try get one from shore.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. 929nitro

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +289
    The girls a looking to get busy...great fish.

5. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,434
    Thanks Nick.....heck, I need to get out to Santee lakes after reading your posts. I have not fished there in several years. I always enjoy seeing some of those bass you pull out of there. I think the bass will be moving in at Murray when the water temp goes up just a little more. Tight lines buddy. :)

#5 VinnyBass, Feb 11, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  6. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,434
    Yeah...it was quite funny as my first 2 bass were out off the points and very small.....I guess the girls
    got bored off the point and decided to take a stroll closer to shore..ha ha
    Tight lines to ya! :)

7. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,011
    Pre frontal conditions pay-off! Ide be pounding it daily of I was in your situation....
    Yes, Im jealous......

8. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,434
    My thumb got torn up on that the bass I caught on a jig...it was hard to hold up because her teeth were sharp.
    Later I was putting hand sanitizer on my hands and boy did that burn like heck where the cut was.
    thumb.PNG
    I will try to get out but the girlfriend is going to be off for a few days and because she never complains about me fishing...I may hang around with her just as a good measure. Gee...maybe she wants to go up to the Bass Pro Shop while I am hanging around with her....ha ha. :)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,011
    :emoji_face_palm: More gear......

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,434
    You nailed in on the head.
    When I got home from Murray there was a Tackle Warehouse box waiting for me(it still has not been opened) and about an hour earlier tonight, I ordered some more senkos and line from them. Guess I'm addicted to buying more gear and tackle.......................at least it is better than being addicted to crack. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,936
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    2 pretty nice bass..you're spoiled, those are nice bass..not "pretty" nice bass! Can't you open your garage door manually...buy less baits and buy a new garage door! I knew I should of fished the warm front with the cold front trailing it, my yard work could of waited! Nice porkers!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Big C

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +437
    Excellent Vinny! Your persistence pays off again.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,091
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    damn, Vinny I wish I had your luck or skill or both! You manage to find some great fish CONSISTENTLY!! well done.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,434
    I was lucky I just decided to go fishing instead of moping around the house after the early part of the morning already passed. Tight lines and looking forward to reports from you and your son. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,434
    Lets check out the SDFish communication network.......Hey fisheromen or RamonaAngler or even you mcfish....when the heck does Sutherland open. First one to answer and I promise not to talk over 10 minutes to you when we are out on the water fishing at the Lake of Donald and Kiefer. :)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,091
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    Crickets!!! Lol

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,434
    It’s funny.... I just wanted to see who is going to answer me first but I guess in the daytime everybody’s sleeping I guess. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,219
    it opens in march, but its always a tough bite, bring a lunch and spend the day in May. nice report Vinny. now isn't the time to sit around and wait for the new episodes of gunsmoke . Covid gave many people a perfect reason to sit around at home and do nothing. The pine boxes are selling fast.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  19. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,646
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Usually Suth... the lake of Donald and Keifer opens the first Friday of March. Wind, rain, snow, sleet, hail or high water, I'll be there!

edit: I went back and read the posts before I got called out and.... ho hum VinnyBass caught 2 more 5+ pound Bass... in February! :emoji_hushed:

#19 fisheromen, Feb 12, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. Egorham

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +564
    Vinny!!!! WTG man. I knew you were due for a good one. I've been exploring some other lakes, and have been catching some fish everywhere, but still nothing this winter over 5 for me! Way to show me how it's done.