2/3 North SD Bay; sorry no pics

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by agrazela, Feb 5, 2018.

1. agrazela

agrazela Unstable Subgenius
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,109
    Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    SeaHunt172CC Opti125
    Got back from a business trip to Minneapolis Friday evening (sub-zero the whole time I was there!), didn't get the boat out at all in January and I couldn't wait to get out on the water and relax. And boy, was it ever nice! Perfect temps, lightest of breeze, perfect 1mph drift in the perfect direction...coulda told me I was a kid on a Summer's day!

Put in at Pepper Park with plans to shoot to the mouth of the bay and drift various spots all the way back to the bridge on the incoming tide...but never left the area from the base of the jetty to the cable crossing. From about 7:30am to about 11:30am I made some 7 or 8 drifts on the Coronado-side channel edge, in about 45-50' of water over sandy bottom. Unfulfilled goal was a keeper halibut; but I did catch a dozen undersized halibut (biggest about 18"), a couple octopi, a number of small rockfish, and half a dozen sculpin--of which I kept 4 good-sized specimens for tacos tonight.

(Oddly, no SBB or Sandies)

All caught on a 5/8oz or so football head with a 4" big-tailed grub (Kalin's lunker-type), sweetened with some cut bait. All the sculpin and rocks went for shrimp on an orange/brown grub with red sparkles, the octopi and halibut all went for squid on a white grub.

Again, sorry no pics.

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +41,957
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Sounds like a good day to me..