2 Upcoming Gun Control Battles

Discussion in 'Hunting & Firearms' started by 5spot, Mar 23, 2021.

1. 5spot

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +973
    The Georgia shooting - State talking about a mandatory wait period of 5 days like CAs 10. The shooter got the gun the morning of.

The Colorado shooting - Boulder just rejected a law banning normal capacity mags(more than 10) and ARs. It was reported a modern sporting rifle was used.

Hold onto your hats boys and girls.....

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. Kian.K

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +354
    Anything in particular that is so bad about a waiting period? Surely makes it a bit more difficult for the impulsive situations where someone with serious mental health problem decided to do something horrific.

I'm not for any seriously restrictive laws but there must be certain things that can help without causing too much of a nuisance to law abiding gun owners.

Just wanting a good faith discussion nothing politically motivated here.

I wonder if there is evidence for anything that actually works or if it's just pointless because of the poor state of mental health care we have.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,960
    Once you own one gun, a waiting period is asinine. Also, I really fail to see how a waiting period would have prevented Boulder. Atlanta? Perhaps? Depends on just how passionate the guy was about doing this, or if it were completely spur of the moment. But what little we've seen so far for Boulder (too new for much more than speculation) I'm willing to bet a waiting period would have just changed the who and when more than anything else.

I have what is apparently a novel idea on all of this though. Why don't we, oh I don't know, actually try enforcing the laws on the books to begin with, as opposed to creating more laws? And stop punishing law abiding citizens for the actions of those who have no care for laws? Some regulation makes sense, but the current climate does not allow for any amount of compromise towards a solution that would actually suit the needs/desires of both sides. And there is the human factor to consider, along with the fact that you really can't preemptively refuse a right to someone without rock solid proof that its for the better.

Either way, this is going to be a theatre production of tearing apart the Constitution in the name of "protecting" the nation that it actually creates and governs. All the while ensuring that the government can with impunity remove any rights it so feels on nothing more than a whim.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,224
    Everything involving weapons for citizens is politically motivated. If it wasnt political, it wouldnt constantly be getting dragged through the court system. Lets agree with that first because if we don't, there's no sense in tossing any personal thoughts out there.

We have laws currently out there that DO NOT get enforced.

Nothing wrong with a "waiting" period so that LE can determine the mental/legal wellness of the purchaser. But this is CA.. If people really want a weapon that bad that fast for whatever reason, they're gonna get one. You just gotta know who to ask, the street corner that person frequents, and have cash in your pocket. Please keep in mind.. the weapons dont shoot themselves.

Simple question.. What's the reasoning for the 10 round max handgun mag here in CA? There is none. The 10-round max capacity was created to suppress all public outcry in the event there was a mass casualty shooting incident here. I'm guessing politicians having to explain the injuries or deaths of ten beats trying to explain thirteen, I dont know. If things keep going they way they are, you can look forward to "single shot only" weapons in the future - meaning, you would have to reload after every shot. It's coming.

5. 5spot

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +973
    The non-enforcement of laws on the books and new and unconstitutional laws applied to all the law abiding can make a person think the government really wants the 2a gone.

#5 5spot, Mar 23, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  6. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,115
    I am in favor of more gun laws. Specifically, if you buy a gun for someone who commits a crime, you do the time with 'em. If you buy a gun for a kid who's too young to buy their own...not talking about firearms for your own kids to use.....Felony with mandatory prison time.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,318
    what we have are people making gun laws, that weren't allowed to play outside as kids. parents that told them its to dangerous, never climbed a tree. they only knew the game boy they played with. bullies were on the play ground. now the world is a scary place. Guns are tools, nothing more. hammers kill people too.
    as far as more laws, there are ammo back ground checks, waiting periods. magazine restrictions, the mentally ill are walking the streets , state didn't have money for state hospitals to help them stay in. just blame the gun.

#7 fishnfreak, Mar 23, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,318
    Ask Biden,
    its Trumps fault, just like the border crises.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,417
    US has far more mass shootings per capita than any other country and a far higher death by gun rate than any industrialized country by far. Would like to hear from gun advocates regards what to do about that (besides more guns). Canada with lots of hunting going on has much lower gun deaths than the US. Switzerland with a very high gun ownership rate (not as high as the US though) has much lower gun deaths per capita.

Switzerland has a stunningly high rate of gun ownership — here's why it doesn't have mass shootings.

Republicans have been called the party of no ideas (vs. Democrats the party of bad ideas). Tell me what the good idea here is.

Any ideas?

10. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,333
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Full mandatory age group conscription might indeed not be a bad idea . All that are conscripted are trained in the use of weapons and when off duty still carry their combat gear and weapons home . I believe that ammo is no longer issued to the conscripts as of 2007 . I think it would be hard to get the votes and participation in the USA , but the discipline and training would be a good thing . If all US gun owners were indeed involved in a state approved militia after service there more than likely be a lowering of crime rates Etc . It is hard to act up when most everyone has a gun and knows how to use it . I just don't see that one coming to the gavel in congress any time soon .

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,136
    Canada doesn't have a gang problem genius.

12. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,136
    Wrong. Russia, Norway, France, Switzerland, and Finland lead the US in mass shootings per capita.

13. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,417
    Gun murder rate in the US is highest in rural states that have less gang problems than urban states.

Canada does have gangs, less so than the US though.

An estimated 13% of all homicides in the US are gang related so gangs do not explain why the US homicide rate (67% by gun) is much higher than other countries.

Easy to be a genius compared to yourself, bar is set low on that one.

Stats of the States - Firearm Mortality

Measuring the Extent of Gang Problems

Gangs in Canada

Gun violence in the United States - Wikipedia

14. hookemdano

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,120
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352
    wikipedia lol.gif

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,136
    You are grasping at straws and desperate to make an argument where there is non. I discredited one of your claims already. Now you claim Canadas gang problem is the same scale as the US. Lie. You also claim violence with a gun is higher in rural states then urban states. We don't have rural and urabn state. We have rural areas and urban areas in every states. The gun crimes occure in those urban areas. Illinois doesn't have a problem as a whole, Chicago has the problem. Michigan doesn't have a problem as a whole, Detroit is the problem.
    Your 13% of all homicides is correct but we are talking about guns here, so lets try to stay focused. Gang violence accounts for around 80% of all gun involved homicides. It varies slightly from year to year but not much. Nice try genius.

16. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,136
    Just for the record I'll correct what I said earlier. It is drug/gang crime not just gang crime.

17. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,160
    Boat:
    Montauk
    (Sigh) And this is what the conversation always deteriorates into... Like clockwork. It's an interesting topic though...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,136
    Did I offend you?

19. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,160
    Boat:
    Montauk
    Nope

20. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,115
    I got two disagrees. Can't fathom that.

The two kooks who shot up Columbine were too young to buy guns. So they asked their 18 year old friend to buy a gun for them so they could shoot their classmates. . She did. They killed how many people? And she only got 2 years in prison. Oh, no, wait. She got....nothing. NO punishment.

Hey, any law abiding citizen should be able to own as many firearms as they want. My friends who are into guns each own dozens (or hundreds), and none of them will ever be used in a crime.

Many of the laws on the books are ineffective and aren't gonna stop any criminals from...well, being criminals. But when some gang-banger who can't legally buy a gun wants one....his buddy who hadn't been convicted of anything (yet) can buy it for him?

A gun is just metal and maybe some plastic and wood. It's not a problem. The person who uses it in a crime is the problem. And the person who bought the gun for them, in order to make the violent crime possible, is the problem. But I guess at least two of you feel that it's okay for criminals to have guns, and it's okay for me to buy one for a criminal to pursue his career objectives. Did I miss some nuance, or are you simply pro-crime?

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List