2 Upcoming Gun Control Battles

Discussion in 'Hunting & Firearms' started by 5spot, Mar 23, 2021.

1. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,904
    This is a opportunity to see what works, this guy from Colorado. He will now be in the government's hands 24/7 for the rest of his life. Do you believe he will get any mental health help, and truly help him or do you think they will pump him full of drugs and make him a zombie.
    That's what they do with kids that are hyper.

2. Kian.K

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +547
    I'm genuinely curious though. The attitude some people have here of just not wanting to discuss things stems from a place of disrespect and a poor culture of citizen engagement.

I know people who live in switzerland and iceland where the right to own firearms is still protected, but the process to get the firearm is just a little more difficult than it is here.

I personally believe in the right to own firearms and defend yourself, family, property, etc.

I also don't agree with all the ******** restrictions CA has made on firearms, magazines, ammunition, and the like.

But one has to wonder what the actual reason is that we have so many mass shootings?

Perhaps the issue has little to do with firearms and firearms are just a very effective tool in terms of damage inflicted when the wrong people get their hands on em.

Lots of people in other countries have easy access to weapons too but rarely do you see mass shootings not involving some sort of organized crime.

I'm also interested in national conscription or some sort of mandatory national service year for all citizens, but not sure if that would help this specific issue.

3. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +20,896
    Clearly, I'm gonna have to put a Wikipedia shortcut on my desktop.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +20,896
    Because government politics allows them to occur. Its good for their business. This country has hundreds of weapons use laws on the books that aren't enforced, but your politicians always seem to wanna get on PrimeTime and tell everyone that they want to create more. So, keep adding more useless weapons "laws" and only enforce the ones that help keep the "We're coming for your guns" narrative alive.

Politicians salivate at the thought of the next mass shooting. Every mass shooting allows the door to re-open for more calls to ban all weapons. Perfect timing, its amazing. Politics/government/LE hold no one responsible or accountable for their actions anywhere close to what they should. If we did, this system would be eye for an eye - and we would follow through.

Once the first one was hanged publicly, things would slow down. But we dont do that here in these 'ol parts because we aren't a serious player. And no CA career politician wants to risk his/her political career by upsetting anyone's sensibilities.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,221
    Mental illness and drug use are to blame for most unprovoked violence and government can't really fix that. I don't know what the solution is but I don't think the answer will come from a politician. How do you legislate personal turmoil? All we can do is listen to those around us, if someone close to you starts talking crazy or paranoid, talk with them, be there for them, help them get help, if they indicate they might become violent, report them. If the government does anything it should be to make mental help more available. From experience with family members going through mental health issues, it can be difficult to find help, often a bottle or drugs are easier solutions and those combined with mental illness are a ticking time bomb.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,904
    I can't remember a mass shooting prior to 1974 when the draft was stopped, you mite have a good point.
    It was 1982 at McDonald's in San ysido that I remember

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,246
    HookemDano, which part of that do you disagree with? Unlike some people, I'm listening an am capable of changing my mind. Specifically, what do you think I got wrong? Thanks.

8. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,246
    There have probably been "mass shootings" ever since firearms became small enough for a person to carry more than one.
    There was the texas bell tower kook in the sixties, brenda spencer in the seventies, patrick purdy (stockton) in the eighties. (spencer and purdy both shot-up schools named "Cleveland." hmmm.)

9. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,248
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    The first I can think of wasCharles Witman in the 1966 Texas tower . 14 dead 31 wounded as I recall . I also seem to recall citizens arming themselves and shooting back with their hunting rifles

10. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,278
    Boat:
    Montauk
    Luby's shooting in Killeen comes to mind. Not only for the number of fatalities, but a bit of a catalyst for the concealed carry movement of the time.

On another note, I wonder why this happens so much in Colorado?

11. hookemdano

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +26,894
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352

I am in favor of more gun laws. Specifically, if you buy a gun for someone who commits a crime, you do the time with 'em. If you buy a gun for a kid who's too young to buy their own...not talking about firearms for your own kids to use.....Felony with mandatory prison time.

I am NOT…until they enforce the laws on the books…why add more ?

I got two disagrees. Can't fathom that.

The two kooks who shot up Columbine were too young to buy guns. So they asked their 18 year old friend to buy a gun for them so they could shoot their classmates. . She did. They killed how many people? And she only got 2 years in prison. Oh, no, wait. She got....nothing. NO punishment.

Hey, any law abiding citizen should be able to own as many firearms as they want. My friends who are into guns each own dozens (or hundreds), and none of them will ever be used in a crime.

Many of the laws on the books are ineffective and aren't gonna stop any criminals from...well, being criminals. But when some gang-banger who can't legally buy a gun wants one....his buddy who hadn't been convicted of anything (yet) can buy it for him?

A gun is just metal and maybe some plastic and wood. It's not a problem. The person who uses it in a crime is the problem. And the person who bought the gun for them, in order to make the violent crime possible, is the problem. But I guess at least two of you feel that it's okay for criminals to have guns, and it's okay for me to buy one for a criminal to pursue his career objectives. Did I miss some nuance, or are you simply pro-crime?”

You do NOT know that…you think that and you may be correct…BUT…you do NOT know that

12. hookemdano

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +26,894
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352
    that must be why they always want to ban AR-15s

my buddies daughter was shot in the arm by that idiot

13. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,246
    You do NOT know that…you think that and you may be correct…BUT…you do NOT know that

My friends with firearms store their hardware toys in safes. If the gun is not on their person, it is locked up. They will never be used in a crime, or given to a criminal to use in a crime.

I am NOT…until they enforce the laws on the books…why add more ?

Many of the laws that exist are unenforceable, or do nothing to prevent gun-related crime. I would only support laws that would reduce crime. While the families of the kids killed in Columbine were torn apart and grieve to this day, the woman who bought one of the guns is out doing whatever she pleases. Who knows how many more guns she has bought for kids or convicted felons to use in crimes? At least if she had been locked up for a year or ten or twenty, she wouldn't be able to do so.
    And before you say that I don't know whether she's been buying guns for criminals....the only reliable predictor of behavior is whether you've done it in the past.

14. hookemdano

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +26,894
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352

oh jeez...again...you do NOT know that...you just want to believe that none of your friends would ever use a gun in a crime.....ya know how many thought the same thing ? BUT were wrong ? the answer is NOT zero...and yes they were just as shocked as you would be

the laws they are pushing now would not have prevented this latest shooting...just more useless laws

now your turn:

what are a few of the "Many of the laws that exist are unenforceable" ?

15. hookemdano

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +26,894
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352

you make it sound like she knew their plans...she says she did not...even in liberal denver...they didnt charge her

On November 22, 1998, their friend Robyn Anderson purchased the carbine rifle and the two shotguns for the pair at the Tanner Gun Show, as they were too young to legally purchase the guns themselves. After the attack, she told investigators that she had believed the pair wanted the items for target shooting, and that she had no prior knowledge of their plans. Anderson was not charged.

The Denver Post Online - News

16. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,491
    You cite no sources for your claims. Where's the facts?

Your comprehension is terrible, I specifically said "Canada does have gangs, less so than the US though" not "Canadas gang problem is the same scale as the US". Or maybe you are just dishonest. And your spelling and grammar are fraught with errors.

Go to Stats of the States - Firearm Mortality and sort by death rate, the 5 highest gun violence death rate states are less urbanized (in general) than the 5 lowest death rate states.

List of states by urbanization is at Urbanization in the United States - Wikipedia . 2020 Census results not in yet.

17. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,221
    Your state by state stats are gun injury deaths total. That includes self inflicted injury that caused death(accidental/suicide). Look at homicide rates in major cities vs states as a whole. You are still ignoring where in these so called "rural states" these homicides are occuring.
    Murder rate in U.S. cities in 2019 | Statista

You can insult my spelling and grammer all you want I really don't care, at least I know there is no such thing as a rural or urban state.

18. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,246
    Well, if that's what she said, I guess we should all believe her. She is a lying sack of **** but that's just a conclusion based on her willingness to do something she knew was wrong.. My opinion does not matter; what matters is that without a law holding her responsible, she is free to buy guns for whomever asks, as many times as she is asked. "But I didn't know they were gonna shoot somebody" are magic words that make everything okay.
    If you buy beer for a kid you can be charged with providing alcohol, or even for contributing to the delinquency of a minor, depending on the circumstances.
    The reason those laws exist is because of the potential for harm due to your actions. "But I didn't know they were gonna drink it, they told me they wanted to make some beer-battered fish" doesn't get you off the hook.
    The laws against buying booze for kids deters most people. But whatever law exists in Colorado was no deterrent in this case even after the fact. She can keep doing it. Heck, if the person who provided the guns used at Columbine didn't get in trouble, what's to stop me from buying guns for kids who want 'em?

19. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,248
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Under current California , 26500 PC and Federal , 18 USC 922 and 924 . Any and all would face Jail and fine . Federal up to 10 years and $250,000.00 . It sure would deter me from buying a firearm for a prohibited person . These codes were enacted after the fact of Columbine and others . I do not know how well they are enforced . One can only hope they are indeed enforced .

20. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,537
    I thought this statement was interest I heard on the news from a commentator: "When police shoot and kill, it is the officers fault/responsibility. When a criminal shoots and kills, it is the guns fault."

There's one law that should stop any of these mass killings... it is illegal to kill another person. But that law is not followed by some obviously. I think the waiting period seems appropriate especially since it was pointed out that the 21 yr old in Colorado bought the gun that same day. Who knows, if that law was in effect he could have driven off some place and plowed into people.