2014 San Diego Chargers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kellen, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,856
    The Chargers open training camp this Thursday, July 24th...

FanFest is August 2nd from 11 AM to 1 PM at the Q.

The Bolts open up the preseason on August 7th against Dallas in SD.

And they open up the regular season on Monday night, Sept 8th at Arizona.

2. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,856
    ...and today, they cut former 1st round draft pick (16th overall in 2009) Larry English. Not sure we ever saw what English could actually do, as he seemed to always be hurt.

Some speculating English's release indicates that Dwight Freeney is healthy and expected to be able to perform at a high level this year. That'd be GREAT news for the Bolts if true.

3. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,605
    I can't wait for pre season and regular season.

I have tickets to the raiders game in November...not sure how good of an idea that was but oh well.

4. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,856
    I've been to a few Raiders games at the Q and never had an issue.

5. bajacamp

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +626
    Can't wait for the season to start. I like the west divisional games the best K.C., Denver, but my favorite is the the Raiders game. Bolts and fans need all the support for that game. I've had lots of good and bad times threw the years at the Chargers, Raiders games, always a exciting place to be...... Yeah English is always hurt, never played like a 1st rounder. I like the cut......If the Bolts stay healthy they will win some games...........

6. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,605
    I've never had issues in the games, just at the tail gates before and after. Going with a buddy and his wife who are raiders fans, we both just want to see a real good game and drink a lot of beer.

7. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,856
    Jonas Mouton released today. Probably one of the biggest flops since Ryan Leaf. 2nd round pick in 2011, and in 3 seasons I think Mouton played 5 snaps total. Went on IR in week 3 of the 2011 season, was inactive most of 2012, and then missed the entire 2013 season with a torn ACL.

8. amsuarez86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +594
    Injury prone. Too bad, he seemed to have a skill set that could be used, but hes made of glass.

We have a nice LB core, if you ask me. Here is the big but; if Freeney (as everyone is saying) stays healthy we could have a very legit pass rush. Ingram is a stud and we saw what he could do pre injury. It would be the first time in a very long time that we had a stout pass rush and a decent secondary.

I truly feel that we have a very solid team this year. I like the running backs that we have and I believe that this is the new face of the NFL. You need to have a platoon of RB's, one for every situation. I also like the mentality that our new office has built. We have more of a team atmosphere than I have seen in recent years past.

Rivers looks good, but I know defenses will be savvy to Keenan Allen this year. I mean he absolutely torched defenses. Green will be sneaking in under the radar and stealing more snaps from Gates as he hands down the torch. We have a great team and I am excited for this season.

9. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,856
    Rivers said the thing that stood out most about today's camp - how good Flowers and Verrett looked.

Thats good news! I expect Verrett to be a star, it'd be nice if Flowers surprised everyone and returned to form.

10. gatorfan

gatorfan USN BMC (ret)
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +610
    I can't imagine English's release has anything to do with Freeney's health. Freeney was healthy going into the season last year and they kept English. I think it has more to do with finally accepting the fact that the guy can't [unfortunately] stay healthy! (I wish the Padres would actually do the same thing with CQ). I have hopeful optimism that Freeney is healthy and can contribute more this season. He didn't get any younger though...

I haven't been this excited to see a defense play in a long time!

Go BOLTS!

11. ryan2421

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +92
    The season couldn't arrive any sooner. I'm really excited to see how much the D has improved and to think that all 11 starters on offense last year are back is a definite plus.

Adding flowers to the secondary is a HUGE upgrade from anything we had before, and I'm crossing my fingers that Verrett blossoms into a star.

Gotta love what Telesco/McCoy are doing with the organization. I BELIEVE in the front office.

12. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,856
    Yeah, kind of looks like this is the first season in a while with a reason to be optimistic without being a total homer. Returning that many starters on offense is spectacular. I think losing all those o-lineman to premature retirements a few years ago (Dielman, McNeil) set the team back a few years.

13. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,856
    Pre season starts today! Anyone actually going to watch? hah. I'll be recording it at least, not sure how much I'll be able to watch.

14. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,605
    I'll be watching it off and on while I get the house ready for my son's visit. I'm just happy football is here again.

15. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,856
    Well, what did you guys think? Offense moved the ball well.

16. amsuarez86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +594
    Defensive line looked pretty rusty and our first team defense was sketchy as a whole. Weddle was a pro, as always.

Offense looked good, we have a ton of talent there and I am not really worried about it that side of the ball. As long as we can stay healthy.

Ryan Matthews continues to do dumb ****. I dont know if that was by design, i will assume it was, but you have to put two hands on that ball. I dont care if youre front flipping or going up the gut. Protect the ROCK!

If it was up to me, Woodhead would get all the goal line carries. He doesnt do stupid ****. Best pickup in years.

I say we cut V. Brown and keep Inman. He looked really explosive and has some playing time under his belt.

I try and not read too much into these games, but I always do. If we can stay healthy we will put up numbers. The defense worried me, I know that a few starters didnt play, but I was still kinda put off by them. Dallas had their second string in and they were moving quite well.

We have a tough schedule ahead. I have predicted 9-7, which I think is respectable. If we beat Seattle that will set the tone for the entire season. Seattle looked EXTREMELY sharp yesterday.

On another note the new rules in the passing game are insane....

17. gatorfan

gatorfan USN BMC (ret)
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +610
    I sure hope they keep Natrone Sproles (Oliver)

18. amsuarez86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +594
    hahah seriously. that kid was a beast! Apparently he is extremely humble, hard working, really close with his family and is a very spiritual person. His parents would drive from Florida all the way to Buffalo for every game! Pretty intense! I just hope for the best for a guy like that. There are too many people that get notoriety for doing dumb stuff. I would like to see him kept around as well.

19. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,973
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Now there's the Chargers we know and love!

20. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,856
    Man the Seahawks tv guys are the biggest homers. They were complaining about the defensive contact penalties the whole game. They're in for a rude awakening under the new rule emphasis if their DBs don't adjust their style of play.

The announcers seem to think the NFL is just bluffing and the refs will start calling it the same as before once the season starts.