2014 San Diego Chargers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kellen, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bajacamp

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +626
    Yeah Fisheromen, I was wandering that today too. I was also wandering at my age as a fan how many seasons I have left before I turn my toes up......I not asking for much but I would like to see a Chargers Super Bowl Win and a Padres W.S. Champs......Oh well just dreaming....... It was need to see Gates get to 10,000 receiving yards for his career and Rivers over 4,000 passing yards for the season. Can't wait until next year..........

2. jakejake527

jakejake527 Active Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Horrible playcalling in the end.

4 pass plays in a row at the 3 yard line. 2 draws from shotgun down the middle for the tough yards.

I think the chargers will have a different OC next year.

3. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,855
    I hope so, play calling was an issue all year I thought. Also would've liked to see the offense going up tempo more often.

Someone has to get the injury thing figured out. I know it plagued the team through the Norv tenure, and the entire training staff was fired because of it. But they need to figure it out. It can't just be dumb luck every year.

Gotta hire a third party firm to track every injury and see if there is a pattern. Especially the oline injuries.

4. vonred

vonred Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Rivers is done let's move on people.

5. jakejake527

Ratings:
    +21
    at least 20 teams would beg for Rivers' services.

you think the chargers should just cut him?

trade him for who?

draft who?

who do you think the Chargers can realistically pick up that is better than Rivers?

Please....

6. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,740
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Unfortunate truth is, Rivers is getting older and the declining curve is much steeper than the incline. He could flail around the league like Favre or he could bow out gracefully. Same could be said for Gates. (he says as he stirs the pot)

7. vonred

vonred Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +15
    How about Mariota I would rather take my chances with a rookie then cry me a rivers again and look I'm as big of a charger fan as they come. Rivers has had 14 years to get it done , again it time to move on!

8. jakejake527

Ratings:
    +21
    he's only 33. I think he'll play for at least 5 more years.

brees is 2 years older, eli is same age...and no one is talking about their age and decline.

we were even talking about River being an MVP candidate earlier in the season.

unfortunately injuries and lack of team depth at certain positions finally caught up with the chargers against quality opponents.

I don't see a decline curve at all.

9. vonred

vonred Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +15
    18 interceptions and he's going to have back surgery this off season and he's no Peyton

10. jakejake527

Ratings:
    +21
    you think mariota will be available by pick #17?

i hear a lot of complaints about rivers....haven't yet heard a plausible solution

if the chargers won the last game and got in the playoffs, you guys wouldn't even be talking about Rivers' "decline"

11. gatorfan

gatorfan USN BMC (ret)
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +606
    I'm pretty sure Rivers has shown what he can do with some protection. But if we are talking about drafting a QB, give me that kid that played last night for Ohio State after next season or the season after! That dude is a beast that can run if needed (I wouldn't want him to run as much as he did last night) but is big and strong and has an accurate cannon of an arm! I have seen too many of these young run and gun type QBs succumb to serious injuries for me to be interested in Mariota.

12. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,855
    Im surprised Frank Reich is getting consideration for these open head coaching jobs around the league. I hope he gets the job. I was not a fan of his game plans on offense this year.

13. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,600
    I also was not that big a fan of the offensive game plan this year. I thought it was going to be a lot better than last year but I'm having a hard time figuring out which I dislike more now.

14. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,855
    I will say, and I knew this going into the 2013 season...Whisenhunt was going to be incredible, and a great asset to the team as an offensive coordinator. But he wasn't going to be around for more than 1 year. I knew the Chargers would have a tough time replacing him, and they did.

So Reich might not have been as bad as it looked, since they were fresh off a season with Whisenhunt calling plays. Not sure if they'd be able to get a coordinator to replace Reich that would be any better, but I wouldn't mind seeing them try.

15. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,600
    I didn't like last years mainly because of the playoff game if I'm being honest.