20lb fluoro too much for drop shot leader?

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by kmooresd85, Apr 11, 2021.

1. kmooresd85

kmooresd85 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Quick question on drop shotting the bay. Is 20lb fluoro too much, or do I need to lighten it up? I’ve caught ok in lighter lines but would like to set up just a bit heavier. I gave it a little bit of a try and I don’t think it’s affecting my bait action too much with soft plastics, but I also got skunked so who knows.

2. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Lord Pitmaster
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,833
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Big Metal One
    8-12lb. I normally fish 10.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. A-Train

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +859
    Name:
    Alex
    Sometimes people catch fat halibut on the dropshot, I prefer to go on the heavy side just in case... personal preference

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,406
    You will catch more spotties on 10 lb. leader than 20 but it is not going to make the difference between catching fish and getting skunked.

What weight are you using? What bait? Where are you fishing? From shore or boat?

I usually use a lead head jig and 3-4" curly tail grub but drop shot can work too. For the bay, I would use 1/4-1/2 ounce sinker, 3-4" grub on an offset hook (Texas hooked), about 12" off the bottom and slowly drag across the bottom (drop swimming), pausing occasionally. And I would rub scent on the bait (I like Smelly Jelly); a Gulp bait would be another possibility. Run the line between your forefinger and thumb when retrieving so you can feel bites better (easier with a baitcaster).

The drop shot bait does not need a lot of action to get bit. Where you fish matters a lot also, the edges between shallow and the channel are usually good. And fish will move around as the tide changes.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  5. ryanhead

ryanhead Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +185
    That seems really heavy, but what's your rationale for using it? Are you fishing heavy weights with braid and a long, stiff rod and worried about breaking off during the shock of casting? Other than that, I think you should go lighter. I landed a 50# bluefin last year on 20# line, seems unnecessary to fish line that heavy in a bay. I fish 4-10#, and 10# is only to withstand the additional force while casting. Most of the time I fish 6#.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. A-Train

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +859
    Name:
    Alex
    Bluefin don’t swim near rocks, docks, structure etc... if you are after numbers , go light sure, but if you don’t want “the one that got away”, go heavier for abrasion factor near structure...If they are biting a big chunk of metal or plastic, don’t think they are even looking at the line IMO... bait is different

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +56,684
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    How many 50#+ angel sharks have you landed in the bays?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. ryanhead

Ratings:
    +185
    That's fair, but bluefin do have teeth. You do make a good point about abrasion. My line does get pretty beat up from spotty teeth and rocks and I do have to retie after every few fish, which can be annoying, especially at night.

I also agree that fish probably don't care about line diameter in low viz bay water, and lure action probably isn't impacted significantly, but when the current is screaming on a good tide swing you'll notice the difference between 10# and 20# line. Just some thoughts.

9. ryanhead

Ratings:
    +185
    How big do those things get? I've pulled up quite a few in lobster nets and they get pretty sizeable.

10. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +56,684
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Buddy caught two the last couple weeks in WR territory, 75-80#

11. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,406
    Great point about heavier line for sharks but if he is using soft plastics on a drop shot, he probably is not fishing for sharks. Or if he is, maybe that's his problem.

12. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +56,684
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I am just saying, a heavier leader isn't going to kill the action of a DS, IMO... It might be the difference between getting something big or toothy in. Especially if you are used to using braid...if someone didn't care about that, they could use 2 lb...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. spicymayo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,053
    if anything, you might lose some sensitivity to feeling what kind of stuff you are dragging your weight and lure through, compared to a lighter line.

14. spicymayo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,053
    but i dont think any fish will be eyeballing 20lb flouro vs 6-10lb and that be the deciding factor on wether to eat your lure or not

15. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,833
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Big Metal One
    Im fishing 40lb braid over 2lb mono. A 8inch can, and will, just break with his teeth. I’d rather fish 40lb braid over that all day. Even fishing rocks. No competition on that one.

16. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,833
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Big Metal One
    A big issue with 20lb flouro and heavier line fishing in general, is that more often then not you will impact the action of the bait. The two rigs that it shows up the most on is a T Rig and a Dropshot. All baits are designed to have a deadstick action. Even full sized 10in weedless baits have some dead stick action. The heavier line you fish, the more that action is limited as the line either wants to curl from memory, or the line wants to lay lay out straight. The more rigid it becomes, the less action your bait will have. A curly tail grub and fluke both have great actions on a deadstick or final twitch as the curl is made of a such a light material, and the fluke is such a light skinny bait. They wobble and jiggle, and paired with a hood pause, it looks like a confused baitfish. That’s easy prey.

A former member on here used to solely fish a dropshot fluke on one part of its action. A single part of its action, and that was a pause. He is also probably the one of the best technique orientated fisherman I’ve met.

17. Mike McTangle

Mike McTangle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +256
    Name:
    Mike
    It all depends on risk v reward. No doubt if you go lighter you will have better action. how much of a difference this makes only the fish know. I tend to go heavier than needed for a couple or reasons. Getting broke off sucks, probably more than getting skunked. I use 15lb blue label on my DS with a 1oz torpedo. I used to use 10 and 12lb. I would loose a weight several times a day just casting it with 10lb and 12lb, with the 15lb I loose less terminal tackle. With 15lb I am not afraid to muscle the fish through some salad on the way in either. I used 6lb on my light setup, mainly ned rigs and Texas rigs set ups for a bit. It was fun but maybe it is just my old eyes, but tying line that small is a pain in the butt.
    I bought a new ocean set up and went to Spanish landing to test it out so I wouldn't look stupid casting it on a boat for the fist time. 65lb braid to a 30# leader 4oz sinker. Fourth (mammoth) cast, tempImageiWMGWo.png a 10 inch spotty bit it. So I am not sure if the leader size matters that much on a curly tail DS.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. spicymayo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,053
    launching a 4oz torpedo from spanish landing shore? did you catch that spotty from under a dock?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,833
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Big Metal One
    That took me a second, nice.

20. Mike McTangle

Mike McTangle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +256
    Name:
    Mike
    I was more than half way there... 8’10” rod. I had to be careful what was in front of me. It was eye opening coming from a 7’6” with a 1 oz.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List