20lb fluoro too much for drop shot leader?

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by kmooresd85, Apr 11, 2021.

1. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,969
    At least you got him in before he chewed thru that 30# leader. Must have been touch and go.

Any incidental damage from that 4 ounce sinker landing on another spotty's head?

Spotties are such a wonderfully cooperative fish, I don't know that even wire would keep them from biting a soft plastic. When I see that people catch fish on Alabama rigs and Tokyo rigs, it seems that line shyness can be over stated.

But you do have better feel with lighter line if you run it between your thumb and forefinger. And it does sink faster than larger diameter line. And it will cast further (assuming it doesn't snap from too heavy of a weight). So for what I do fishing from a float tube, 6-10 lb works real well. From the shore, there are spots where I would want heavier though, just to pull the fish thru the grass or keep it out of the rocks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. A-Train

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +984
    Name:
    Alex
  3. Noms

Noms Dirty taco maker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,473
    Name:
    Angel
    Boat:
    15 gregor tin can
    Only time I use #20 for drop shot is if I'm using 1 1/2 - 2oz for punching thru the wind and current in the main bay. Usually 8-12lb line.
    Edit : if I'm using the heavier dropshot version I run two baits. No 7foot sticks either.

4. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,969
    So last Sunday I was at Lower Otay fishing from my tube, vertical dropshotting in the tules. Didn't get anything at all for the 1st few hours then moved to a section that had some dark openings in the tules. Wound up with 5 that morning, largest about 3 lbs, all on 10 pound test. Didn't have any get tangled in the tules or that I couldn't get out due to the light line but if they start getting much bigger, I may have to go to that 20 lb test.

It seems like they don't know what to do when I get them in the tules. I pull them up to the surface right away and drag them over the floating tules. Not until they get to open water do they start fighting and then they try to swim to deeper water.

The key was putting the drop shot in a hole where the sun doesn't shine (sounds wrong, I know). The worm was rigged weedless with an offset hook.