3.21 Otay, giant blessing...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by otay michael, Mar 23, 2018.

1. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,532
    Well, went to Otay on Wed. and launched at around 9, tons of trailers in the lot. Nice overcast conditions, no wind, and went to the trusty jerkbait, which got me 46 last week here, but after an hour left me scratching my head, nada. Then I went to a crankbait, (thanks Winstondry for loaning my this lure at Miramar, it was a God-send this day) and soon got the first of 26 nice bass for the day. Not all on that lure, I got one on a spoon and a bunch on other type cranks. :/).

2lbr_10.35_243.jpg

MikeWade_220.jpg

Mike got a dozen, but lost three times that amount with them throwing his lure,
    really unlucky. I only had one throw it, but that was even more unlucky in a way,
    as you'll soon read.

3.5lbr_6.25_238.jpg

Nicer model this day over the past few weeks, lower number, but bigger fish. Fine with me.
    Even saw a 'froggy looking spot', tossed on on it, and whammo, first frog fish of the
    year, but 'no sticky'. Soon.

3lbr_5.59_211.jpg

Speaking of spoons, my buddy Tom showed up noonish and saw them on his graph chowing down on a bait ball and got on his boat for a better looksey on how to target them, I've only used mine for depth and gps really, don't do a lot of ice jigs, spoons, etc., but he was getting into them pretty good, mostly dinks with a nicer model here and there.

I got one in short order, once I put on a larger crocodile spoon I'd had for years but never used that is. The next cast I got another in short order, and as she reached the top, as I was horsing her in, she threw the lure, which being so heavy (must be an ounce at least) shot behind me like a bullet. It then slingshot forward,then back in a split second, hitting me square in my left eyeball. Instantly I cried out in pain and astonishment, as both Mike, my backseater, and Tom asked if was ok. I did not know, for all I new the lure might have stuck the treble in it, as I'd just honed it to fantastic sharpness moments earlier. I prayed before feeling to see if it was stuck in my eye, that it wouldn't be, yet already wondering what going to the hospital with a lure in an eyeball would be like, the prospect horrified me! And simultaneously, I was praying to the Lord that the lure had not stuck my eye.

SpoonFishTom_1.18_238.jpg
    My friend Tom in the background, I'd just got off his boat and got back on mine.
    This large metal soon would soon hit me in the eye at warp speed!!! Oh my.

Eyeball_1.32_138.jpg
    About 10 minutes after the accident, self portrait of the eye, to see if I could see damage.

I felt around and did not feel the lure in it (of course, the eyelid was closed from the pain inflicted on it too, and in this same split second after getting hit), and I put my finger on the fluids already pouring from under my eyelid for color. Did not see red, that was a good sign, as I figured the lure could have torn my eye too (it still might be somewhat, the wife is afraid to look). Went to the back of the boat and asked Mike to take a look, and somehow got the eyelid open enough for him to look. He said he did not see any blood!!!! Thank You LORD! But it was tearing to no end, and did all afternoon, making casting difficult as I basically only had one eye, so no depth perception. Driving was weird at night, as the tearing made everything streaky, taillights wise, and headlight hurt (bright light).

MikeWade2_245.jpg

But I fished another 7 hours, and I got a nice sunset shot, still getting nicer models two, about twice the size (two pounder average instead of ones) over the week before.

Water was 65, air about 75, was soooo nice out there. And minus the eyeball ordeal, was one of the nicest days I've ever had on the water. What a blessing some believer friends called me too, and prayed for my eye to recover quickly while I fished. My buddy/backseater Mike asked on the way home, did you have your sunglasses on? And in fact they usually are, but I took them off to tie on the spoon moments earlier and forgot to put them back on.

Pano6.58_464.jpg
    Such a pretty lake, so blessed to have fished it for over 50 years now.

PS
    The pain is less today (it's night now), and I see double in the fact anything I look at has a halo on it.. nothing is sharp. I'm continuing to pray for complete healing, and believe my awesome God will hear my prayers, in the affirmative. Moral of the story, wear some sort of glasses, sunglasses at all times on the water. I'm sure if I had, I'd only have a broken lens instead of a half-broken eyeball.

2. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,750
    Boat:
    Yes
    OH MY GOSH!!! So glad the hooks did not hit your eye Michael!!! :emoji_anguished: WHEW!! With the bright lights hurting, you may have a scratch. You should wear a patch for a few days to help it heal faster. Thanks for the report and pics, even as you are suffering in pain. Take care of that eye, you only have two, right? :emoji_wink:
    Seriously, very happy you are OK.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. Fishbreath

Fishbreath Fishing tales told here....some true.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,476
    You will want to get that eye checked out just to make sure. If their is a scratch or if the retina is detached or torn, it is much better to deal with it early. Look for flashes of light, for a lot of new floaters, or for darkening of your peripheral vision. Thanks for the report. Another great day.

#3 Fishbreath, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. fishwhisperer619

fishwhisperer619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78
    Wow, nice detailed report! Sorry about the eye, but like RamonaAngler said, maybe wearing a patch would help....besided, you would look like a cool freshwater pirate! :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  5. Winstondry

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +411
    Boat:
    Ranger Z520L
    Whoa, glad the eye is ok, it could've been so much worse! Happy you were able to get some with the lure I gave you, I have some others I need to get to you, that and your net too!

6. Hamachitoo

Hamachitoo Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Get that looked at Michael! Didn't we have a conversation about ALWAYS having glasses on while fishing? I have a bunch of spoons for you if you want. lemme know.

7. JJbasser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,854
    sweet! (not the eye thing) :) nice bass. I was so close to throwing a crank. thanks for the tip.
    nobody says hi anymore> :( :)

8. Tom_74

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +692
    So sorry to hear about the eye, prayers for you my brother for a complete healing.
    Thanks for the report, keep us updated on the eye.

9. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,532
    Thanks for the prayers Folks. They definitely worked.

You guys talked me into it. At Opthamologist. Answered prayer, He can’t believe the lack of damage to My eye when he saw the size of the lure and heard what happened. He liked the size of the fish too :) Still in examination mode.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,532
    Yeah the lack of net cost us a couple of fish,as you have to be careful grabbing Bass with trebles in their mouth’s, I’ve had a few end up with hooks deep in hand or fingers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Winstondry

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +411
    Boat:
    Ranger Z520L
    I'll keep your net in the back of my truck so next time we're in the vicinity of each other, I can give it to you. I have my own, I just forgot it last Saturday when we launched at Miramar.

12. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,995
    Boat:
    It floats
    I know guys who got hit in the eye with a swivel, leadering fish. One saved his eye by keeping it shut/no light for a week, the other's boss made him keep working and he lost sight in his eye

13. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,995
    Boat:
    It floats
    I was out there that day in my tube, it was an awesome day fishing. I need to meet all you guys! haha

14. TheBassinPanda

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,826
    Boat:
    I wish
    Awesome job out there. I figured the bass went deep when i was there but alas, in the rental with no eletronics and trolling motor to find em.

Hope the eye heals quickly!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +15,053
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    otay michael don't need no stinking net! He just swings 'em into the boat!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. diegofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,253
    Way to keep your eye on the prize.
    I think you'd look super cool with a patch OM.
    Could you imagine OM holding up a 10lb frog fish with an eye patch. That's art!! lol
    I'm glad you're ok OM, Thats a big reason why I wear my shades as much as possible.

17. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,995
    Boat:
    It floats
    I have a couple hand operated trolling motors both minkota I believe. I may let one go if interested. Good for days like that or Barrett

18. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,687
    Great day for sure. Heal up quickly!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,768
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Nothing better than prayers answered!

20. icaughtacold

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +289
    Boat:
    NuCanoe Pursuit
    Geeze, it always seems to happen right after the glasses come off. Never fails. How deep does that crank run? Looks like a bomber?