3/28-Otay

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by VinnyBass, Mar 28, 2021.

1. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,827
    I usually pack everything I think I will need in my kayak the night before and already know where I will be fishing. Well....it was now Sunday morning and I still unsure on where I really wanted to go so I wrote down 4 lakes(yes Murray was one of them sadly) on 4 little pieces of paper. I picked out Otay out of my Ranger hat, took my last sip of coffee and off I went.
    I knew it may be tough because of the full moon, but going fishing is always better than staying home. I worked the tulles with a Tokyo rig for a bit and picked up a small bass finally. There was lots of algae and on almost every flip I have to remove algae from the bait. I worked a few areas in Otay arm and caught another small bass. Then I flipped into an opening that looked pretty clear and bang.....I pulled out a nicer bass on a Rage Craw. I worked the tulles hard and lost two small bass. The algae thing was getting annoying so I tossed a few plastics out into deeper water 15-20 and pulled in four more small bass. I think if I just threw a drop shot with a MM worm parallel to the tulles or towards the tulles all morning I could have caught more bass.
    Anyway, I decided to hit some more tulles on the way back to my truck. Well another small bass wrapped me up on some tulles near the top of the water and came unbuttoned and that was my calling to head back home. I worked hard and ended up landing 7 bass with 6 of them being very small. I had hoped to catch more like the one on the craw bait....but it did not happen.

Still a fun day in the sun fishing. :)

3:28 otay.PNG
    3:28 otay 2.PNG
    and my "Dink of the day" on a 8" worm....
    3:28 dink otay.PNG

#1 VinnyBass, Mar 28, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +56,654
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Getting on them despite... Nice work

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,827
    With the full moon, I did not know what to expect and if I could just catch one or two I’d be happy.
    Small bass were better than no bass at all. I was pretty exhausted when I got home...its lots of work
    for me to go fishing...ha ha
    The weirdest thing of the day was a guy in a ocean boat flying across the lake with a bunch of kids screaming in it and where he ended up. The boat turned into the cove after slowing down finally and went straight over towards the fishing pier. He went to the right side and docked his boat as people scrambled to move their fishing rods(all this happening with the kids still screaming). This was not a small boat and I should at least took some pictures of it because it just looked really weird and something you probably never see again the rest of your life... ha ha Maybe the full moon had an affect on the driver? :)

#3 VinnyBass, Mar 29, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  4. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,756
    Boat:
    Yes
    Nice day for you Vinny! Glad you found them. The full moon apparently was much brighter at Sutherland than at Otay. :emoji_confounded: Thanks for the report and pics. See you out there soon. Heading to San V with my buddy this Thursday.

5. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,827
    Good luck out at San V on Thursday. I hope you and your buddy do well! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,756
    Boat:
    Yes
    Thanks Vinny. Warmer weather this week should help turn them on....I think...I hope....tight lines my friend!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List