1. Spotted bay bass SDFISH shirts available to order

We're doing another run of the popular Spotted Bay Bass SDFISH shirts, with a couple of additional colors this time. Available on short sleeves, long sleeves, or UPF 50+ rated fishing shirts.

Order Now

Dismiss Notice

3/4 Day Liberty 3/18

Discussion in 'Sport boats' started by Carterantebi, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Carterantebi

Carterantebi Captain of the Cays
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,843
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    Guess who remembered my passport this time? Decided to go on the Liberty with my dad yesterday after hearing they were doing their first 3/4 day of the year. We hit the islands and it was super foggy early morning and slowly dissipated by 1pm. When we arrived, we were greeted by a large school of both yellows and bones boiling on some chovies. On our way out, I found my reel was locking up and Paul the deckhand (awesome guy btw) ran up to the wheelhouse and got me set up with a torium/teramar. Man, that teramar was light! The whole time we heard plenty of hoots and hollers coming from the San Diego. Lost a couple yellow and had a bonito pop off at the boat. The bones were crazy and were following my bait right to my feet as I would reel in to change dines. Good size too. Water was warm and really glassy. Around lunch time we went for some rockfish in about 300 feet of water for easy WFO limits, largest for me being well over 5lb. Gotta have a reel with a super high ratio or you're gonna be cranking for centuries. 1.5 lbs of lead was the trick and got me down in seconds. Get out there guys, it's really fishy out at the islands right now, just give it a little time. Kinda bummed all my pelagics were farmed. As always, I can't say enough about the Liberty. Taro is constantly trying his absolute best to get us on the fish, absolutely no sitting around. Can't wait to pinhead on that boat this summer! IMG_0253.JPG IMG_0261.JPG IMG_0264.JPG IMG_0272.JPG IMG_0271.JPG

#1 Carterantebi, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  2. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,843
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    On a side note, saw some crazy private boaters out there in tiny little boats, including some guys from Mexico in a little 12ft rowboat. Who needs an outboard these days? Also, if you're a ginger and have no soul like me, bring some sunscreen. Seriously! IMG_0273.JPG

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,005
    Boat:
    3 too many
    As a guy with stage two melanomas largely earned in the tropics as a teen, I say lose the sunscreen and cover your happy carcass.. Sucks on the pelagics, though I prefer bonito over yt taste wise... Thanks for the thought t out report

4. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,843
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    I need to just get one of those neck things. Usually I've got my handy dandy straw hat, but some kook put a suitcase on it last trip I had with church. image.jpg

5. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,005
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Need me to bring a couple to shore pounders for you?

6. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,843
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    Nah it's alright, I just need to go buy another one. Thanks for the offer though.

7. Larry M

Larry M Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,439
    Name:
    Larry M
    Sunburns are no joke, even if you don't get one the sun is a killer. I've had surgery all over my body to remove skin cancer, inside of my ear had to be rebuild with skin Graf. Last week I had surgery on my cheek, stitches coming out this Friday.
    See your doctor at least once a year for a skin cancer check, catch it early to stop it.
    Carterantebi, don't mean to scare you, but listen to your elders. lol

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,843
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    Definitely runs in the family for me. If you ever see someone with pink or silver zinc all over my face, it's probably me. Like I said, I wear a big hat a lot which helps tremendously, and I'm really glad I discovered Zinka nosecoat a year or two ago thanks to a friend who works for them now. I have a feeling skin cancer is gonna be unavoidable for me unfortunately. Maybe a year ago I noticed a big spot on my shoulder and hairline. Got them checked out and luckily they were just really weird freckle things. They removed them anyways just in case.

9. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,374
    I've seen my father and grandfather have enough basal and squamous cells cut off to frighten me away from spending too much time in the sun. I usually fish with a long sleeve shirt, and I apply both sunscreen and wear a UV mask to cover my neck and face.

And don't forget to put sunscreen inside of your ear, which is a spot most people forget to apply it. My father, like @Larry M, also had to have a skin graft on the inside of his ear thanks to skin cancer.

With that said... nice fish!