3/4 Sea Watch YellowTails Action - 8/19/2017

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by kyle12345, Aug 20, 2017.

1. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,153
    Name:
    Kyle
    Went out on the Sea Watch for a 3/4 day trip (wife's work related event). Fantastic day! The captain and crew were extremely helpful and patient with a lot of newbies, very well done. I must also comment on how well everyone on our boat worked together once we got a hang of things, made a difference.

As usual, my wife out-fished me and ended up getting the largest fish on the boat. We both got 3 Yellowtail (YT) for a total of 6. Needless to say we were both ecstatic. The bite was pretty solid throughout the day and I suspect more experienced salts would've done even better to be honest. Wow these YTs sure can fight, what a blast.

The day started out with us driving for some time and trolling which was basically uneventful, but once we got on the YT's it as wham. The action came in droves as I suspect the schools of fish would come though. When they were there it was multiple hook-ups. A lot of the action seemed to be in the stern or back of the boat, but I myself kept to the front to avoid the melee and still seemed to do alright.

I want to thank each and everyone for their help on my previous questions, it made a huge difference here and I recommend any new people to use this site as a resource. The key to being successful was paying close attention to details and listening to the deck hands.

Details/Hints:
    1. I caught 1 YT fly-lining and 2 YT on a dropper loop, it seemed the droppers was the way to go. Rig had to be on the bottom it is tricky while drifting
    2. Live-bait seemed to out-perform artificial (I threw a Colt Sniper for maybe 30 min-1 hr with no luck then switched)
    3. Live-bait- The liveliest bait was best, look for bait that does not have discoloration, limited missing scales, no blood, no red nose, and swam well. When I gently held the bait in my hand I made sure it wiggled real strong. When I dropped it in the water I felt my line to be sure it was moving around. Finally, whilst fly-lining it I attempted to make it swim out as best as I could away from the boat.
    4. Size of bait, I picked bait about the size of my Colt Sniper (as pictured below), also while watching the fish being filletted, this was the size of the bait falling out of their stomachs. I avoided the really big baits, but that's just me.
    5. Follow your bait
    6. Some pointers for new folks- follow your fish, reel hard, keep the lines tight, keep fish in the water while its being gaffed, listen to the deckhands!- I was luck to not lose one fish

Bit of a long write-up and perhaps common sense for you old salts out there, but I figured in case it helps out I would include these details.

IMG_7615.jpg

IMG_7618.jpg

#1 kyle12345, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  2. Rook

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +933
    Well done! Thanks for the report

3. galen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,156
    Boat:
    15 ft Saturn raft
    Nothing wrong with fishing the bow, tangles in the stern are inevitable when the action really picks up. Sea Watch out of Helgren's right? Were you inshore or fishing paddys?

4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,456
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Very nice writeup. . well said! Glad you had a good run

#4 Werfless, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  5. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,153
    Name:
    Kyle
    Honestly I do not know where we went, I can tell you we went south and that I did not ever see kelp. It was out of the Seaforth Sportfishing Landing, so perhaps give them a call and see where they may be going? The crew was fantastic and very patient with basically a ship of folks mostly new to saltwater fishing. If it were a group of old salts the count may have been higher, but hey everyone has to start somewhere right.

6. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,153
    Name:
    Kyle
    I would also like to add that some of these fish were caught using 40 lb test, as my wife's rental got "borrowed", so I had to re-rig one of mine for live bait (thankfully brought two rods). The other was 25 lbs, both mono and no breakoffs using the San Diego knot.

7. kobra

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +899
    Nice write up. Glad you and the wife had a good trip. Sounds like you have a good handle on the basics. Keep up the good work.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,152
    Nice report thanks for adding in all the extras it all helps.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,153
    Name:
    Kyle
    Gotta quick 2 questions please that came up during the trip out and I do not know the edicate.
    1. While fishing dropper loop if the bait starts swimming sideways and not out, do I just reel it up and change the bait or follow the bait (I did the former on my last trip trying to not tangle people).
    2. Is it more important on a dropper to get the bait down fast with a heavier weight or use a lighter weight, I had 3 oz torpedos, and part of me wished i had 4 or 5, would those have been better, I felt like my bait swam sideways often.

Thank you, sorry for asking on this forum, but figured these details as well might help a newbie like myself..

10. galen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,156
    Boat:
    15 ft Saturn raft
    My bad, I was thinking of the Sea Trek out of Oceanside.