3 perch, 1 corbina and something big that spooled me

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by tdmorrison03, Sep 14, 2019.

1. tdmorrison03

tdmorrison03 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51
    I went to Cardiff beach about 1/4 mile south of Pacific Coast Grill at around 10 am. I fished for 2 hours and I caught 3 surf perch and 1 small corbina. When I was about to finish up at around 11:30 I hooked up to something big. It started pulling drag like crazy and then I ran out of line and I got spooled. I'm thinking that it probably was some type of ray or shark. Everything was caught using sand fleas on a Carolina rig with 3/4 oz of weight. I cast it out into the surf and then reeled in the slack whenever a wave pushed it along the bottom.
    Conditions for surf fishing are good right now. The water is warm and clear and sand fleas are everywhere. The waves are also managable.

2. Fritzy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,186
    Sand crabs! Too bad you lost the big one! What pound test line are you using?

3. tdmorrison03

Ratings:
    +51
    It was 12 pound line on my bass rod.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. spideyjg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,914
    Read the regs. That is in the Swamis SMCA and no take for sand crabs.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=98223&inline

"Only the following take is allowed in Swami’s SMCA:1.Recreational take by hook-and-line from shore.2.The recreational take by spearfishing of white seabass and pelagic finfish.3.Take pursuant to beach nourishment and other sediment management activities and operation and maintenance of artificial structures inside the conservation area is allowed per any required federal, state and local permits, or as otherwise authorized by the department."

5. Dry Fly Rie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +520

Yep. I fished Cardiff a half-dozen times this summer and every time I was there, I saw multiple people digging up sandcrabs and using them. I always gathered my crabs somewhere else and brought them to Cardiff.

About a week ago, my dad was fishing there, and he got checked by 2 DFG officers (first time he's had his license checked in over 50 years on the sand). They specifically told him he can't collect and use crabs from that beach.

Be aware when you go....

6. sozofish

sozofish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Fished in front of Las Olas early this morning. 1 corbina and 2 short halibut on 2” Camo sand worm. Saw some big corbina in the skinny but no takers close in. 4 guys spread out on a 1/2 mile of beach. A kid with a boogie board gets in the water less than a rod length away from me. I turned to his dad standing on the sand and asked if he was kidding me. He told me I should buy my own beach. So the current took the grom north and I proceeded to pull out a 14” halibut. Hope the kid gets a mentor who can teach a little respect. And it was a beautiful sunrise under the fog bank.

7. tdmorrison03

Ratings:
    +51
    Thanks for letting me know. I had no idea that it was illegal. I'll be getting them from another beach next time.

8. tdmorrison03

Ratings:
    +51
    No way. I saw that same kid this morning too at the beach. He ran right over me and my friend's lines! I asked him to move because we were there first and he was disrupting our fishing but the dad just told me to "get over it". Eventually he left and my friend ended up catching his PB spotfin.

9. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,184
    That kid seems to be bringing luck. I wonder if you tell the kid to "get over it" if he accidentally got hooked if the father will start a scene.

tdmorrison03 I bet you had a shovel nose. I've caught those using sandcrabs on a c-rig a number of times and they will take a lot of line. Some can be 3-4'.

10. Pinoyfisher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +755
    Name:
    Mike
    How can you prove you got the sand crabs from another beach?

11. Dry Fly Rie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +520
    In a perfect world, DFG would have no reason to hassle you if they didn't actually see you scooping up crabs on the beach where it wasn't allowed. That would be my first (respectful) approach. If they ask where I got them, I'd tell them from a different beach and if they said prove it, I'd ask them (politely and respectfully) to prove that I took them from a prohibited beach. I have no idea if this would actually work or what kind of response it would get from a warden.

Plan B for me is that I take a video and some pictures of me catching the crabs at the different beach, making sure I show something in the background that's unmistakable for location. Then I can show the warden, the time and date-stamped evidence of me collecting bait. Again, I have no idea if this would be sufficient, but I feel like it should be.

Finally, the easiest way to prove you didn't take any crabs off a prohibited beach is if they were frozen/cooked and appear pink in color and are clearly dead and not from that day/location.

As I said, I've never been questioned when I bring crabs from a different beach. But when my dad got checked by the wardens last time at Cardiff, they simply informed him that he couldn't dig up crabs on that beach. He told them he knew the regs and had collected his crabs at a different beach. They didn't ask where or how many he had, and didn't even look in his bait can on his belt. They just asked how the fishing was and moved on.

12. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,184
    What if you said you didn't dig them up, you scooped them out of the water?
    Silly if you ask me that one beach you can dig them up, another you can't. Years ago I told my dad about the sand crabs. Neither of us grew up here, so it was new to us. Took him down to La Jolla shores and we went ahead and collected a bunch for our next outing. No idea if allowed or not.

13. Pinoyfisher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +755
    Name:
    Mike
    Was just wondering how one proves that. Cooking them is definitely a good way, but not sure how effective they'd be as bait afterwards. I just don't bother with them and not put myself in that situation. There's some real dickhead wardens out there! I just bring market shrimp.

14. Pinoyfisher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +755
    Name:
    Mike
    Was just wondering how one proves that. Cooking them is definitely a good way, but not sure how effective they'd be as bait afterwards. I just don't bother with them and not put myself in that situation. There's some real dickhead wardens out there! I just bring market shrimp.

15. special k

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +494
    Name:
    stan
    Boat:
    aluminum
    THAT'S CALIFORNIA FOR YOU!!!! IT'S JUST A FREAKING SAN CRAB..........

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,184
    I don't think that's the reason - I think it is banning the activity of doing that - but makes no sense if allowed to fish. Its like that up in Laguna Beach - I remember reading a sign on the beach, can't fish, can't surf, can't boogie-board, there was very left to do except walk. I think the residents have a big say on what is allowed if they have the $$.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. C-takagi

C-takagi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +190
    Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    i wish
    the residents only have say past the mean high tide line. below the mean high tide line is public property, and so only the govt can regulate activities, according to California Costal Act of 1976: Article 2 Section 3012 and Article 3 section 30220

18. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,184
    Right - and those with $$$ can be an influence to the local govt who has some say in those regulations.

#18 old_rookie, Sep 21, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019