4/14 Chubasco 2 Rock Fishing

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by Delorian, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Delorian

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,029
    Name:
    Chris
    Went out this last Sunday with my dad to put him on some easy fish. Captain Tiny and the Chubasco 2 had been putting up some nice numbers so felt good about it. I wanted to try out a new boat since I normally go all the way down to San Diego usually for the Premier. This would be nice since it's 10 minutes away just up in Oceanside and rockfish are rockfish.

Got there a little early at 5:30 but good thing since the small tunnel for parking was blocked. Had to drive out of the harbor and in the back side of the parking lot. No big deal. Free easy parking.

Check in was easy and low key. Once we boarded I posted up in the galley and had some coffee with my dad while the others showed up.

When we were underway I chatted up the deckhand Caiden to see what the plan was. Good guy. We were going to motor out to Box Canyon. They had been getting some good sculpin too so a mixed bag was the hope.

IMG_7187.JPG

I like this setup. Instead of having to hose your fish off it keeps them chilled.

IMG_7188.JPG

IMG_7190.JPG

Passed the bait trawler offloading for the day. Killer we have that all the way up here too.

IMG_7191.JPG

Rigged up as we got out of the harbor. Took about 30-40 minutes to get to the first spot. I dropped my old Penn 309 with 30# rigged with a cheapo 1oz bucktail and a 1.5oz soft taco octopus from Charkbait. Tipped both with Fishbites squid strips. Tiny laughed and said I should put some squid on. Well we pretty quickly got on to some sculpin. Several people started pulling up shorts for next year. I landed 3 real nice ones and my dad got one as well (209 with 25# and the same Fishbites). Nacho came out of the galley and helped pull the sculpins off for everyone. It was a slower pick so Tiny had us pull it in after a little while. He conceded maybe the Fishbites did work afterall since most everyone else were pulling shorts. I'm convinced if I had 15 more minutes I would have limited my sculpin bite ha. Oh well, on to the next spot.

We motored for another 15-20 and he put us on another rock pile. There, rockfish started coming over the rail. Mostly some smaller ones, a few decents and some nuggets. I continued to drop bigger jigs since I wanted to weed out the nuggets. We hit that spot for a while and I pulled up a sandab. We moved after a bit and tried another rock. Same deal there. Pulled anchor and headed back in.

All in all a pretty good day. Not limits for everyone but I think everyone got fish. It was nice putting my dad on a good bag since the last time we went out he threw a big zero.

I brought in 3 legal sculpin and a sandab
    He got 1 sculpin, 10 rockfish, and a sandab

Fish were hitting everything but bigger jigs kept out the small fare. I could have filled a limit of rockfish if I pinned smaller hooks but no sense in killing more than I can eat for a while. My dad got enough for both of us. You REALLY needed 8-14 ounces of lead fishing 2-300ft. Takes a full minute to even hit bottom.

IMG_7196.JPG

IMG_7198.JPG

Nacho and Caiden making short work of the fish. Just had him gut and gill the nuggets.

IMG_7199.JPG

Didn't crush the numbers but I had a great time and a bunch of taco fare. Low key boat with a chill crew. Thanks Cpt Tiny, Caiden and Nacho.

Super close to boot. I'd recommend it. I'm curious to see how they do when the mossbacks roll in or if I'll still need to go down to San Diego.

Tight lines.

#1 Delorian, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  2. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,412
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Any decent pop tarts?

3. Delorian

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,029
    Name:
    Chris
    I'll confess ignorance. What fish is a poptart? Sculpin?

4. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,412
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Sand dab

5. Delorian

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,029
    Name:
    Chris
    Ah. Cleaned the two. I think they’re OK sized but I also think they get a little bigger. Never caught or eaten one before.

DFDE5AA4-84C0-47BC-A825-A2058555963B.jpeg

6. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,601
    I miss that boat, used to be my goto 3/4 until they left San Diego.

7. galen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,122
    Boat:
    15 ft Saturn raft
    Yum, po’ boy sandwich right there!

8. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,412
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    They are buttery and firm at the same time... not like a red firm but they are definitely meaty.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Yella1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,541
    Thanks for the report. Yeah, I love the Chub II. Awesome, chill boat and crew. Rode them several times when the jumbo bonito were cruising in north county last year. Damn that deck was BLOODY!

I live in Oceanside, and it's SO convenient to get in and out of that harbor. Wish they made Coronado Islands trips, but it seems a little out of their range for a 3/4 day trip. I'd gladly pay a fuel surcharge for the convenience of leaving out of such a laid back harbor for a trip to the islands. Tight lines, dude.

10. Bassnbeans

Bassnbeans Fishical Therapist
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,827
    I like the Chubby. I've been out with a couple of times and they get on fish. Might not be the biggest but they will get you a bag going. Caiden is a real good guy, and Koa, one of their junior pinheads is a pretty cool kid. I'm looking forward to my next trip out with them.

We should try to get together enough SDfish folks for a charter with them! That would be a blast!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Yella1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,541
    Sounds fun, count me in (depending upon date). However, their half day open party trips are only $48 and they are rarely crowded. Might just be fun to coordinate a day to all go on an open party trip. Might be cheaper that way and still super fun. I'm down for whatever.

12. Delorian

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,029
    Name:
    Chris
    I’m down. May need to get more family Karma first before I go out on another fishing trip ha.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Yella1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,541
    I hear you. Just let us know when you become available and we can try to set something up.:emoji_thumbsup:

14. ColdEye

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +357
    Might try this on the weekend. Looks like a decent haul.

15. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,220
    Count me in, just not this weekend ...

16. Bassnbeans

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,827
    Awesome! Let’s do it!

Who is available on weekdays? Let me know, and what kind of lead time you need for that. Also, let me know if weekdays are impossible. A weekend trip might need to be booked out a little further and might be more full. I feel like if 75% can make a weekday, let’s do that. Bring the kiddos guys, the crew is awesome with the little ones. I’ll pull mine from school!

North County SDFish takeover! Chubby pounders! LOL!

17. Yella1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,541
    I totally agree! I'm all about weekday fishing, when possible. I'm available on SOME weekdays and SOME weekends, generally. Not a consistent thing for me, so just let us know what dates are good for you and we can chime in with our availability.

For example, I'm available on Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday next week, but it might be busier because lots of schools have spring break around Easter. I'm also available Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of the following week (4/29, 4/30, 5/1). I won't be free on a weekend day until May 4 or 5.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Delorian

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,029
    Name:
    Chris
    Wish I could but I think they run cheapo tickets in Tuesday’s.

19. Bassnbeans

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,827
    I don't think they run discount Tuesdays. Dana does. Keep your eyes on Groupon for occasional deals for the Chubby. We bought a couple last year $55 for two people 1/2 day.

Guys, keep posting up preferences for weekday or weekend. I'm happy to take a vacation day off to go on a weekday. Less crowded, leaves dock at 10am, and they stay out a full 6 hours with no pressure to get back. If its going to be a weekend, we should book out a little and try to stack the deck with SDFish anglers! I'de love to fish with a few of you guys.

20. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,220
    I can do weekdays, with at least 1week lead time, after May.