5/12 Barret on the Fly with Pics

Discussion in 'Barrett Reports' started by UCangler, May 14, 2018.

1. UCangler

UCangler Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115
    4th year in a row for Barrett. Me and a buddy took a boat to the Pine side before sunrise. Paddled into one the first coves and set the anchor. Didn't know what to expect and from reports, i wasnt expecting them to be chasing all the way to the boat or hitting crazy top water like the past years. We noticed that the shad were balled under our boat and some forced near the shore being crashed on by bass. Made sense to start with a bait fish fly, so I started with the an EP Shad fly I tied and hit boil balls. Casted into the boils, strip a few times, lift and cast right back in the boils, repeat. I did not see any chase my fly all the way to the boat, so there was not need to strip the fly all the way in. Hooked one in the boil and hooked up with my PB presenting the fly near structure. I saw it come out of hiding and commit.
    We continued to make our way up the Pine arm hitting up small coves and noticed the bait ball below us being attacked by small crappie schools 5 to 7 inches long. Eventually, either we left the shad territory or they decided to move from us, so they disappeared from under our boat. The game for us on the fly was basically presenting our fly in as many potential bass hideouts as possible. No retrieve back to the boat needed, 2 years ago was the lowest we have seen Barrett. At that time there were no Pine Arm or Hauser Arm, so concentration of bass was super high, they would chase back to the boat, and it was easy to connect which also lead to disease and sores (remember?). This year, following last years increase in rain and gaining the 2 arms combined with death of the weak/or culled, in my opinion they are just spread out and each bass has enough food and territory do what bass do by nature. They seek out a good lay, hide, and they ambush. For us that was the name of the game. Presentation was key and seeking them out where they sat and ambushed was how we would catch them, no more them coming to our presentation like the past.
    For every small cove we went in, I would systematically cast into every spot that looked fishy either clockwise or counter clockwise, so i wouldnt miss any places. Cast to some shore/structure, strip in the fly about 4ft to 6ft, if it didnt come out of the spot after a couple then it was a lift then cast 2 ft to the next structure, then the next, then the next, repeat. Eventually, I would put it in a good hiding spot, see a flash or see it hit, strip set and it would be fish on. We did that the whole day seek out and catch. Eventually after the day, we returned our boat and decided to mess around on the shore near the boat ramp. My buddy landed his PB which was about 5 pounds.

A few things to note for us:

1) All fish were caught on a floating line in no more that 3 to 4 ft of water. Most were caught in 2 ft or less just in great hiding spots.
    2) Floating line is key, you work your fly over all the vegetation.
    3) Woolybugger and the EP shad fly I tied were all we used.
    4) We caught big bass, healthy, heavy, guys.
    5) It was good to see baby bass.

Total was 16 on the fly. Cheers.
    IMG_20180514_075223_905.jpg IMG_20180512_192659_828.jpg IMG_20180513_211313_863.jpg IMG_20180512_193058_247.jpg IMG_20180512_202458_285.jpg

2. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,311
    I think we talked to you in the evening? We were the 3 tubers who docked our boat then jumped back in to kick and fish towards Pigs. We saw your buddy catch his PB.. that was a Beauty. We talked a little about the flies you were using and in those few minutes you guys landed a few bass and some gills. Nice work and cool post!

Toolbox

3. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,046
    Outstanding show on the fly gents. Got me so excited I almost started looking for a fly setup. Almost.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. UCangler

Ratings:
    +115
    Yup that us. Good to see you guys!

5. John S.

John S. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +249
    New to this board. You guys fish a 6 weight? Nice job on that shad. I like that pattern. Bass on the fly is fun. I fly fish everything from trout to Yellowtail. Love fishing the Calicos on the fly. Tied a bunch of clousers for Calicos and anything else that wants to take a whack at them. Will post when things start to go.

John

6. UCangler

Ratings:
    +115
    I bring both a 6wt and 8wt for bass. It's more the fly im casting. So the 6 wt i can put a low fat minnow fly and the 8wt a big EP or dahlberg diver, etc. My PB was on the 6wt, super fun.

7. The Bui

The Bui Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69
    Nice meeting ya'll and chatting in the early AM (12ish). Looks like a great day on the fly!

8. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,856
    Great report. Its refreshing to see an angler with a reasonable understanding of the tough conditions out there this year. Props!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. AssassinJR

AssassinJR Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Great Report! Thanks for the info.

10. AssassinJR

AssassinJR Member

Ratings:
    +10
    What is your Calico set up if you don't mind me asking? sinking or floating line? Im a trout fisherman who's trying to expand his horizons. Thanks, any info would be great!

11. John S.

John S. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +249
    Sorry. Did not see this until now. I don't want to hijack this guy's post so send me an email to pescadoboy@hotmail.com and I will dope you in.

John

12. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,187
    Nicely done, and thanks for the report. Especially the techniques you used, and reasoning behind it. Very informative.

13. sdfishtroll

sdfishtroll Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101
    EXCELLANT FLY TYING SKILLS!!

14. born2fish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +106
    Thanks for the strike zone details. Nice accessment ability. Did you use any zonkers? Will be there with flyrod in hand Sunday. Been flyfishing out there since 1994. Flies will catch something. Watch out for those catfish. Got one a couple years ago.

15. Rude Baits

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +619
    That fly looks epic!

16. UCangler

Ratings:
    +115
    Thanks troll.

17. UCangler

Ratings:
    +115
    I did not use any zonkers.

Actually just woolybugger, shad EP fly, and a low fat minnow in Shad

18. Bulkhead

Bulkhead Member

Ratings:
    +1
    What weight fly rods do you guys use at Barrett?

I usually fish a 5wt, but someone suggested I go with something beefier. I have an 8 and am planning to bring it.

I was interested to read that you used a floating line UCangler...

I've had success using floating, but again, I was encouraged to get the fly down at Barrett, so was considering using a versatip sinking leader.

Help - I'm conflicted!!

Great work and really nice write up!

B

19. Capt Ray

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,491
    Name:
    Ray
    Takes allot of skill to do that well on a fly when things are tough. That fly looks amazing, well done.

20. born2fish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +106
    Hey bulkhead - I use various sinking line systems because 90% of my catching is subsurface and I sit low in a float tube so I can't sight fish. I was out on the 25th for a special event and I found them further off shore. If they were shallower then maybe use the floating line with both a surface pattern and also try a beadhead weighted fly. There might be more surface action when the weather gets hotter. Then notice if there is any surface activity in the shaded water. I have heard that some are using the Crowley Lake method of dangling small flies from strike indicators. Don't know what flies are used in that style.

I use a 6 wt and an 8 wt, especially when the bass are biting better to throw big flies in the wind and get down deeper. It is just tough catching big bass this year. Got several baby bass, but the bluegill are willing. Waiting for updated reports to find where the big bass are.