5/18 Liberty - Love taking new people

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by DPevin, May 19, 2019.

1. DPevin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,548
    Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Love taking first timers out, the fish always seem to cooperate.

My wife's best friend is in town from Seattle with her boyfriend. He grew up in Cuba in a fishing town and has done a bit of shore fishing but never anything like what we got going on here. Plan was to do a Coronados trip, but they had been going offshore and I figured we would play it by ear, maybe Catalina or something. I didn't feel taking him offshore for the first time would be very fun. Luckily. They started fishing the islands again this week and with the liberty having the least amount of reservations on Friday we booked our trip for Saturday.

Left with 38 folks and came home with 133 yellows and 30 something bonito. Needless to say, we made the right call, and the bit of weather we had the prior two days didnt make much of a difference.

I got one early on our first stop on a butt hooked dine and 25#. Love my 270-8h and p229f, just a ton of fun.

Got a second on the yoyo. My buddy got a nice starry on the yoyo rod I had him set up with. I hooked another yellow on the yoyo and it was a better one. Handed it off to him and reeled in his yoyo and stayed with him through the fight to give him some direction. Love the reaction when people feel a fish pull like that and haven't felt it before. He landed that one. Gave him a few pointers on holding the rod and reeling after what I saw on that first fish. He proceeded to hook and land two more yoyo yellows and a bonito. I was so pumped he got fish and on his own. He had a blast.

I ended up landing 5 yellows for my limit. The one on bait and the rest on the yoyo. Plus the hook and hand to my friend. Along with pulling the hook on one right at the boat when a dog came after it and I just pulled too hard to try and get my fish away from it. The kick to the nutts came at the end of the day when I hooked a good one and got it to the boat on the bow. Deckhands were busy so I looked behind me to check it it was clear. Looked back to the fish to wind down and bounce it and a monster furbag came out from under the boat and grabbed it. Took off under the boat to the other side. I ran to the stern taking every rod to the head, why is it no one ever wants to move? Line got caught on something under the boat and had to wait a minute for the deckhand to gaff fish before he pushed my line free with the gaff. When he did the sea lion was 200 yards off the stern. I got the fish free from him twice but it was so far I couldn't reel fast enough to keep it away. He got it again and in pulling on it the line broke where it got hung up on the boat. I already had my limit, but lost a Reebs RB1 yoyo the only one I had of this darker birdsh*t with tiger stripes, such a good jig. So bummed. The dogs were thick, 5 or so every stop.

Messed around with a JRI stinger and got dogboned a few times but nothing stuck ? Missing paint and everything....oh well. Amazing day on the water and as good as it gets yellowtail fishing.

20190518_163802.jpg 20190518_164026(0).jpg 20190518_114954.jpg
    20190518_115002.jpg

#1 DPevin, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
  2. Johnnycaster

Johnnycaster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +171
    Nice report. I was listening to Capt. Taro on the radio/app this morning. Good feeling to hook & hand and share the stoke. Way to go!

3. Epaleo

Epaleo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +91
    Cool pics. Good Vibes.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,649
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Glad your buddy got to free the stoke

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Capt Ray

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,109
    Name:
    Ray
    Sounds like a great trip not to mention a good limit of quality YT.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  6. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +34,292
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Beautiful work.. Solid

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Graydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +668
    Boat:
    Freedom Boat Club
    Awesome

8. DPevin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,548
    Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Yeah, I was stressing at first...but once he landed the hook and hand and then I saw him hook and land one on his own the weight was lifted. And him getting another and a bone on his own was just icing on the cake.

9. DPevin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,548
    Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Another fun note.

Gavin from the pacific queen was riding the boat. He apparently had fell and broke his right elbow. His arm was in a sling. He said he was just riding the boat to chill for the day.

Well our first stop the fish were boiling all around and we got 15 on a real quick hit and next thing you know he us up top while we are looking around rigging up a left reel and putting a top shot on it, one handed.

Saw him get at least 3 or 4 one handed on the yoyo. Was too funny. Just laid the rod on the rail and buttoned down the drag and grinded them up hah.

He was on the bow next to my buddy when he was fighting that fish fish and got a good kick out of it. He was awesome and threw some encouragement my buddy's way. Good dude.

10. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,649
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Anytime someone hooks into a fish that has weight and strength behind it... I still feel my gut wrenching from my first yellow and the “oh my lordy lordy lord” factor coming over me. Roped me on the jig stick.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. DPevin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,548
    Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    Kayak
    haha yeah, it is pretty exciting. I get just as amped when friends and first timers get bit as I do catching myself.

Watching first timers always brings back memories and funny little things you forget. Like I had to tell him to watch his hands between the rod and the rail and little things like that.

12. bluegillman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +375
    Name:
    Aqualung
    Exciting report... wish I had a slang dictionary for it though.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List