5/18 MB - I got lazy...

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by AzImport, May 18, 2018.

1. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,963
    Short: 5 bass, 3 hours (2340 - 0240), one more lost at the waters edge. Holy hell I wrote a book lol

Long:

Well, fishing is therapy. And sometimes that entails not moving a damned inch for over an hour unless absolutely needed. Went straight to my usual spot, rather shamelessly at that. Had both my spinning setup and my baitcaster with me. Still getting used to the baitcaster, but I've found a hold that doesn't hurt my hand at all, which is a huge bonus for me. Started out with a 3/8th oz T-rig on the baitcaster throwing a zoom fat albert in watermelon, and a gitzit paddlefry body on a 1/4oz ball jighead on the spinning rod. Fat albert wasn't attracting squat. Missed one bite and that was it. 10 minutes of that, I switch to the casting setup and start throwing that instead. Get bit by a small little guy, and that would be my last bite for over an hour. Cast just about anywhere I could reach, and got nothing. Kept telling myself I should move, but decided to instead try out the dropshot. Typically only dropshot bait, not used to doing plastics, but decided to hell with it.
    Get the baitcaster set up for dropshotting... get all my knots tied, get the last gulp ghost shrimp I had hooked on (fished this t-rigged on the dropshot)... and then I notice that my weight seems... heavy. And lo and behold, I managed to tie on a 1oz. Too lazy to retie, and 10lb mono is very very hard for me to see under any conditions, so I went with it. Cast parallel to my perch (pretty much everything was holding in much closer to structure than I'm used to...). Few casts, get a tug thats definitely a bite. Set my hook, and its off to the races. Not used to the drag on a baitcaster yet (only my second fish on one) aaaaaaand.... my drag was wide open. I was reeling like a madman and couldn't for the life of me determine why I was making no headway. Run up to get closer and eat the slack, and its actually a very decently sized bass. Pretty much just physically yank him out of the grass and mug he had himself buried in, and get him to hand. Took forever to get him unhooked, not used to normal hooks. Taped out to 13" on the nose. Get him back in, and start playing with my drag.
    Well, keep dropshotting for a while to no effect, swap over to my spinning setup again, and cast in a bit close. Got hit quick, and brought another small one to hand. Get him back in aaaand.... go back to my dropshot lol. Cast straight out, and just start my retrieve. Missed a bite, just let it sit... get bit again, set. Start reeling, its got a good fight to it. Finally get the fish wrenched out of the mud and grass.... and 1-2ft under the surface he shakes the hook. Woulda been another nice bass. Swapped over to a fat albert in chartreuse for the lure and tossed a 1/2oz on for good measure. 5-6 more minutes of casting and 3 missed bites later I get a nice strong tug, and go for the set. Drag properly set this time, and probably halfway into the fight I felt everything go completely slack. Pop the rod a couple times... just feels like the weight on the end. And then the headshakes started back up again. Got him up and turned up another good sized, probably 12" compared to the taped 13" from earlier.
    Get the "where the bloody hell are you???" text from my wife, and decide I've got time for maybe 3-4 more casts... Swap over to my gitzit one last time, and made 5 casts. First 4 produced one short bite, last one got nailed on the initial drop. Wasn't a huge one, probably only 10", but last cast of the night produced my 5th fish.
    Felt like tonight woulda been the night for a great session... if only I had been willing to move around. The fish were biting when they were there, and the bites were coming in waves. I'd say one of these days I'm gonna go all out and throw the kitchen sink at MB in places I haven't been successful yet, but I think the big bay is calling my name. Been a minute since I've pulled a fish out of there that isn't at NTC...

Good grief, I didn't write an essay, or a novel, I wrote a damned encyclopedia.... *sigh*.... Fishing is Therapy, folks! Apparently so is typing out reports! lol

20180518_023308.jpg

20180518_013447.jpg

20180518_012331.jpg

20180518_011247.jpg

20180518_000119.jpg

2. FOE_RUNNER

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,433
    Nice catches! Keep it up!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,424
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Well done.. Getting that bite dialed in a bit better..

4. AzImport

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,963
    Learning what works best for the conditions, and grinding away. I am noticing a definite increase in quality over when I first started out. Now just to learn to hunt new spots to fish lol

5. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,427
    Carpal Tunnel

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. AzImport

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,963
    Given that I've spent probably 25 of my 30 years on this plane of existance either with a controller in my hands or typing on a keyboard, I would say with certainty its carpal tunnel. Probably one of the reasons I can't reel with my right hand, too....

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. fishinmike

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +957
    Boat:
    Pro angler
    Nice catches, good read!

8. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,225
    Way to go!!

(You should get your wrist looked at if u think its carpal tunnel....)

9. fishingap

fishingap Active Member

Ratings:
    +196