5/23 Pacifica 1.5

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by Easy619, May 25, 2022.

1. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,307
    Name:
    Eric
    Got back in this moring from a 1.5 day on the Pacifica. I Ended up going 2 for 2 on bluefin, final count was 26 bluefin and 11 yellowtail for 28 anglers.
    Arriving at the landing for departure, the returning overnight trip did not do well, only a handful of fish. Counts were not great over the weekend, so was prepared for a possible slow trip.
    Once we were on the way, captain Andrew said he was getting good reports from more west, so we were headed that way to a different zone than they had been fishing. Said 4 hours and we would be fishing.
    Looking around the boat, anglers came prepared, heavy gear galore. We were in the zone and dropping jigs around 1230am. Stopped on various schools of big fish and grinded till the Sun came up on the heavy gear. 3 fish in the 150-180lb class were landed and a couple lost. One of the lost fish picked up about 12 guys jigs and a huge ball of line. Crew managed to recover most of the (pricey) jigs and helped splice line back on reels.
    Uneventful morning, until around noon, I was awoke from a power nap by the captain yelling to chum hard and that a huge school was on us good. 30-40lb grade fish up at 100ft depth. Grabbed my 30# setup and started flylining baits. First bite on a belly hooked lively sardine, got him turned quick and put hard pressure to get him to gaff hot in minutes. Deckhand hit a money gaff shot and fish basically bled out on the deck. Retied and back at it. Second bite, fish took a screaming run on a long soak, knew it was either a little better grade fish or just had a head of steam. This fish took me half way around the boat, dechands did an excellent job getting out of tangles as the fish picked up many a line screaming down the rail. Clicked the drag up a few notches and short pumped him to gaff. My size 2 mustad was bent out pretty good.
    A handful of yellowtail were caught as well with a kelp in the vicinity. This stop turned into a multi hour plunker bite and produced the majority of the fish for the trip. At sunset we found another school that were boiling and jumping but wouldn't bite anything.
    At dark it was back to the heavy gear, but less schools located than the first night, only 1 smaller fish came on the jigs. Slept like a (sore) baby when it was time to head back to the docks.
    Great group of guys on the trip, good team work and communication for the most part. Captain and crew were great, deckhands did some phenomenal work with tangles and working guys out of sticky situations. Nick in the galley was on point as well. Night captain Evan was stellar, whole crew put in work and did a great job.
    Great trip on a great boat. Sore arms and back, sunburn, sleep deprived and a pair of beautiful bluefin on ice. Life is good.

20220525_055223.jpg 20220525_055152.jpg 20220523_214604.jpg 20220525_071652.jpg

• Like Like x 22
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,502
    Thanks for the report.

3. oldfogey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,467
    Name:
    Mike
    good job

4. Bassnbeans

Bassnbeans 4th turning is gonna hurt
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,045
    Color me jealous!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,307
    Name:
    Eric
    Tuna are freaking brutes. An experience every fisherman should have, I think. I can't get enough.
    Still looking for that triple digit, been on plenty of trips that had them and had plenty of limits but not got the call from the monster. It's gunna be sweeeeet when it happens.

6. Smokey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +571
    Great report, thanks.

7. Bassnbeans

Bassnbeans 4th turning is gonna hurt
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,045
    You’re not kidding. My son got a #70 class before we left SoCal. It was work! I took the rod for a few minutes to relieve him, and that sucker had me pinned to the rail. And I mean pinned! Amazing power in those fish. What a rush! I held onto it until Capt. said “I see color”, then my son says “gimme that rod back” LOL!

8. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,307
    Name:
    Eric
    Gotta finish your own fish, even if you need a breather. They are amazing fish. That rush is exactly what I'm talking about hahah. The more vertical they are, the more brutal the fight is on the angler. Puts max bendo on the rod and max torque on your arms and back. And bluefin love to dive deep... when you've been battling a tough fighter and he takes off from deep color straight down..my heart sinks hahaha. Love it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,307
    Name:
    Eric
    No problem. I enjoy reading a detailed report, and I like writing them to relive the stoke.

10. galen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,713
    Boat:
    15 ft Saturn raft
    Nice trip. How about Owner Gorilla hooks, never seen one do what that Mustad did.

11. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,307
    Name:
    Eric
    I have a few packs of the owner gorilla, haven't fished them much. I've got more than a few tuna on the mustads without a problem...but I have to admit, seeing that hook bent out on 30# line vs a 35lb tuna does have me feeling a little weird

12. Deep color

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,104
    Good boat great crew. A few weeks ago I saw them perform some near miracles as far as tangles even in the dark. Nick in the galley is a good man! I'll be a repeat customer for sure. Nice fish you got there! Tuna fever is real

13. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,646
    blufin will be blufin at times so I try & not throw the heavy gauge gorilla as it might lessen your chances of getting bit. Maybe an owner Mutu, much much stronger than a 94150 & not super heavy gauge like a gorrila.
    lots of good hooks out there....
    You can pull pretty hard on a tiny 94150 though without pulling the hook.....
    That bent hook you must have been fishing braid to a short top shot? Its how I usually fish....
    But for the average size fish the 94150 get bit!!! Looser drag.....

#13 Slater, May 26, 2022
    Last edited: May 26, 2022
  14. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,307
    Name:
    Eric
    Personally, I don't like the mutu for flyline. The smaller size 2 or 4 mutus are kinda goofy to me for quickly hooking the bait properly, I'm wayyy more efficient with the mustad. That's just me, but I'm pretty confident in my flyline technique with the mustads as far as getting bit.
    I had about a boat length of mono on top of my braid. I did push the drag up a bit to finish the fish off. Also that fish bit on a long soak and ended up pretty deep in the spool after the first run, so the drag had ramped up pretty high at that time. Probably should have dialed it back a little that deep into the spool. I was fishing a calstar 670-8 which gets a lot of bend in it, might have helped save my ***.
    When the fish hit the deck and I saw that hook, I felt pretty fortunate to have landed it.

15. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,307
    Name:
    Eric
    Man, am I crazy for thinking about getting on a boat again in a few days?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. Roncador

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,068
    Boat:
    Not at all haha. If you can afford it do it. I've been tempted myself but probably gonna wait till the fall to go for the big boys. Plan on doing a 3 dayer in October.

#16 Roncador, May 28, 2022
    Last edited: May 28, 2022
  17. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,307
    Name:
    Eric
    Nice, I gotta pony up for a multi day at some point. The last few days the fleet had a lot of 100+. Seems like spring and fall are prime time on the big fish. Last year I had three 1.5s booked in the fall. 2 ended up not running. I'm on the hunt for that big fish. Just about every spring trip I've been on the last few years has atleast one over 100 and the night fishing trips many more. Putting in work and waiting for that bite. I can't complain with limits of 40lbers but I want that big fish..if they bite good today and tomorrow I will pull the trigger. Better spending money on trips with a good chance than on a midsummer kelp patty trip while the bluefin are lockjawed eating micro bait...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,307
    Name:
    Eric
    Did some home made Nigiri...put so much wasabi it blew my face off lol. Bomb
    20220528_170144.jpg