5/31 Barrett

Discussion in 'Barrett Reports' started by The Bui, Jun 1, 2008.

1. The Bui

The Bui Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +100
    Boat:
    Ranger Z521+Kickboat
    Consistant frog blow ups for me all day, only problem was hooking up/landing them, only landed 1 of 20, biggest of those was a 4 that came unbuttoned at the boat. I did catch a few of them with a follow up bait after a blow up. Blades on weedy banks accounted for about 40% of my fish, 10% on soft plastics and 50% on jigs. Quality seemed to be better in 15-30' of water off rocks. Coolest part of the day was probably watching a streak on the depth finder go down on my fish finder, set the hook and watch the streak come up as i reeled it in, ended up to be a slab crappie on my bass jig. Ended with 32 bass + 1 crappie and about 10-12 bass farmed at the boat (gotta love barbless, lol). Big fish went 4-0 on the scale, caught off rocks on a jig.

Sumpinfishy and his dad took the boat and I kickboated, ended up with 85 between the 3 of us.
    053108Barretts.jpg

Well the picture isnt showing for me for some reason

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/d ... rretts.jpg

2. Afran

Afran New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sweet report! I like that you hooked 50% on the jig! Gives me hope. Was there a specific color on that jig? I was thinking about going lighter colored, like a spring craw?

On the frog bait, I bent my hooks UP & OUT a little, away from the body.

Great job!B)

3. The Bui

Ratings:
    +100
    Boat:
    Ranger Z521+Kickboat
    plain ole brown with rootbeer yammie craw trailor, didnt feel most bites, saw my line jump or just increased weight weight. I dont do that because of where I put my frogs, if they arent flush it makes for a very frustrating day retreiving it from the thickest of cover, I probably could have done that for barrett though, it doesnt have the nastiest of cover, haha.

4. fishintimber

fishintimber Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Good stuff with the jigs. Mick really convinced me last year to commit to some jig fishing and it paid off. I can't wait to give it another go on wednesday.

5. dilatedppls

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +603
    nice report, very useful information. how far did you go out on your poontoon?

6. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +297
    Man I love to hear there's a jig bite. Been hearing about the frog bite with a low hookup rate. I'll fish the flyrod next time and see if I can increase my percentage. Thanks for the info. I'll use it on the 7th when I get back out there.

mick

7. sumpin_fishy

sumpin_fishy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +154
    Went in with the Bui and started along the bank working away from the dam. I wanted it to be a blade bite but it was not happening. Threw a frog and only got one and a few blow ups. Went to a fluke and nailed one right away around 3 lbs then nothing. so i went to old faithful....an ika. i boated nine in about twenty minutes. the pattern held ALL DAY. a few feet from the dead grass off any bank and it held hungry bass waiting for an IKA. I got bored with this so I went back to the frog. It was on for about two hours. Lots of fish and lots of missed fish but it was loads of fun. Biggest of the day for me was a 4 pound 10 ounce on a frog. All in all it was a great day. Lots of fish all different techniques.

8. The Bui

Ratings:
    +100
    Boat:
    Ranger Z521+Kickboat
    I went probably halfway up pine and hauser. Ive launched from shelter island and went out to point loma kelp with a friend that also has a similar set up, never doing that again, haha

9. dfishin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +285
    I talked to Bui and saw him farm one of his jig fish.:) Bui I was the in tube with the TM and big bobber cooler I talked to you by the rock pile.

10. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,228
    I hope they're just as hungary this wednesday. :woohoo:

11. Palo

Palo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the report Bui. I am super stoked to hear there is a jig bite starting up again.

12. lurk 1

lurk 1 New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    i too am excited to hear that you were able to pick off some jig bass. before everyone goes out and buys ten of them in "your" color, i wanted to pat you on the back for figuring out where to throw that bait, how to work it, what gear to throw it on, and how to put those fish in the boat with hooks that don't work. you da man.

13. The Bui

Ratings:
    +100
    Boat:
    Ranger Z521+Kickboat
    Dfishing...I farmed some others when you weren't looking :p

Gear... I was using the glx mbr844 I bought off maxZmus(GL on wednesday dude) awhile back, haha. Great jig stick. I wasn't dragging, hopping the jig along (1-3', most hit on the fall of the hop.

NP guys, reading others reports helps me so others reading my reports hopefully helps them.