6-12-19 with TheDooster + Special Guest Appearance

Discussion in 'Barrett Reports' started by TheBassinPanda, Jun 12, 2019.

1. TheBassinPanda

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,988
    Boat:
    I wish
    Hey guys,

I scored another ticket to Barrett today because my buddy the_dooster wanted to check it out for the first time. He has heard a little about the lake and the great reaction bite so I convinced him to come down all the way from Long Beach to come fish with me. We got a motel in El Cajon the night before so we could get some decent sleep and not have the_dooster drive from OC at like 1 or 2am. We got to the gate at 4:05 am and found 5 cars had already started their descent. We were able to load up quickly and be one of the first ones out on the water by 4:30-4:40. The air temp was fairly warm and not as cool as last week. I didn't even have to wear my sweater in the morning.

We decided to start in Hauser as I believe I have better luck starting out there. There was barely any light out and we started off throwing top water of course! The_Dooster has yet to get a frog fish and I was on a mission to get him his first, just as I landed my first frog bass at Barrett 2 years ago. We found a nice area to start and combed the banks with our frogs and poppers and it wasn't long until The_Dooster saw a toilet flush and his frog disappeared, then bam frog fish on! First frog fish for my buddy accomplished at 5:14am! Woot!
    WY2Nbv.jpg

I for some reason couldn't get bit on my frog so I switched to a regular bone white popper and soon after was able to get in on the top water action, because topwater is bestwater. hehe.

We continued down into Hauser and kept throwing different reaction bites. I got a few more off the popper and spook. The_Dooster would go on to get bit on the frog but they would either short strike, miss it completely or just spit the hook. We were racking up decent numbers of fish in the first few hours just throwing top water and reaction. The_Dooster even got some off his lipless crankbait (and a crappie to boot!)
    WY2Ldm.jpg

I threw the spinnerbait for a bit like last week but couldn't really get bit, but I swear I got a few bumps. The bite seemed to die down and The_Dooster resorted to getting a few dinks on the senko.
    WY2bdb.jpg

We then decided to start making our way back to the main lake and fish the main coves there as there wasn't much wind and the sun was getting high. The_Dooster got a decent chunk of the Ika and I lost a decent fish on the jig. We fished around the the dam side but couldn't get anything.

We decided to head into Pine as we hadn't been there yet but on the way I spotted a familiar hat lol. Lo and behold Mr otay michael was out on the water by himself. We exchanged warm greetings and he advised he had just got on the water not too long ago. We wished each other good luck and then we both ended up heading into Pine. I mentioned to The_Dooster that every time I see otay michael on the water, I am blessed with good luck, usually on top water lol.

About 30 minutes later as we continued to fish the Pine arm, we ran into otay michael smashing the bass away on top water as usual.
    WY2Dz2.jpg

Inspired by Otay Michael, I picked up my frog and started froggin away. I got a few short strikes from small guys but after about 20mins or so and after seeing Otay Michael hauling them in, I got a big violent blowup on my frog. She put up a great fight and The_Dooster did an awesome net job and I finally boated my first frog bass at Barrett for the year, only took two trips lol. She came in at a healthy 4.03lbs! (Thanks for passing on some of that good luck otay michael !)
    WY2F45.jpg
    WY2ePZ.jpg
    She choked that frog good!

After that, the frog bite seemed to die off for me and The_Dooster, so we decided to move on and check out the sunken trees. We flipped them for a bit and The_dooster got another one off the ika and I got a decent chunk off the jig.

WY2Hb1.jpg

The day wore on and we started getting very hot and tired. We decided to head back into the boat launch to get more water from the car as we had finished off our first cooler of water. But we ended up taking a short nap in the shade of the boat dock. When we woke after about 20mins or so, we decided to call it a day at 4:30pm as we were both very tired and The_Dooster had to drive back to Long Beach still.

We boated around 15 bass, 1 crappie, and lost 3 or 4 at the boat. All in all, a slow to decent day for Barrett standards but they were mainly off reaction bites which made it quite worth it. I felt a lot better about taking The_Dooster out with me this time because the past two times we went out, he skunked and only I got a few bass at Perris. The_Dooster is now hooked on Barrett Lake and already asked me when's the next time we can come back lol.

• Like Like x 14
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. the_dooster

the_dooster Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Yeah, I had a great time thanks for the invite. We had an awesome day, and got them on a variety of lures. It all made sense why they weren’t hitting your frog in the morning, once we finally got off the water.

And def learned something today, that I don’t discriminate with my hooksets.

3. TheBassinPanda

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,988
    Boat:
    I wish
    Str8 up all bass of all sizes are gonna get it, and get it good! Givin em da bizzzznaazzzzzzz :emoji_joy:

4. snookslayer

snookslayer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Slow day of fishing beats the best day of work! Quick question is the front entry open now? I heard last week there was a tree down. We are headed out next Wednesday.

5. fish4bass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +709
    Yes its open, they cleared the tree the same day

6. snookslayer

snookslayer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Thanks for the update!! Tight Lines!

7. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,188
    Great chatting a bit TheBassinPanda and meeting the_dooster
    the_dooster, and was fun getting to watch you get the nice frog fish.
    Here's the shot of the one you saw me land. IMG_4982.JPG

It was a bit slow for me. Yeah, got a late start, but fished till dusk. Ended with 22, all on top. Nothing over 5#

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,311
    Nice work you guys. I'm pretty sure I saw you in the AM? My Son and I got dropped off to tube on the back right side of Hauser.. I think you two were working your way towards us? Sounded like you were having a blast. We found some solid fish in that area with smaller ones as we went east then much better quality on the main lake. Cheers!

9. the_dooster

the_dooster Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Yeah you probably heard us laughing when I caught the crappie.

10. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,311
    Yep, funny thing is I caught one over there on the lipless crank too. You guys were definitely having a good time!

11. TheBassinPanda

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,988
    Boat:
    I wish
    Thanks a lot! Next time I'm out there I'll keep an eye out for ya. Glad you guys got on em too. We noticed better fish quality in Pine for us and some in the main lake area.

Always greet seeing you on the water sir! You were machine out there getting nothing but top water bass lol.