6/14/08 New Seaforth 1/2 AM, PM, & Twlight Trip

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by Shyazn8boi, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Shyazn8boi

Shyazn8boi New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Who: My friend and I
    What: New Seaforth
    When: 6/14/08 5:30 AM, 12:30 PM, and 6:00 PM
    Where: Point Loma & other spot
    Why: To catch barracudas, calicos, and fish
    How: Iron and live bait the whole way

Decided to hit New Seaforth up for some barracudas according to the Seaforth fish counts on 6/13/08 had caught 100+ barracudas..

Jaws v Willy had caught a Legal size halibut off the bait barge.. 25+ inches.. Guy who tried to gaff it missed haha (some angler, not deckhand)

First stop.. There was some calicos being caught, but not that much.. Decided to cast out iron the whole entire day(which I did).. No action really for AM trip.. So I decided to catch some mackeral for fun and was sucessful.

My friend and I decided to rerun PM trip.. And was MUCH better than AM! RJ decided to look for some surface action of the cudas at PL... And found the spot. After 10+ cast.. I get hit hard!

Hooked up a nice 7 pounder barracuda off the iron.. Bounced that cuda loud as I can on the deck
    Next cast I get hit hard once again! Then I started to reel and reel then all a sudden it came lose! Got me mad! Then nothing..
    The calicos on PM was not that great.. According to RJ

Decided to rerun on the Twlight trip..
    It was very nice.. And funny.

They call me Princess now..
    Just because I have a purple&pink rod wrapped with a purple iron on.. Hehehe..

Sandbass was biting very decent.. I caught 5 sandbass, each weighed about 1 - 3 pounds.. Used anchovies as bait..

Pretty exhausted today.. 4:45 AM to 10:30 P.M.. LONG DAY!

Picutures:
    cuda1.jpg
    cuda2.jpg
    macs.jpg
    sandmac.jpg
    sandbass1.jpg
    fisjhfamily.jpg

2. Mecca24/7

Mecca24/7 New Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Do I smell sinigang??? :p haha nice romel

3. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,956
    Nice job out there. YUMMY...... Mackerel is my favorite :S :X

4. Oolie

Oolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +12
    4romel.jpg

am i mecca yet?

5. bassmaster20

bassmaster20 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    wut kind of reel and rod do u use to toss ur irons

6. Dj_Hickups

Dj_Hickups Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    fish an ulua with a 338 newell.... best surface iron rod/reel today on the market.... ask any deckhand and they will agree!!!!

7. Jaws v Willy

Jaws v Willy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    my buddy used to deckhand but he uses an ulua with a 332, but i guess thats why he doesnt deckhand anymore.

Hey romel i like how those sand bass look kinda nasty, you should have cleaned em that night man. Heres a pic of the hali caught on my first cast of a plastic while docked at the barge. No JP money though since it was caught inside the bay, dont get it, its not my problem people cant catch fish without live bait. From shore, the day before, I caught a 2.5# spotty and 21 inch hali inside the basin on the same exact lure, i think it just became my go to lure :)

25d91ad9.jpg

8. Shyazn8boi

Shyazn8boi New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Daiwa Sealine-X 40HA
    4.9:1 Gear Ratio
    Loaded with straight up Izorline 40# test line

Custom Mudhole E-Glass 8' Rod 40-60 Line rating
    Purple&Pink guide wrapping :laugh:

Tady 45 Surface Iron 3.3 Ounce

9. Jaws v Willy

Ratings:
    +2
    I use a daiwa saltist 30TH
    6.4 ratio, 47 inch retrieve per crank
    20# of drag pressure
    300 yards of 65# spec, short TS of 40# Pline

ON A

8' Sabre Stroker rod
    20-40# medium action
    x-wrap handle

i love it

10. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,956
    The reason you didn't get the jackpot for that halibut has absolutely, positively NOTHING to do with using live bait. It actually has nothing to do with you catching the fish in the bay either. The reason you didn't get the jackpot has to do with equality of time with lines in the water. You are fortunate enough to have your own gear to bring aboard with you. However, the vast majority of the people who go out on the 1/2 day and 3/4 day trips rent their gear. They also buy their tackle from the shop on the sportboat or on the pier the sportboat is moored up to. They use live bait because they don't have a choice. They don't fish enough to know what to buy, or to even attempt to try dropping a line in the bay while the boat is onloading bait. Would it really be fair if you won the jackpot, having caught your fish in a time frame that exceeds everyone elses on board? You may have gotten an extra 15 miutes of fishing in, giving you an unfair advantage. If the captain said, "We're going to stay in the bay for a little while, then we'll head offshore.", you would have been justified in your argument. And believe me, I've seen the sportboats fish in the bay before, so that philosophy isn't far fetched.

My second point/question is, how do you even know you would have won the jackpot? If your fish wasn't in the running for the JP, how do you know it weighed more than the fish that did win the jackpot? That halibut is BARELY legal (even when stretched). A barely legal halibut weighs MAYBE 3lbs. You're telling me that nobody on that boat caught a fish heavier than three pounds? I doubt that. If anyone caught a legal lingcod aboard your boat, it weighed more than your halibut. If anyone caught a legal baraccuda on that boat, it also weighed more than your halibut did.

Lastly, there is a time and a place to chuck bait my friend. If you're in a tournament that's "plastic only", or you 're just a purist and you like the hunt better than the catch, then by all means, chuck out some plastic. However, if you don't know any better (i.e. you're a noob), then you don't care about the hunt. You just want your lines to be tight. Also, whenever I want to fill my freezer with tasty morsely, I ALWAYS use live bait. Live bait guarantees success, and in my personal experience has ALWAYS outfished plastics. Come to think of it, are you telling me that you used plastics all day long? Because if you didn't, you're statement about it not being your fault people can't catch fish without using live bait makes you a hypocrite. Just something to think about.

Don't take this post the wrong way. I'm not trying to reign on you. I just want you to understand why you didn't win the jackpot, and why and when to use live bait.

~Fomen~

11. zman

zman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    true dat fomen live bait will way outfish plastic and everything has its time and place.a couple weeks ago i took the boy out,hot bite barries some bonies,bait everywhere!people around us hooking up.i basically threw the whole tackle box at em!big bonies would chase lures ,irons ,swimbaits,spoons,jigs ,strip bait etc.you name it ,get a good look and turn away,yes turn away!they wanted the live stuff.it does happen.dont be one dimensional and never fish the live stuff,you need it!!since i been fishing my boat a 16.5 tracker ,i havent used live bait,we had some great days and some skunks.i realize how bad i need live bait and thinking of rigging a tank.it has a livewell but i think will be insufficient.i use it to put keepers on ice!some one on this forum said the livewell on this boat beats the bait up real bad,some im saving to get a good system!you are right on though!

12. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,956
    I have an 18' sea pro that came with 2 small bait tanks built into the back. The guy who I bought the boat from said he only used them once and realized they beat the crap out of the bait. He took out the captains chairs, and put in a leaning post to make room for the new bait tank he installed. I now have a 15 gallon cylindrical bait tank with an 800 gph bait pump. I can comfortably hold 1/2 scoop of bait without too much die off. I've had days where I've strictly fished plastics and crank baits too. On some of those days I've been tempted to eat $20 and get live bait anyways- but I didn't. I want to try and be as versitle as possible, and the only way to lean=rn vesatility is to step out of your comfort zone.

Jaws vs Willy, I have to apologize. I guess I came across a little brazen. No hard feelings (I hope).

~Fomen~

13. Shyazn8boi

Shyazn8boi New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Fomen wrote:
    My second point/question is, how do you even know you would have won the jackpot? If your fish wasn't in the running for the JP, how do you know it weighed more than the fish that did win the jackpot? That halibut is BARELY legal (even when stretched). A barely legal halibut weighs MAYBE 3lbs. You're telling me that nobody on that boat caught a fish heavier than three pounds? I doubt that. If anyone caught a legal lingcod aboard your boat, it weighed more than your halibut. If anyone caught a legal baraccuda on that boat, it also weighed more than your halibut did.

~Fomen~[/quote]

On that trip.. NO ONE caught a LINGCOD or BARRACUDA.. There wasn't any bigger fish than Jaw's halibut.. It looks small in the picture, but when you see it.. Its bigger than you see online. And much heavier also..

14. Jaws v Willy

Ratings:
    +2
    Hey Fomen, no offense taken. First off, that hali wasn't big it was only 25 inches and weighed about 4 pounds. The reason i gave for not getting JP was what Javier told me, some passneger tells me, you won JP, so I went and asked Javi, he told me that some guy with a calico won it because the hali was caught at the bait reciever. I wasn't trying to criticize someone for using live bait, I do it all the time.

In my opinion, if you dont have your own gear and you are a 'noob', common sense dictates that someone with a tackle box and experience will, on average, do better than you. So for a 'noob' to sign up for JP, they are pretty much dropping some bills in a video poker machine, they might get lucky, but most likely they will lose. Dont know if that makes sense but thats how i look at it.

Fomen, if your looking for someone to clean your boat and pitch on gas/bait, i'm available on the weekends.

15. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,956
    I'll get you out there with me, don't worry. I'm booked up for a little while, but I'll let you know when I have some availability. If you really want to improve your game, you need to stop heading out on sportboats, and start heading out with anglers who post on here and other online fishing forums. All you have to do is throw out a post stating that you want to go fishing on someones boat, and that you're willing to help clean, buy some gas or bait, and you're sure to get a taker. The skills you'll aquire from the people on here are invaluable. You post on here enough to know who the guys are that you want to head out with. I met an AWESOME guy on here named Eric (SSUFish) who hit me up with a request for a ride along. He turned out to be a great guy, and a great fisherman. He taught me a thing or two, and I taught his some tricks of the trade as well. We've been friends and occasional fishing partners ever since. It all started with a request to ride along. I also met Aaron (asilberberg101) on here the same way. He's another AWESOME guy! And just recently I started fishing with JimmyZ123, who I also met on the boards. He's another stellar character and fisherman. Throw it out there for some takers. What's the worst they will do- not reply back? You might give someone $25-30 for gas or bait, but that's WAYYYYY cheaper than the sportboats, especially the 3/4 day boats.

~Fomen~

16. Jaws v Willy

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks a lot Fomen, ill try that out. The only buddy i got that takes his boat out has a 40' hatteras and that costs me more than a cattle boat but definately a higher quality of fishing than a cattle boat. Let me know when you have an open spot.
    Thanks,
    Heva

17. Dj_Hickups

Dj_Hickups Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i would fish a 332 but on my 10ft super seeker u cant fit a 332 u have to use a 338.... but on my 93 ulua i fish a 332

18. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +134
    Fomen know's what he's talking about. I think the best day fishing I have ever had was the day I went with Scott and Eric. I got to watch Eric and his skills and a former deck hand and think WOW, that's pretty cool. So now I try and take on those same duties when I'm out. Scrub the deck, keep the blood off if possible, but then clean it up after. Also, learning the skills that Scott was more than happy to pass on was incredible. I have started passing those tips on to my dad, and I'm sure when my son gets older I will pass them on to him also.

This site is a great place to learn and it's a free site.

There's people out there that will take you on, all I have to say is be on time, early if you can, and pay in cash. I have heard of people trying to pay with checks, and other forms that are not benficial to the boat owner.