1. Anglers Marine is looking for motivated, qualified, career driven employees for their Lakeside location. Full time Counter Sales, Part Sales, and Boat Sales positions are available at their Lakeside location. Health insurance and 401k benefits are available. Pay based on experience. Contact Rick or Cindy at 714-666-2628 if interested.
    Dismiss Notice

6/14 Oceanside pier mackeral report and crabbing

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by Captainderps, Jun 14, 2018 at 10:51 PM.

1. Captainderps

Captainderps Member

Ratings:
    +52
    Todays catch was 8 species total for me: lots of pacific chub mackerel 8- 12 inch, 2 yellowfin croaker, 2 spotfin croaker, 1 jack mackeral, 1 jacksmelt, 1 salema, 1 small sculpin, and a 5 inch halibut haha. Also a small spider crab was caught and released. I kept the macks for bait.

Fished from 7:00 am to 2:00pm near the restaurant at the end of the pier using small mackeral chunks and a jig.

Mackeral and lots of it in the morning and around noon. Best bait was using small pieces of mackeral on a sabiki rig or free lining a chunk after chumming the water with mackerel. the baitfish would swarm around luring the school of macks in. I caught some bigger macks using a 2 oz. p-line flash minnow, but I'm sure a large kroc could as well.

Some salema, sardines, and jacksmelt were mixed in the school as well. No bonito yet, but bigger fish under the pier did try and grab at the baitfish every once in awhile.

Around the breaking waves, lots of spotfin and yellowfin croaker were being caught on mussel early in the morning like around 5-7am. I caught a couple baby spotfin and yellowfin on small squid tentacles and mackeral chunks on a sabiki.

I saw a small calico caught on anchovy.

In the crab net, I was using a chicken leg, a grunion, and a mackeral piece as bait resulting in a hermit crab, spider crab, tiny halibut, and a sculpin all of which was released. Anyone catch any rock crabs from oceanside? I placed the pot deep in between the pillars past the sink.

IMG_5856.JPG
    IMG_5859.JPG
    IMG_5855.JPG

#1 Captainderps, Jun 14, 2018 at 10:51 PM
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 11:00 PM
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +21,166
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Nice work.. looks fun

3. SonyCbad

SonyCbad Active Member

Ratings:
    +194
    Nice work! I think I saw you... had two ropes tied down (I'm assuming your crab pots). I went for an hour around noon looking for Bonito, but struck out. Just macks.

Might have to bust out the croaker rigs! There were some fat ones!!!

20180614_105532.jpg

4. Tmaio123

Tmaio123 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,258
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    What was the tide like?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List