7/15-Murray Morning session

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by VinnyBass, Jul 15, 2020.

1. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,975
    The other week, I flipped in the tulles for about 30 minutes and pulled out a nice bass that was just under 6lbs...I normally fish points, structure or basically out in deeper waters so this is a little out of character. A real quick trip Monday(no report) I caught 3 dinks in the tulles flippin' and had 2 others on but they came off.
    Today I headed over to a tulle line and saw a little commotion before I got there and fired out one of my trusty spoons and on my very first cast landed a healthy bass. My goal was to be flipping, but threw the spoon and some reaction baits for a bit and finally started flipping. I worked a few areas and finally pulled in a small bass that was under some fallen tulles. Got a quick bite on the sink a little bit later and pulled back too fast and missed that opportunity. Just too excited I guess. I kept trying to land my bait as far back as I could and my bait got hammered and had a nice bass on for about 10 seconds and it came off. I never saw it but he dug in and pulled hard. It's thick in there and no matter how fast you reel or pull, they have an advantage. When you miss or lose fish...it messes with your head...well, at least my head. Anyway..I worked some shallower tulles and got bit in about 6' and pulled in a tiny micro bass. I went back to my original area of tulles and worked a craw bait all down the line and after a while caught another small bass after one came unbuttoned and then missed a hookset on another bite but landed a nice tulle. Not fishing deep water is something different for me, but it is definitely exciting when you feel the bite in all that cover. Bass were not big and the spoon bass ended up being the largest at 3.50lbs. So for now..Instead of singing "a hunting we will go, a hunting we will go...etc.,.....
    I will be singing "a flippin' I will go, a flippin' I will go, Heigh ho, the dairy-o, a flippin' I will go!" :)
    A couple pics:
    7-15 spoon.PNG
    IMG_3219.PNG
    IMG_3220.PNG
    (no pic of the micro bass....tossed him back quickly and this one was already pretty small)

#1 VinnyBass, Jul 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  2. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,258
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Unbelivable..Mr. Deep Water turning into one of them Flippers! Summertime..they're either deep or they're in the shade, pick your poison! Good job being Mr. Versatile!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,975
    It is funny that most of my bass fishing over several years is in deeper water and its kind of fun messing around in shallow water. Just guessing but probably 90% of my bigger fish over the last several years have come out of water deeper than 15.' It is a habit hard to break and has paid off many times over the year.. I think flippin' is fun, but it takes patience. It's not like I haven't tossed plastic worms in the tulles before, but select targeting small openings and landing a bait over and in between the tulles is challenging. I like a good challenge sometimes. Since there have really not been any top water bite at Murray right now, I will continue to flip and balance it by maybe hitting a point of two before I go home. I wonder when or if there will be a good topwater bite this year at Murray..............right now it is not what it normally it.

4. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,013
    Nice, good job. Punching is a whole new ballgame really.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,097
    Boat:
    Yes
    What, no Frog?!?!?! :emoji_astonished: Thanks for the report and pics Vinny, even if you didn't throw a frog. (cough, cough)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,975
    You mean that bass actually eat frogs deep in the tulles? Ha ha
    Come on man... you know the odds of doing that at Murray.... you’ve been there how many times with your frog arsenal and you know the odds. :)
    I went with the bait going down in the tulles where the bass might be eating stuff.... ha ha
    I bet if you were on the lake I might’ve actually thought about using the frogs. Good luck if you hit your lake this weekend. :)

7. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,097
    Boat:
    Yes
    The odds go up in the tulles ...just need 50lb braid to haul them out of there. I'll definitely be back at my home lake this Saturday. Getting my new Lowrance Hook Reveal 5x SS installed next week. HOORAY!

8. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,975
    I hope the bass are hungry for frogs this week for you. Tight lines my friend!

9. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,097
    Boat:
    Yes
    Thanks Vinny. I'm hoping the same thing. At least early in the morning they should eat my frog. Hope to see you out there soon.

10. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,975
    Once I break off a big fish....then I will go to heavier braid..... right now I’m using ...30 pound... I know that linebig is probably cringing hearing that.... ha ha

#10 VinnyBass, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  11. bendopolo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +473
    I nabbed all my fish this Spring with 20 braid/ 14 flourocarbon on spinning gear. I stayed off the beds and fished the outside fish in 12 to 20 feet of water. Very successful on an untapped resource.

12. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,975
    Great advice. You are a smart guy fishing those depths. It is not surprising to me as that’s my normal area to fish. There are so many guys during that time who fish shallow and tight and many are sight fishing .... and I think that there still lots of bass that are still staging or out a little deeper and in a zone where they cannot be sight fished. Many times at Murray I would stay in for at least 15-18 feet of water and make very long casts parallel to the shore with successful results. Well bendopolo ..... now everyone knows your secret....ha ha. :)
    Tight lines my friend

13. bendopolo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +473
    As you know Mr. VB, there are no secrets to fishing. Only solutions. Solve and catch fish. My Dad told me all you have to do is wiggle the right thing in front of their mouths and you will catch fish.

14. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +22,706
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Thought about going there this afternoon, then remembered it was the 3rd Friday! Should be wide open for you in the morning, RamonaAngler !

15. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,097
    Boat:
    Yes
    I've always used 30 lb braid...haven't broken off yet. :emoji_slight_smile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,097
    Boat:
    Yes
    Thanks Paul...that's what I'm hoping!

17. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,105
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Vinny I use 30/40 braid for flipping. I want to be able to break the line if needed. The key is retying a few times a day, usually 3-4 times. The fish will not Be the ones busting the line. Its the wear on the tulles thats doing it. It slowly scratches the fibers. Once that starts it can snap very easily. I love hearing people on the lakes say....Oh that had to be a huge fish, I’m using braid and it snapped! Nope, just a bad spot on the line.
    I only use super heavy braid tossing frogs and heavey lures like Whooper ploppers.
    My fav flipping is 1/4-3/8 pegged weight and 3/0 hook 30/40 braid direct tie. you have it right Vinny.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List