7/5/21 - Coronado Islands - Shark Attack

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by geofish, Jul 7, 2021.

1. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,155
    2B22BE68-2712-4CA5-AD45-031405BCCD3A.png 3D3456A7-E349-4DFB-AF32-ED263C40D10F.png DCD5F1B1-D361-4AAD-9B74-B7B729329C32.png 4BF5FB63-3BF1-4AF5-A6E7-084935FC16D6.jpeg 8217DEA4-CF92-4762-B0F6-21697E3FE93A.png Location: Coronado Islands
    Time: 6am-11am
    Crew: Wife and Son FishNinja
    Catch:
    1@ 5 foot Mako (released)
    6 Yellowtail (5-14 lbs)
    6 Barracuda (29-35inches)
    10 Calico Bass (all released)

Method:
    Troll
    Live Bait (sardines)
    Irons

Question:
    What’s your vote? Should we have kept the Mako or released it? Beautiful creature! What a shark is supposed to look like….badarse!

Filipino family gladly took 2 Slimers and cooked them. They said they were delicious.

2. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,499
    Don't Mako's eat sea lions? That should be answer enough to your question.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  3. oldfogey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,117
    Name:
    Mike
    I've released a few and kept a few over the years......it's a judgement call. Good eaters for sure. I remember a few years back a fishing bud and I decided to keep a 4 footer that ate a trolled Rapala and came in bleeding. Got him on the boat( a 17' Whaler) and the first thing that happened is the Mako bit the landing net we had on board, got the mesh tangled in its teeth and proceeded to swing his head back and forth knocking the :emoji_poop: out of everything on board(rods and reels, tackle etc) with the handle of the net Between dodging that handle and those teeth it turned into a **** show in a matter of seconds. Skipper almost jumped overboard. I was finally able to pin his head to the deck and cut his head off with a long Forschner blade. Not for the weak of heart.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,431
    Nice ! Cool report Geofish. We used to steak barracuda just like that, through the big knuckle in their back bone. As far as the Mako goes.. There is no shortage of those guys off Pt. Loma and all around the Islands. I guess it just comes down to what you’ve got in your freezer, as to keeping one. My dad and I kept a small 4’ Mako years ago that we caught on an orange Rapala. Good eats, and I still have the jaws.

5. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +59,621
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Good stuff. I like the mid size sharks, there are plenty off our coast though... And, btw Jenx , from my understanding, makos almost never eat pinnipeds, 99%+ of their diet is fish, even the big females... If my memory serves right, that is

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,499
    I quick Google search brought up two different videos of a mako attacking a seal off of Catalina. I don't know anything about Makos, so maybe that isn't the norm.

7. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +59,621
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Heard about two hammerheads working over a dolphin/carcass yesterday. I am sure it happens, just as I am sure they eat far more stingrays than dolphins in everyday diet...

8. skrilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,258
    I don't target sharks. But if I hook one that looks like it won't survive the release then it's invited over for dinner. Makos are delicious.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  9. ironmike

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +400
    Name:
    Ironmike
    Definitely release those Makos. Not only do they eat/harass seals, but they are a super top Trophic level Carnivore, and meat has been tested with high Mercury levels for over 25 years.!! Ya really don't want to eat that. Cook your Sardines, little Macs, Perch Grunion, Bonito, lower trophic levels are much much lower mercury and other metals....take it from a retired Scientist! Just my 2¢:emoji_grin:

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 5
    • List
  10. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,155
    Wow
    Wow, reading that if you’re gonna keep one to eat it should be a young one….

I know they’re delicious. I just didn’t have the heart to kill such a badarse and beautiful creature. I only wanted my $20 lure back which he gratefully gave up with a toothed smile…LOL

Trust me, I’d rather eat a Mako than a Cuda…..But I have friends that love those slime-sticks…..And yesssss, they were extra slimey!

Oh, I neglected to report….We did not lose a fish to Sea-Dogs……Not even close. The whole time at the islands there were only 2 boats working the area…..Heard on the radio they only caught Whitefish…….We were grinning ear to ear on the way in when we heard that!

11. RolloTomasi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,345
    Name:
    c
    Boat:
    Nice tube and yak
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. RolloTomasi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,345
    Name:
    c
    Boat:
    Nice tube and yak
    Jaws… now I want one.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +59,621
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Hammers fight HARD.. they can spool you in seconds

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  14. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,431
    Jaws are fun Rollo.. kinda like building an erector set. I’ve got a sheep, Halibut, and Mako. There are more pieces to the puzzle than you might think in those jaws. Patients is your friend.. ya, glue and patience.. Did you ever build a toothpick house with Elmers glue and toothpicks as a kid ? Every kid should be taught that in 1st grade. I did and that simple craft has helped me build misc things throughout my whole life. ( I’m babbling again ). Ya, anyway, build a toothpick house and your whole life will change for the better.. Blap…

15. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,155
    I’m glad I let Mr Mako go……

Reading about Mako’s…..Mako means “shark” in Maori….

They become sexually mature in 17-19 years. The world is overfishing them faster than they can reproduce. It may not seem to be a problem now but………

It was a great fight! We thought we snagged our Rapala on a rock at first because we weren’t reeling in any line at first.:…

Then Holy “sheeeet!” When it jumped out of the water….

My son reeled it in with me and Mommy watching on…..His first Mako! So Mr. Mako is swimming to make another Son or Daughter’s Day……Our first fish of the day and perhaps the “fish gods” rewarded us with a great half day on the water………

That’s my story, and I am sticking to it. I’m sure this day will be talked about which makes it PRICELESS!

This day is exactly what the Doctor ordered and was good medicine for our aching souls….

Mahalo

16. Bear6813

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,904
    Name:
    Chet
    Boat:
    Needs work
    You're right as usual Werf Makos being a more pelagic shark rarely eat the darn vermin furbags

17. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    How did your faces get so black?? Can't see your smiles

18. Bear6813

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,904
    Name:
    Chet
    Boat:
    Needs work
    If the massive head shakes dont rip the rod outta your hands first. I've only hooked and boated one released unharmed. It was close to 7 foot and thick on a 10 day to Alijos rocks many moons ago when Art Taylor was running the Searcher. Was dropping down half a 4 pound whitefish for BSB at night and it grabbed my bait on the way down. That shark tore me up for about 40 minutes. Had a widened 6/0, the NEWELL Black Marlin conversion, 80 pound line and for a 7 footer it took nearly half that spool like it was nothing. Had a 655xxh with 4" off the tip, your basic pool cue and that rod was doubled over. Wore the hide off my knees pinned to the rail. Finally got her boat side for a pic and cut the leader. I hit the rack after that but damn what a fight.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List