$7.5 million to revamp Lindo lake???

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Slater, May 14, 2019.

1. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,805
    Lindo Lake getting some help from the county
    Not sure what the overall plan is here but seems like a ton of money...
    Turn it into another Santee Lakes?

County agrees to spend $7.5 million to help restore Lakeside park
    By KAREN PEARLMAN
    MAY 9, 2019

12:08 PM
    LAKESIDE —

Lindo Lake County Park in Lakeside is going to get some of the TLC its fans have been waiting for.

The San Diego County Board of Supervisors last week voted unanimously to move ahead with a $7.5 million improvement project for the park’s two popular lakes.
    The improvements will be the county’s first effort in a planned two-part renovation of the lakes and surrounding acreage at the 55-acre park.

Supervisor Dianne Jacob called the renovation plan “awesome” and emphasized that it is “an extremely important project for the community.”

Lindo Lake is thought to be the only natural freshwater lake in San Diego County, according to the Lakeside Historical Society.

Lindo Lake was cut off from its natural source of replenishment in the 1960s when a dam was built upstream on Quail Creek to create Lake Jennings. That move has reduced the amount of water in the lake, which is split into two basins, and deteriorated its water quality. The west side holds most of the water and the east side serves primarily as an overflow area after heavy rain.

Once a lagoon fed by mountain streams, the lake now is primarily replenished by urban and stormwater runoff from surrounding hillsides and groundwater.

The park’s waters attract many species of wildlife. Waterfowl such as herons, pelicans, egrets, geese, ruddy ducks and American coots call it home. There are also sightings of more rare species such as Cinnamon teal ducks, Black-necked stilts and avocets.

Lindo Lake Park is considered the rural community of Lakeside’s centerpiece. Besides the water features and an historic on-site boathouse built in the late 1880s, the park also houses the Lakeside Community Center, Lakeside Teen Center, two playgrounds, a picnic shelter, ball field, outdoor fitness stations, tennis courts and a skate park.

The first phase is expected to improve water quality in Lindo Lake’s east basin by deepening it, adding water to it and taking steps to keep sediment out. Plans also show a fishing pier and at least one bird-watching station, additional picnic tables and benches, water-efficient irrigation and the restoration of native habitat.

The work is expected to begin this winter and be completed in the summer of 2021. A second phase of the project to restore the west basin is expected to be brought to the county board as the first phase nears completion.

Janis Shackelford lives about five miles from Lindo Lake and sits on a subcommittee of the Lakeside Revitalization Committee, a group initiated by Jacob many years ago, according to Shackelford. The committee has been working since 2016 on a concept plan that spoke to the community’s wants and needs and Shackelford said they are collectively “very pleased with the direction that the restoration of Lindo Lake is taking.”

Supervisors have already authorized the county’s Department of Purchasing and Contracting to advertise and award a contract to start the first phase.

Shackelford said the restoration will take about 18 months and will be somewhat disruptive to the neighborhood with lots of excavation going on, but “ultimately we will have a nice, deep lake with all sorts of amenities.”

Lakeside’s unofficial historian, Billy Ortiz, said he is cautiously optimistic about the changes coming. Ortiz, also a member of the subcommittee, said he is concerned about what effect the plan to dredge the lake’s water will have on migratory birds. He also said several trees near the water are slated to be cut down as a part of contouring the shore line.

He said that when both phases are done, “it will be great to see water in both lakes all the time” and that he appreciates that the water will be finally deep enough for bass, catfish and other fish populations to thrive.

Ortiz said the plan’s inclusion of improvements to trails around the lake will put barriers in some parts of the park where wildlife needs more protection but is concerned that the county might have a “slight overkill” on landscape.

“I’ve heard 7,000 plants and trees... some ridiculous amount of planting, will take up a lot of the open space,” Ortiz said. “I’m pushing for them to not do that.”

2. tjohnson619

tjohnson619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +32
    Boat:
    16ft Basstracker
    I like it... I don't think they will turn it into Santee lakes with the library and skate park there... but would be nice to be able to have a easy place to take the 4yr old and fish some from shore.. I used to fish there alot when I was 7 to 12 cause we lived down the street

3. Caballito

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +775
    The money would be better spent on hiring more law enforcement to patrol the area and more maintenance workers to clean it up.

Who’s going to round up the Tweakers/Homeless and keep them from living, using, buying, selling, and everything else that goes on there?

Throw all that money at it and don’t fix the underlying cause of why no one (that works) goes there is a huge waste of money.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. tjohnson619

Ratings:
    +32
    Boat:
    16ft Basstracker
    It's not a money problem.... every law enforcement agency in San diego county is under staffed cause no one wants to be a cop with all the **** that has happened in last 6 years... the sheriff's do go threw there all the time... problem is unless they see them using or selling cant stop and question tgem or warrant check cause the DA will just throw out the case... (I have family and really close friends in sdpd and sheriff's department)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +620
    The same could have been said about Petco park, downtown was a run down shady area as well, now look at the tax revenue that comes in.
    Its beautiful now , one of the nicest ballparks anywhere.
    You have to start somewhere,

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Caballito

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +775
    True, but not really an apples to apples comparison. A MLB stadium near the ocean has a lot more draw then a natural lake that has its water source cut off.

I mean I get it. I live off of Los Coches rd, my Dr office is across the street, I go to Mary’s Donuts. I’d love to have Lindo Lake be as nice as Santee Lakes. Unless they fix a lot of things it’ll end up like it is now. This isn’t the first time they’ve thrown money at Lindo Lake.

Jennings, El Cap, San V are much better alternatives to take a kid fishing. I feel for the LEO’s, tough job I couldn’t do because I’d end up in jail.

7. tjohnson619

Ratings:
    +32
    Boat:
    16ft Basstracker
    I agree.. another example is main st in elcjaon... the built a new police department and then redid the sidewalks and it made all the business remodel/clean up... the tweakers and homeless will move them self once more people start going there

8. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,805
    I spoke to a couple of wardens / maint works as I take my son Dom to the skate park on the regular...
    They're claiming that one of the main focus points is to turn that fishery around, dredge it deeper, clean-up the water & put some fish in there & turn it around from the mud puddle that it is now.
    Would be very cool if it turns into a sweet bass lake but they will need to do something to control the, over-take, etc...
    Maybe an iron ranger like Murray...

9. tjohnson619

Ratings:
    +32
    Boat:
    16ft Basstracker
    i know my in-laws and my wife both take my son down there to walk and feed the ducks... i am sure there are still a few bass in there. it would be really nice to bring the kids derby back with stocked trout once a year. it used to have a ton of accesable shoreline to fish from.. and with a 4yr old its hard to take him on the bass boat to fish... if he goes we normally just take the pontoon to the lakes cause he has room

10. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +620
    If it turns out nice ,weekend nights having the movies at the park like santee lakes did.