7/8- Murray w/RamonaAngler

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by VinnyBass, Jul 8, 2019.

1. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,073
    This morning RamonaAngler joined me back on my home lake of Murray after I strayed off to Hodges yesterday. morning. Greeted with overcast skies and not much stirring for top I knew what RamonaAngler had on his mind. His goal is to catch a bass on a frog at Murray, so we explored a few areas where a frog bite could happen. Cast after cast were all on target next to the tulles, in the tulles, next to the shore, etc., etc., but unfortunately nobody wanted to play. Later I saw some stirring on the surface which caused me to head my boat over and check it out. The bass were up quick and gone so I dropped a spoon down in the depths and wham, I came up with a fat bass that tipped the scale a couple ounces over 6lbs. In the past few years, most of the bass I have caught in the 6lb-7lb range at Murray had huge mouths and were long and skinny. This bass and the other bass between 5- 6.75lbs I caught at Murray this year were solid. So the bass are definitely eating better and healthier. Anyway we started throwing topwater baits here and there and then other reaction baits. I saw RamonaAngler's rod bending as a nice 3 1/2lb bass inhaled his jerk bait. Overall, we both missed some bass, which always is trouble some as you always wonder about the ones you did not catch. Anyway, when the morning was over, I ended up catching 7 bass and RamonaAngler pulled in 4. All fish were on topwater or reaction baits, except one bass I picked up on a worm and almost forget that RamonaAngler picked up his second ever drop shot bass with me. Always a fun day when the country folk come down and fish down here with the city folk...ha ha. Even thought it did not happen again today....@RamonaAngler is still determined to catch one of these Murray bass on a frog. I know with his determination...one day he will. :)
    Just a few pics from today....
    A tad over 6lbs
    final 6.PNG
    A solid 3.5lbs
    ra 3.5.jpg
    w:RA.PNG IMG_8080.PNG
    RamonaAngler should have brought out his "Sutherland Special Frog" and
    maybe the Murray bass would have cooperated better..... :)
    frog.jpg

#1 VinnyBass, Jul 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 20
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,301
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Very nice

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,914
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Murray bass seem to be very shad oriented this past year..good sign! Good job getting on them you guys!

4. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,073
    It is pretty amazing how healthy the bass look compared to other years. Geez...some of those big headed long 6- 7lb'ers I caught a few years ago would have gone at least 8-9 plus lbs....but we cannot live on what could have been(although I am still thinking about all those long skinny bass I caught just a few years ago as I wrote this) ha ha! :) See sample pics below of what I was talking about....just look at the big heads and thin long bodies of these couple of fish:

IMG_8085.PNG IMG_8086.PNG

#4 VinnyBass, Jul 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  5. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,341
    Boat:
    Yes
    I want to thank Vinny for a really fun session at the lake "far from the country". VinnyBass really knows his home lake. He put us on the bass in several spots around the lake. I even caught one on a Drop Shot fisheromen :emoji_slight_smile: Cool and slightly chilly morning with cloud cover until around 10:30 or so. The bass were quite active and busting the surface till the sun came out. Vinny shared some stories of "yesteryear" at Murray. Fun to hear how things were a few years back compared to how they are today. Thanks again Vinny for taking me out and helping me put bass in the boat! Tight Lines!!

6. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,073
    It was fun fishing with you and you caught your first drop shot bass with me out last trip and second this time...so you are on a roll to start nailing bass at your home lake now and any lakes that have bass in them. Maybe you can teach me how to frog fish one day. I think I have 8 or 9 frogs, but I guess one of the real secrets to catching bass is to first actually throw them..ha ha
    Take care my friend and tight lines always! :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,341
    Boat:
    Yes
    Yes, you actually have to throw a frog to catch a bass on one. LOL! We need to go to a lake where the bass actually like frogs, too. We'll get you catching bass on frogs soon. Thanks again Vinny...Fun times!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,448
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    WOW!! You guys had a great trip to the Murray. Those fish look awesome. Congrats to both of you!!

9. surfnfish

surfnfish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Seems like you guys had a fun day on the lake! Nice fish!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,073
    RamonaAngler learned quickly that I almost never shut up. Talking a lot is just something I do.
    Probably fisheromen is happy I work on Fridays or he would hear me talking constantly up at Sutherland...ha ha. It was fun fishing together with RamonaAngler and he said he had a great time, but I bet he enjoyed the peace and quiet ride he had all the way back to Ramona just as much. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,341
    Boat:
    Yes
    Were you talking a lot? Those ear plugs worked great...I didn't even notice....LOL..just kidding. Hey, I like hearing stories and even learned a couple of new things listening to VinnyBass chatting away. :emoji_wink:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,073
    Hey mcfish.....since you live up that way.....do they sell those frogs like the one in the pic that RamonaAngler uses up there in Ramona? I imagine the bass may get tired of eating shad and I wanted to be prepared. I looked at 2 tackle shops down here in the city and could not find one....ha ha. This may be the closest thing to it :)
    Unknown.jpeg

13. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,073
    How has San V been? I know you guys were having a lot of luck out there. I just like to keep up with a few things in case I venture away from Murray... ha ha
    Heck I even went up to Hodges last Sunday.

14. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,448
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    We gave up on San vee for now, between the heat and the miriad of recreational boats it's a wave pool. We've been to your home lake two weeks in a row and really enjoy the peace and calm of Murray. And the catching has been good as well. We both got stripes at Hodge Last Saturday! That hurt. But it's back to Murray manyana. Still a lot to learn. Tight lines

15. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,073
    Wow that’s pretty ironic that I was out at Hodges when you were there. Hope you have good day at Murray. One day we will run into each other hopefully. :)
    Tight lines

16. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,448
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    We will