8/11&12-Slow Bite..Better than No Bite

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by VinnyBass, Aug 12, 2019.

1. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,898
    Over the last 2 days, I hit Murray with RippinLip619 and today with my buddy Joe. Most of the fishing time of the last 2 mornings we chased anything that disturbed the surface. Unfortunately the results were disturbing based on the number of casts made towards the few breaking fish(RippinLip619 ome on an IMA Skimmer, me one on a Fluke and one on a spoon dragged high up along the surface). After the topwater frustration both days(it was hard to leave the middle of the lake when every time we started to, another bass would jump off in the distance)....but after so many bass were out of reach and others just up quickly and down....it was time to worm fish. It was tough bite both days. Worked lots of spots and after lots of work and experimenting it was purple or black worms that helped pull in some bass for us. A few of the bass were kind of chunky, but we worked really hard for them and did not have many bites. For the most part I have definitely seen better days at Murray with a lot less work involved. RippinLip619 pulled a few nice ones out in deeper water and both he broke a line on a fish about an hour after I busted 8lb Izor line on a bass in the same area. Joe and I today had bass hit and miss my IMA Skimmer and miss his fluke all within 6 feet of each other as we both casted to the same bust(Frustrating!). Overall it was fun to chat, laugh, mix it up and get out on the water with friends the past few mornings, while trying to catch bass at the "never knowing what to expect" waters of Lake Murray.
    Here are just a few pics:

IMG_8445.PNG IMG_8444.PNG
    IMG_8446.PNG IMG_8451.PNG
    IMG_8449.PNG IMG_8448.PNG
    IMG_8452.PNG

#1 VinnyBass, Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  2. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,855
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Looks like they've been eating well....the fish, not the fisherman! Good job finding them during the dogdays! Not sure the topwater will get better til they start schooling up on the bait! We need boiling packs, not so many singles!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,759
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Some nice fish! Those are Bass, right? Been a while since I've seen one!

4. bassfisherman619

bassfisherman619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +34
    Thanks for the report. I was there on Sunday on the bank. Was that you guys in the black boat pointed facing the wind on the tapering point? Seems like the water keeps getting higher.

5. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,898
    Most likely it was us. When the breeze comes up, it better to face boat into the wind to better worm fish. The water in the last month or so was up and went down a few feet and I did not really notice it too much this morning. Just seems that it was higher about a month ago. Hopefully it is coming up. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  6. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,358
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    Friggin great job you three!! Beautiful fish and they are even harder to come by this time of the year!!!!!

7. doubletap

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +574
    nothing wrong with those

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,898
    Ok....I just had to smile when I saw that mcfish and fisheromen found what I said in response to bassfisherman619 to be "helpful." What I said earlier was..... "When the breeze comes up, it better to face boat into the wind to better worm fish."
    That was pretty obvious eh guys? Maybe it could be helpful to others who don't know that one day? :)

9. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,898
    Thanks. Lots of casts and threw a lot of baits out there. Seemed that there were no bass within a football field of them about 90% of the time...ha ha. I think both guys got tired of me saying this spot should be pretty good(and then me ramble on of past successes fishing there while they were most likely thinking....geez, does this guy ever shut up and when is he going to take us to his secret spots...ha ha). :)

10. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,322
    Boat:
    Yes
    Tough days sometimes help us get out of our comfort zone and try new/different things. You guys caught some decent ones out there. Thanks for the report and pics VinnyBass

11. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,759
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Not really! Mine was a "helpful" helpful not a facetious helpful. Boat control when worm fishing is critical! I pay attention when someone who has been fishing for 300 years speaks!

12. surfnfish

surfnfish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Good to see you out there on Sun and great job getting on some fish! All I was able to scrounge up that morning was a super dink a hair bigger than the worm I was using. I don’t think I was ever so happy catching such a small fish. But I avoided the skunk haha. I will say that even though the fish weren’t biting for me it was a beautiful day.

Tight lines!

Tim

13. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,898
    Paul.......Your wit and humor remind me of a dog whistle. It mostly goes undetected, but those that get it, they really get it! Always enjoy your comments as nobody has entertained me like you in my lifetime so far(over 230 something plus years).
    :)

14. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,855
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    I guessed not a day over 220...

15. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,898
    People that know me know that I am a pretty humble guy, but do appreciate the nice comment about my age. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List