8/3 north county

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by maraxus, Aug 3, 2022.

1. maraxus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +346
    Went for an afternoon session, tried bunch of lures. The salad was pretty thick, there was plenty of seaweed at every cast. Despite the seaweed, I probably had my most successful session this summer after skunking out on almost al my trips. Got my first legal sized Calico, followed by a legal halibut and a short halibut. Calico was 14.5 inches and the halibut were 24 and 16 inches. I caught all the fish with 4 inch swim bait with 1 oz head. The big halibut had some sort of cut on it, looked pretty fresh. Maybe some sort of bird dove on it? And the short one had some weird looking rash. While trying to photo the short hali, it kept flopping around and threw bunch of sand on my reel, on top of that, later in the day the rod slipped and my reel got almost completely submerged in water. I washed with fresh water as soon as I get back, but today may be the beginning of the end for the reel.
    CalicoBass.jpeg
    LegalHali.jpeg
    ShortHali.jpeg

#1 maraxus, Aug 3, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  2. jjdbike

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +918
    Nice session!
    Great reward for putting in time and grinding through the skunks and weeds!!! I respect your tenacity. It can be disheartening and frustrating when you're working hard and get skunked. Many of us here, perhaps myself included might have given up or moved w/ that weed situation.
    Was surf and or current big? I ask because from what I've seen and read 1oz is on the heavy side. Did you need that weight to punch through the weeds?
    Thanks for posting. Tight lines.
    JD

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. YNW_FISHY

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +855
    Name:
    YNWGEEZY
    Way to work thru the salad! beautiful fish

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Rattus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +126
    Name:
    Brian
    Nice Calico and 'buts! The cut is curious, I would think a bird would have a hard time getting to a halibut since they're generally buried in sand on the bottom. It's a clean cut.

5. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,680
    Nice fishing... Way to tough out the bad conditions...
    Butch

6. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,532
    Nice catches. I've noticed when there's lots of salad, weeds, kelp.... the fish are still there- just a hassle to deal with cleaning your hook after each retrieve.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. maraxus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +346
    Thank you! It was definitely a grind working through the seaweed, but I can only go out fishing once a week and I didn't want to cut my only session short. I probably walked close to a mile covering ground and it was quite weedy in general. I used 1oz jig head for two reasons - the action of my surf rod is a little on the heavy side, so I cannot throw smaller weights (less than 1/2 oz) too much. The other reason is it was outgoing tide yesterday afternoon, so areas close to the surf was getting pretty shallow, I wanted to cast as far as possible. All the fish hit soon after my casts, close to the maximum distance I can throw.

8. maraxus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +346
    I'm not sure about the origin of the cut, it doesn't really look like a bite from a bigger fish. That's why I thought it maybe from claws or beak of a bird, but your guess is as good as mine.

9. maraxus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +346
    Thank you!

10. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +63,248
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Solid session there. When weeds are bad, I use chum to bring them closer to minimize the amount of line I have in the water to reduce the hassle... That said, I use bait, so there is that. Sometimes there's not much choice to deal with salad or not if you want to fish...

11. maraxus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +346
    Very good point on the amount of line. I didn't try stick baits like LC or Daiwa SP minnow yesterday since they seem to collect even more weed. But even with the swimbait that usually collects less weed, I noticed the weeds were sticking to braid line, especially around the knot to flouro leader. Which in turn messes up the action of the lure and currents have more of an impact on the retrieve

12. perch killer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,211
    Really well done considering the salad conditions. Congrats.

13. inthedeep2

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +490
    good way to justify an upgrade. lol
    also, a good way to break it down and attempt to clean it, if it doesnt work then you get the experience of breaking the reel down

14. maraxus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +346
    Indeed so. The fish gods obviously wanted me to replace my reel, clearly yesterday's events were a sign for that :). If it starts acting weird on my next sessions, I will disassemble it as you mentioned, should help with my reel maintenance skills

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. jjdbike

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +918
    Interesting & creative work around Werf.
    I can see that working in semi protected pools around reef. Fries that also work on flatter unprotected open sand beaches?
    JD

16. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +63,248
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    On open beaches, you need a rip or a reef hole, jetty etc to pin that chum to an edge and concentrate those fish where they can be effectively targeted. One issue comes when you use rips that surfers will utilize as a highway, as throwing big handfuls of say, tuna bloodline chunks may well invite every toothy boy in a mile into a ten foot swath. I use chum often, and there are many methods that work, but a bit of forethought is necessary.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. ironmike

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +489
    Name:
    Ironmike
    Take your reel apart and soak in fresh water, in a bucket, shak eit good under water, you can get the sand out...may take two separate soaks, but I've done it, saved beached reels that way... after second soak , let air dry 2 days and add a little lube, see how it feels. Good Luck.

18. maraxus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +346
    Thanks for the recommendation. I thoroughly washed it with freshwater and left it to dry. Afterwards, I removed the drag knob and the spool, and there were only a few pieces of sand on the seal of the drag knob, and almost none under the spool, which I cleaned with a dry brush. I think the reel is in OK shape, not as terrible as I guessed. I will know it in more detail on my next fishing session.

19. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,754
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    HAAAHAA Only chum when the waves suck, and its blown out, if its good there may be issues!!!
    LOL I stopped surfing after 42 years of it so never mind chum al you want.
    Try a big Bluefin head chumline at 15th street Del Mar where the driveway ends LOL I have heard there is a grey suit guy that hangs out there or at Torrey pines..

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List